Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't tell you yet, but that's exactly what I'm doing Wed Nov 20. I'll let you know!

I just had my revision on October 24 and honestly, it was no more difficult than the band surgery. My surgery even ended up being more complicated than they thought it would be and it was still pretty easy. I was able to manage my pain with Tylenol and the pain completely resolved pretty quickly. I still have one incision that is being hateful, but that's been the worst of it for me.

I work a desk job and went back 6 days after surgery, but probably could have gone back sooner. I have been having complications from anesthesia, so that's been a pain in the butt.

All that said, I handle pain very, very well, so your mileage may vary.

I just had my revision on October 24 and honestly, it was no more difficult than the band surgery. My surgery even ended up being more complicated than they thought it would be and it was still pretty easy. I was able to manage my pain with Tylenol and the pain completely resolved pretty quickly. I still have one incision that is being hateful, but that's been the worst of it for me.

I work a desk job and went back 6 days after surgery, but probably could have gone back sooner. I have been having complications from anesthesia, so that's been a pain in the butt.

All that said, I handle pain very, very well, so your mileage may vary.

Thank you for your input.but how is eating?

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/16/2019 at 11:55 PM, angievasser42@gmail.com said:

Thank you for your input.but how is eating?

Eating has been a breeze for me, so much easier than compared to with the band! My band had slipped and they didn't know until I was on the surgical table, so I don't know how long it had been slipped, but eating with the band was always uncomfortable for me. I'm not sure how you do with the band, but I don't get stuck now, it doesn't hurt to eat, nothing like that. I have gotten the rare case of nausea, but I have been able to pinpoint it and eliminate it from my diet for the time being (like certain flavors of Mio in my water).

The only frustrating thing for me is with my band I felt full, I knew I was done eating, I don't have that with the bypass. I'm thinking it's just a learning curve or head hunger, so for now I try to measure my meals and stick with only that.

Eating has been a breeze for me, so much easier than compared to with the band! My band had slipped and they didn't know until I was on the surgical table, so I don't know how long it had been slipped, but eating with the band was always uncomfortable for me. I'm not sure how you do with the band, but I don't get stuck now, it doesn't hurt to eat, nothing like that. I have gotten the rare case of nausea, but I have been able to pinpoint it and eliminate it from my diet for the time being (like certain flavors of Mio in my water).

The only frustrating thing for me is with my band I felt full, I knew I was done eating, I don't have that with the bypass. I'm thinking it's just a learning curve or head hunger, so for now I try to measure my meals and stick with only that.

Awesome thank you for sharing.

I go for my revision next Tuesday. I’m also having lap band issues and excited but nervous too. Look forward to hearing how are after surgery. Best of luck to us all!

Yeah been have a lot issues with mine. It more with my port than any thing .I cant wait for it to be gone. Good luck looking forward to hear how you are doing.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, Elektra51 said:

I go for my revision next Tuesday. I’m also having lap band issues and excited but nervous too. Look forward to hearing how are after surgery. Best of luck to us all!

Elektra51 - First, how did your surgery go? I hope you are well and on your way to a happier you!

Second, I'm in Houston, too and am wondering where you had it done and who was your surgeon? Was it one surgery or two?

I have my first consultation on 1/22, but am wondering who to actually choose, etc. I too have a band with issues for YEARS. I was banded in 2006 and it never functioned as it should and has given me nothing but trouble. I just gave up on it and thought I'd have to suffer forever. I recently decided that was ridiculous and had a choice to not grow old as an overweight person, feeling old before my time. I also have a painful port - it sticks out so is unsightly, too when wearing a fitted top. I also have horrible, GERD off and on, little restriction when it counts, then stuck and vomiting on something stupid, actual pain around where my band sits. I never found the "sweet spot" some banders have talked about. I was either not restricted, or barfing. Even now almost completely unfilled, I barf and get heartburn, GERD and vomiting. All of that would have been fine had I actual restriction and weight loss... I want this thing GONE!

I was banded in 2005 and suffered many of the same issues. My revision will be in two steps. My band was removed about 3 weeks ago, my gastric bypass is scheduled for Feb 27. The band removal went very well. My post surgery pain was primarily in my shoulder from the CO2 used in laparoscopic surgery. All was manageable with Tylenol. All the best on your journey.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:50 AM, Mark.olypenn said:

I was banded in 2005 and suffered many of the same issues. My revision will be in two steps. My band was removed about 3 weeks ago, my gastric bypass is scheduled for Feb 27. The band removal went very well. My post surgery pain was primarily in my shoulder from the CO2 used in laparoscopic surgery. All was manageable with Tylenol. All the best on your journey.

Thanks, Mark. Good luck with healing from your unbanding and sailing through your bypass!

I'm hoping I can be unbanded and get RNY simultaneously. Prefer one surgery to two. Since it has been so long, I'm not sure if that's possible. However, I haven't actually met with any surgeons in person yet, so we'll see. The worst part (I hope) is removing this stinkin' port. There's scar tissue on the tubing, I can feel it.

My older sister, BIL and a niece have all had RNY and have been long-term successful. Fingers crossed for all of us!

I was lucky that my surgeon will do the revision in one surgery. It was nice only having one hospitalization, recovery, etc. My lap band was over 10 years old so I'm not sure the age of the band is a factor as much as the scar tissue is and once it forms it might not get worse the longer it's there.

Good luck, y'all! However you do it, it is TOTALLY worth getting that useless band and port out. I can lay on my stomach without the port sticking into me without pain now!

6 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

I was lucky that my surgeon will do the revision in one surgery. It was nice only having one hospitalization, recovery, etc. My lap band was over 10 years old so I'm not sure the age of the band is a factor as much as the scar tissue is and once it forms it might not get worse the longer it's there.

Good luck, y'all! However you do it, it is TOTALLY worth getting that useless band and port out. I can lay on my stomach without the port sticking into me without pain now!

Thanks, JRT Mom! I'm worried about the scar tissue. If the rest is like my port, there is a fair bit.

My niece had a fundoplication for severe GERD prior to RNY and wanted the sleeve, but surgeon wouldn't do it, thank goodness. She's 7 years post RNY and still 100 pounds down at her goal with little to no GERD. No magic bullet, but it is a great tool. I'm ready for the challenge and I can't wait!

Yes, the bypass is much better for people who have GERD. I'm happy your niece has had such a great outcome with her RNY! You will do well with this too, especially since you have a family member who's been through it to help you. Keep us posted!