Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s the reason why we can’t lift?

So I know we had surgery, the body needs to heal. Yes, and it takes 6 weeks for the stomach to heal. Got it. But what does lifting more then 30lb do?

Really what happens if we lift ? What would happen badly to us say we lifted more then 35lbs.
Here’s the reason I’m asking :

I work with kids with cerebral palsy. Tomorrow is my first day back. Saturday I’ll be 2 week post op. The main client I work with is a 2 year old and she’s no more then 25lb. I’d have to be moving her from a couch like surface, to her chair to do feeding therapies with me, move her to get changed, move her to a soft surface to do stretches and so on. She can’t lift herself so I have to move her around, so I’d be picking her up and placing her somewhere.
would this be okay? Is this going to cause some sort of damage to me? Is there a certain way I should be lifting her for right now? My stitches are out.
i really need help on this issue.
thank you!!

Short answer: This is a question for your surgeon.

Slightly longer answer: Your abdominal wall muscles are still healing. You do not want to stress them, break them back open, and end up with a hernia at one of your incision sites.

Gastric surgery goes through the abdominal wall. Anytime that happens, until it if fully healed, it is weakened and susceptible to herniation. The abdominals' purpose is to provide rigid support for the spine while exerting force (e.g. lifting). If you are lifting something that is heavy enough to exert greater pressure to the abdominal walls integrity, you could tear open the incision from the inside and cause a hernia.

Of course, that is a worse case scenario. Safe practice would be to use a tight compress or lifting belt that goes around your stomach.

*edit* lol, David beat me to it.

Edited by BigViffer

Short answer: This is a question for your surgeon.

Slightly longer answer: Your abdominal wall muscles are still healing. You do not want to stress them, break them back open, and end up with a hernia at one of your incision sites.
That's what my surgeon told me. To avoid getting a hernia.

9 minutes ago, Elisibeth777 said:

Do you thinking lifting the girl from a seated position to standing, putting her where needed would be okay?

I would direct this question to your surgeons office. Not a random group of strangers on the internet. :)

I say that as an RN with a Masters degree in the field.

Edited by VSGDavid

@VSGDavid I have, I was told period don’t lift more then 30lb period. So I’m looking for insight from people who have gone through this, Their own experiences. Of course I’ve asked why and that’s the answer I’ve received over and over. I was looking for lifting tips, opinions about lifting and reasons why- that people have received; to compare my knowledge with fellow people whom have gone through this. As I’m new in this community and only want to be safe and successful.

There is an old saying, "If you have to ask if you should, you probably shouldn't."

It is far better to be cautious in this situation.

2 hours ago, Elisibeth777 said:

So I know we had surgery, the body needs to heal. Yes, and it takes 6 weeks for the stomach to heal. Got it. But what does lifting more then 30lb do?

Really what happens if we lift ? What would happen badly to us say we lifted more then 35lbs.
Here’s the reason I’m asking :

I work with kids with cerebral palsy. Tomorrow is my first day back. Saturday I’ll be 2 week post op. The main client I work with is a 2 year old and she’s no more then 25lb. I’d have to be moving her from a couch like surface, to her chair to do feeding therapies with me, move her to get changed, move her to a soft surface to do stretches and so on. She can’t lift herself so I have to move her around, so I’d be picking her up and placing her somewhere.
would this be okay? Is this going to cause some sort of damage to me? Is there a certain way I should be lifting her for right now? My stitches are out.
i really need help on this issue.
thank you!!

It goes against what you normally learn (to tighten your abs/core when lifting) but try and keep them relaxed and use your arm muscles more. That at least would put less strain on your abs. If you can try to exhale when you lift that may help you to also keep your abs relaxed. If you can use a towel or pillow case under her during part of the movement to slid her vs lifting her that would help too. Another option would be to ask a coworker to lift her and just avoid it altogether.

@BigViffer thank you. My opinion also, just sucks it’s not a true option for me. She relies on me and it’s been 2 weeks now. I have to go back. If I could I’d wait 2 more weeks, I’ll try to do as little as possible when it comes to lifting /getting her into position(s). Thanks!!

VGS David answered the question you asked. Dont think he was trying to be judgemental. If you ask professionals (also a nurse here) you will get a similar answer. Follow docs advise, consult your doc, etc. Now, you want to know other experiences? Maybe you will hurt yourself. Maybe you wont. You have to decide if it is worth the risk. Me? I listen to my docs and my body. My doc said not to lift over 10 pounds. Your doc was generous in saying 30 pounds. An adult human being weighs much more. Yes, you might hurt yourself. Or you could get lucky and be fine. I personally wouldn't risk it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

VGS David answered the question you asked. Dont think he was trying to be judgemental. If you ask professionals (also a nurse here) you will get a similar answer. Follow docs advise, consult your doc, etc. Now, you want to know other experiences? Maybe you will hurt yourself. Maybe you wont. You have to decide if it is worth the risk. Me? I listen to my docs and my body. My doc said not to lift over 10 pounds. Your doc was generous in saying 30 pounds. An adult human being weighs much more. Yes, you might hurt yourself. Or you could get lucky and be fine. I personally wouldn't risk it.

Sorry.... 25 pounds MIGHT be fine (my reading your first post was interrupted by other numbers being said to me

Do you work in a facility or out of a home? Facilities usually have specialized lifts etc for move assists. You could be risking a lot because moving another human comes with a lot of unknown variable every single time, you could endanger not just yourself but also to your client.

Good Luck 💜