Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 years post op - Starting to gain little bits at a time

Hey all!

Just about two years post op. And am starting to gain. I went from 220lbs down to about 200 even. But I’ve gained 15lbs in the last 5 months. Any suggestions on how to counter this?
I am almost two years post op.

are you still measuring/weighing and tracking your food? If you're not, I'd consider it. I'm 4.5 years out and still have to do this - and probably will for the rest of my life. I've learned I'm not good at estimating and remembering what I ate. My weight starts heading north pretty quickly when I stop closely monitoring my food intake.

Congratulations on two years out.

You have lost weight before you can do it again. I’ve never met anyone who maintains weight effortlessly. It’s recognizing a gain and going back to basics. Logging your food. Staying within your weight loss calories/macros, exercise and hydrate.

Some threads that may help to get back on track.

Dec weight loss and motivation challenge

Doing the head work.

You need a plan of action, now. Start tracking your food, choose healthy lower calorie foods or low carb foods if you are doing LCHF/keto and exercise. Better to put a bit of effort in now rather than need a LOT of effort later on plus the beating yourself up over not maintaining.

Good luck, you CAN do it and there is SO much support and info on here to help you.

I'm one year post-op, no gains yet, but no losses, but I started sneaking in Cookies and crackers. So I've cut them out again and I have faithfully kept a food journal online every day for a year at myfitnesspal.com which keeps me mindful of what I'm eating and how many calories, etc. I also visited the nutritionist this past week to get back on track.

Sorry I need to correct my weight. It was supposed to say 320lbs down to 200

Anyway, thank you so much for the responded. I’ve redone loaded the Baritastic app for monitoring my intake again as well as completely thrown away the crap food in my house.

I will be certainly taking this seriously. Thanks again!

You've got this! You have lost a lot of weight!

19 minutes ago, Nomanativ said:

Sorry I need to correct my weight. It was supposed to say 320lbs down to 200

Anyway, thank you so much for the responded. I’ve redone loaded the Baritastic app for monitoring my intake again as well as completely thrown away the crap food in my house.

I will be certainly taking this seriously. Thanks again!

oh yea - that's a truckload of weight and there was a lot of hard work behind that. You definitely don't want to gain that back!!! Losing 15 lbs is totally do-able. Way easier than losing 50 or 100 lbs. You should be able to turn this around using the above suggestions. You can do this!!

Just want to say congrats for catching it at 15lbs and for recommitting to health! Congrats on losing 120lbs. That's phenomenal and no small feat!!! Make sure you give yourself credit for that dedication and effort!

For me, I find it very easy to gain and my maintenance is a lot like a teetertotter. It goes up easily but it does come back down with my normal Forever Diet for WLS (weight loss success). So I look at maintaining a pretty tight 5 lb window. Tracking is critical in my honest opinion. As is daily weighing (when I'm needing extra accountability) and measuring monthly or weekly. Or taking pics. Whatever you need to actually SEE the losses!

I also have to walk daily for 30-60 minutes and drink my 100+oz of liquids each day (64oz of that is plain water) and take my Vitamins.

Hang with us and we can help keep you focused on success.

well, what are you eating and how much of it?

I am also 2 years out, started at 266, now 190. I am 5'8 female. My goal is 170. I am stuck. Not gaining, but also not losing. I have been stuck for about 8 months. My food intake is still tiny, and my sleeve has never stretched. To be honest, I get fed up with my sleeve, and I hate eating out. I can barely fit in a side salad as a main. I get terrible symptoms of dumping eating steak, chicken or fish. That's exhausting and not very social! I am wondering if I am actually not eating enough, and I am in starvation mode. I am going to go back on to my Optifast shakes to up my Protein. Maybe you should do the same? Get your metabolism fired up again?

13 hours ago, Saxons said:

I am also 2 years out, started at 266, now 190. I am 5'8 female. My goal is 170. I am stuck. Not gaining, but also not losing. I have been stuck for about 8 months. My food intake is still tiny, and my sleeve has never stretched. To be honest, I get fed up with my sleeve, and I hate eating out. I can barely fit in a side salad as a main. I get terrible symptoms of dumping eating steak, chicken or fish. That's exhausting and not very social! I am wondering if I am actually not eating enough, and I am in starvation mode. I am going to go back on to my Optifast shakes to up my Protein. Maybe you should do the same? Get your metabolism fired up again?

Hugs.

Sorry you are struggling with food tolerance. When was the last time you talked with your surgeon’s office? You might want to give them a call to rule out medical issues.

Wish you the best,

Jennifer

Almost all of us are in starvation mode - its anything under around 1200 cals a day, depending on sex/age/etc. So don't think that it's some really low number and that's the issue.

Sorry to hear of your struggles! How frustrating!

What are your symptoms of dumping? I also have dumping but mine are when I eat too many carbs in a meal and are also related to too much fat in a meal.

What's your current weight? Do you log your food? Maybe you could give us a couple days examples of food and we might spot something for you? How many grams of Protein do you get a day and from what sources?

I second the idea of checking in with your surgeon to r/o any medical issues and also talking to your RD to see if she can help formulate a game plan?

((hugs))

1 minute ago, lvidacovich said:

Almost all of us are in starvation mode - its anything under around 1200 cals a day, depending on sex/age/etc. So don't think that it's some really low number and that's the issue.

According to Dr. Jason Fung, in order to be in "starvation mode" you have to have lost ALL fat stores beyond that percentage we're never supposed to lose.

:)