Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am meeting a lot of new people nowadays. No one can tell I was ever big enough to qualify for bariatric surgery. I was working with a sales rep on Wednesday and we are discussing bariatric furniture for a doctors office. He informed me that I should not use the term “bariatric” and that Overweight people prefer to be called “people of size”. Never heard that one. Have you? Of course he has no idea I was a “person of size” myself.

Edited by Everythinganna

yes - but I haven't heard that term in quite awhile.

Yes, I heard of it. Not sure what to think about it though since I'm no English native speaker and the slight nuances of a language are often difficult to get for a non-native speaker. If you're in doubt I would take the advice of the person having more experience with this issue.

Personally I'm an advocate of the "people first" language. I absolutely abhor the use of expressions like "the obese", "a diabetic", "an alcoholic", "an addict" etc. and I can't understand why people would label themselves as such.

Nobody would say e. g. that a person/a patient is "a lymphomic" when talking about a patient with a lymphoma.

Sorry, I guess that was not very helpful.

Those are some cool chairs the doc that did me had some huge ones in his lobby, Found it amazing that someobody could fill some of them -

I'm so over this new phase of political correctness......

People of size, sounds crazy to me. I personally don't want to be referred to as such at any size. @Superman84 , I agree with you and all the political correctness is a phase. We can be polite, but People of size? @NYJenn, we are all people of some size that occupies space, right? No one is invisible or without consuming space no matter how small or big. No offense to those who are comfortable with that term, this is just my personal view and preference.

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies

The guy who said this also told me that he’d recently sold furniture to a “fat farm”... he had NO IDEA that I’d had the surgery. It was one of those moments where I was deciding if I should drop the bomb or not.

Wait, I think that’s a NSV!

18 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

Wait, I think that’s a NSV!

Most of these so-called NSVs people report in the NSV thread bring up feelings of disgust in myself.

Did you call him out on what he said about the "fat farm"?

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Most of these so-called NSVs people report in the NSV thread bring up feelings of disgust in myself.

Did you call him out on what he said about the "fat farm"?

No I was in a clients office and within earshot of a customer. I didn’t say a word. After we left there I googled fat farm just to be sure I understood what he was talking about. I thought he met a bariatric surgery office but I guess he meant a camp. Regardless it was disgusting. I have not said anything yet.

Also that’s why I posted this on here. I was trying to calibrate my response. I thought I would see what you guys thought about it before I reacted.

1 hour ago, Everythinganna said:

Also that’s why I posted this on here. I was trying to calibrate my response. I thought I would see what you guys thought about it before I reacted.

Oh, I thought it was about this "person of size" thing?

It was both (if I’m understanding you correctly). Same conversation.

Southwest and other airlines have a "person of size" policy (or that's what they used to call it) regarding when you have to buy 2 seats. I think southwest did change that policy somewhat to make it less of a fat shaming event (like when they used to make people purchase a second ticket as they were boarding bc of their size). So it's been out there for awhile.