Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anal Odor

Nope, I'm not kidding this time. According to my surgeon, I will most likely lose my Band in the future due to "rejection." It is rare, but it happens, and it's happening to me. So I have to consider my other options, which means I'm considering a future gastric bypass.

My biggest concern is the horrific anal odor that's one of the documented occasional side effects. I know 2 people that have to wear carbon filters in their underpants because the smell is so offensive. Can anyone offer an explaination? More info? Comments, suggestions, concerns... WITHOUT letting this thread get too far off track? Greg, I'm talking to you, because somehow you'll turn it into a sex thread!

Betty, how's this one?

Delarla I'm not sure on an answer on this one, but I just wanted to say,whatever you decide to do i wish you the very best of luck. You deserve it after all you have been through!

I have two Aunts (by marriage) that had it done and they didn't get that odor at all. I know a lot of people do get it though. I don't have any suggestions for you (I could say something here). How about we just keep our fingers crossed that you won't ever have to worry about that! :D

Between my wife and I we know about a dozen people who have had the RNY. So far I haven't got wind of any problem. And though I nosed around quite a bit I didn't discover any one with this particular problem. And really, it's only a problem for the spectators!

DeLara, My best friend had gastric bypass 3 years ago and has kept off 150 lbs.. she sits next to me at work.. and I dont ever smell her booty... nor has she complained about it..

Of course there is an occasional fart.. but that can be solved with room spray lol

Hey Lisa,

I've heard the same rumors but mostly with regard to the Duodenal Switch, which has more extreme malabsorption than the (proximal) bypass. According to folks I know online -- never met in person, tho' -- this is a total lie and not true at all. ::shrug:: Who knows? I do know several people who've had RNY and they don't smell at all. They say their poo stinks a little more than it did before, but then who among us can say ours doesn't?

Anyway, like you, I may have to resort to bypass -- due to fears of rejection for the same reasons you are and lack of follow up care in my community. I'm not pleased about it but both my time and options are running out.

Best of luck with your port problems, m'dear. If wishes could make your port problems disappear, you'd be one happy camper right now since we're all wishing you an uncomplicated recovery with lots of years of banding ahead of you.

Whew that was all news to me, although I never researched those types of surgeries.

I've started to worry about my band a bit, I mentioned in a thread the beginning of the week about a swollen gland. My PCP said it's probably nothing, but she measured it and she's giving it three weeks to see if it goes down. She also said it could be my body trying to fight off an infection. Needless to say, where's the infection.

Lisa you look so good and you've done so well despite all the adversities you've faced.

This severe anal odor only occurs in a small percentage. I read a post where a young man was forced to stay upstairs in his room alone on Thanksgiving because his odor was so repulsive that nobody could bare being around him. And I've heard that people wear carbon filters in their underpants. There's a very popular person around the boards that has the problem (most people think she has a band, but she's also had somewhat of a bypass.) I won't breach her privacy, but she said there's no odor that can compare. Apparently it makes regular pook-pooks smell like Heaven in comparision.

Lisa... My sister had the GBP and we hang out a lot... in the beginning I noted a few SBD's... but that passed... so to speak. Haven't noticed anything like that for a long time.

Guest glittergrl

DeLarla,what kind of signs do you have that your band is being rejected?

Dr. Rumbaut

banded

11/04/04

20lbs lost

People who have the bypass do not process the food they take in like we do.

Their stool is made up of food that are not fully digested thus the stool will have a stronger odor about it.

And since flatuance is simply air passing over the stoll the odor may be a bit stronger.

I have several friends who have had bypass and just standing near then they do not give off any more of an odor then anyone else in the room.

Yeah I think any time you have undigested foods -- or foods that are broken down through putrefaction, not through the proper means of being broken down by the good 'gut bugs' in our intestines which usually do the work -- you're going to have more stinky poops. (Can you tell I've been working in pediatrics for the last 9 months?)

But I'm unclear why anyone would have an odor emanating from them unless they're passing gas or not cleaning themselves well enough. I mean, I've cared for pt's with various kinds of ostomies, g-tubes, and the like. I never noticed any kind of smell (except when changing bags for them). Sometimes, though, certain chemical changes going on in the body can cause certain smells (like how ketosis causes really bad breath). I wonder if maybe there's something going on more systemically in that case that causes the smell?

Weirdness.

Here's hoping you can have your band in for a nice, long time.

HI Lisa

when i read anal odour i just new it had to be you ...lol..

i am a member of a british weight loss surgery site and they have loads of info from good people on there that have had gastric bypass surgery. heres the address it might be worth a look. You dont have to join you can go in as a guest.

www.wlsinfo.org.uk

as for carbon filters well i just cant stop laughing even though its mean

love tracey

Hi Lisa,

My brother and his daughter had the gastric bypass 1-1/2 years ago. I don't find any offensive odors when I'm around them.

I'm still praying that the doctors are wrong and you will get to keep your band.

I think you are doing the right thing by checking out all your options though.

As far as strong anal odors, I'm not talking about "most bypass patients." I'm talking about the small percentage that get this problem. I know of three. I asked one how the odor escapes the butt, since we are usually in control of letting go of our own gas. But she said "it's not like that, the odor just comes out." This isn't just the smell of a few bad farts, it's a constant putrid odor.

I asked my new doc about this horrible odor last weekend. I was too loopy from surgery/meds so I don't remember the complete explanation, but he did say that the severe odor problem comes from one particular type of bypass surgery (there are lots of different types.) He also said his receptionist can always tell these patients from their smell (and there's a wide counter inbetween the receptionist and where the patient stands, so it's gotta be pretty pungent.)

To answer questions regarding rejection, my current US surgeon says that I am not rejecting the band. There's no known written literature about rejecting plastic (tube) in the body. I was not rejecting the port. I just posted a whole new thread of my latest surgery that explains why my wound stayed open so long, which will give you better information.