Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So im almost a week out of having Sleeve to SADI revision.

Everything is great. Was out of hospital the next day and am up and about, walking, shopping and generally doing the "norm", just taking it easy.

Technically, I'm supposed to be on stage one post op diet, but have managed to tolerate soft foods (scrambled egg with mashed Beans, thick Soups, flaked fish and mash etc). I know i shouldnt be eating this yet but my surgeon told me that since the sleeve to SADI didnt involve touching the stomach, i didnt need to be "TOO" concerned about following the post op diet and just be careful.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has had this op and how it has affected them.

Before the op (even post sleeve) i was eating 5/6 bags of crisps, chocolate, nuts, fizzy drinks etc and it had no "sleeve" effects on me whatsoever, other than putting weight on, i was feeling no effect from the sleeve.

Since the op, ive tried "testing" the SADI, by having a small (one square) of chocolate or one crisp etc to see if i'd end up dumping or on the loo....... nothing.

Today, whilst out, my son bought some "chip shop style" chips. Instinctively, i took a couple and munched on them without thinking. Again....... nothing. no feeling sick, no needing to run to the toilet etc, and im worried that even though im changing my diet massively post op, i'll be able to tolerate the same foods as before, which is something i didnt want to be able to do.

Any advice? And please dont just say 'dont eat chips'. Im looking for people who have constructive comments.

Thanks

Carl.

Edited by CarlUK
typo

2 hours ago, CarlUK said:

So im almost a week out of having Sleeve to SADI revision.

Everything is great. Was out of hospital the next day and am up and about, walking, shopping and generally doing the "norm", just taking it easy.

Technically, I'm supposed to be on stage one post op diet, but have managed to tolerate soft foods (scrambled egg with mashed Beans, thick Soups, flaked fish and mash etc). I know i shouldnt be eating this yet but my surgeon told me that since the sleeve to SADI didnt involve touching the stomach, i didnt need to be "TOO" concerned about following the post op diet and just be careful.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has had this op and how it has affected them.

Before the op (even post sleeve) i was eating 5/6 bags of crisps, chocolate, nuts, fizzy drinks etc and it had no "sleeve" effects on me whatsoever, other than putting weight on, i was feeling no effect from the sleeve.

Since the op, ive tried "testing" the SADI, by having a small (one square) of chocolate or one crisp etc to see if i'd end up dumping or on the loo....... nothing.

Today, whilst out, my son bought some "chip shop style" chips. Instinctively, i took a couple and munched on them without thinking. Again....... nothing. no feeling sick, no needing to run to the toilet etc, and im worried that even though im changing my diet massively post op, i'll be able to tolerate the same foods as before, which is something i didnt want to be able to do.

Any advice? And please dont just say 'dont eat chips'. Im looking for people who have constructive comments.

Thanks

Carl.

*Please consider not eating the chips for now*

*Try to follow your plans for a while especially so newly post op*

*Protect your surgery from unnecessary complications within your power*

GOOD LUCK 💚

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

*Please consider not eating the chips for now*

*Try to follow your plans for a while especially so newly post op*

*Protect your surgery from unnecessary complications within your power*

GOOD LUCK 💚

Thanks for the response. As mentioned, I am changing my diet massively and will endeavour to eat much more healthy from now on.

Trust me, having a crisp or 2 chips is light years away from what i used to have before. You literally wouldn't believe it.

And I am taking things slowly regarding post op plan. If i do eat anything other than the "shakes and purees" I make sure it is puree consistency before swallowing.

My main reason for the post however was to ask how much others can tolerate of fats and sugars post surgery before they have any symptoms.

With my sleeve, i never had ANY complications. In 12 years i had it, i have been sick twice. Never had any reflux at all either.

But the SADI is supposed to physically make you avoid sugars and fats, and i AM avoiding them en mass. But ive had the odd small amount, and wondered if there was an 'amount' that shouldn't be crossed.

I've read no more than 6-7G of sugar per meal up to no more than 20g per meal. Ive read no more than "x" amount of fat per meal.

im just wondering why, im not getting any "STOP THAT" warnings after eating a bit of chocolate or a couple of fries. Or is it just that your body will be able to tolerate that small amount, but push it further and you'll be sorry.

I just want to understand a bit more about how it works

Carl x

1 hour ago, CarlUK said:

Thanks for the response. As mentioned, I am changing my diet massively and will endeavour to eat much more healthy from now on.

Trust me, having a crisp or 2 chips is light years away from what i used to have before. You literally wouldn't believe it.

And I am taking things slowly regarding post op plan. If i do eat anything other than the "shakes and purees" I make sure it is puree consistency before swallowing.

My main reason for the post however was to ask how much others can tolerate of fats and sugars post surgery before they have any symptoms.

With my sleeve, i never had ANY complications. In 12 years i had it, i have been sick twice. Never had any reflux at all either.

But the SADI is supposed to physically make you avoid sugars and fats, and i AM avoiding them en mass. But ive had the odd small amount, and wondered if there was an 'amount' that shouldn't be crossed.

I've read no more than 6-7G of sugar per meal up to no more than 20g per meal. Ive read no more than "x" amount of fat per meal.

im just wondering why, im not getting any "STOP THAT" warnings after eating a bit of chocolate or a couple of fries. Or is it just that your body will be able to tolerate that small amount, but push it further and you'll be sorry.

I just want to understand a bit more about how it works

Carl x

original.gif.9aceafdd062e6a18a1c10dba956c350b.gif

What's *supposed* to happen and what *actually* happens consistently are not necessarily the same.

But don't worry because you've got a plan to follow that ensures success 🏆

Try to resist the urge to test the boundaries (for now), resume life as if they are intact and everything works like it should. You'll know for certain down the road anyway.

Speedy and Safe recovery from your revision 💚

Why go through Surgery if you're just going to push the boundaries and tempt yourself back into the junk food that was killing you...

1 hour ago, Superman84 said:

Why go through Surgery if you're just going to push the boundaries and tempt yourself back into the junk food that was killing you...

How very constructive.

Firstly, as my post mentioned, i dont want to be shot down for what i eat. That really is none of anybody's business. I didnt ask anyone to comment on what i was eating. I asked how much they could tolerate.

By pushing boundaries i simply meant learning how much of a particular food value one can tolerate. When making a meal how much fat should be put in, how much sugar is considered OK, because people DO need fats and sugars.

And my surgeon stated quite categorically that junk food CAN still be enjoyed, in sparse and small quantities. EVERY NOW AND THEN.

Nobody said i was going back to my old ways, because my old ways wouldnt have been having one chip, it would have been having double portion.

Many people would not go through the surgery at all if, afterwards they could not enjoy a small amount of treats, as its not all about what you eat its about the quality of life and some people would see eating pulses and carrots for the rest of their life and not being able to indulge in a square of chocolate every now and then as simply "not worth the surgery"

Again, I am not saying that I am not changing my diet, i AM. Massively.

Carl.

Edited by CarlUK

It's my opinion that you shouldn't rely on surgery to keep you from eating certain foods - you're setting yourself up to fail as I believe you'd still find bad foods that your surgery would tolerate. It sounds to me like you haven't made the head changes needed to make either surgery a success and I fear you'll be looking into another surgery within the next couple or three years.

You're a week out and already eating fries on instinct. Tells me most of what I need to know personally. On top of that you're already not sticking to the post-op diet.

Edited by lvidacovich

Exactly