Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to get started, but no idea how!!

I’m 25, morbidly obese, borderline diabetic, with high blood pressure. I want to get started on the right track to get approved by surgery, but I have NO idea where to start!! I’ve got chronic fatigue and have gotten to the point where walking distances is painful. I WANT to get better. :(

Start with calling your insurance company. They can tell you what their pre-op requirements are, and can tell you which surgeons are covered under your plan. Most surgeons offer free informational seminars which is a great place to start gathering all the info you need.

Start by removing the bad foods and temptation from your house because I'm sure most insurances require some kind of weight loss before surgery?

See if you can download the Medicaid requirements. My insurance company had a lot of very specific stipulations and requirements. I read those papers so many times, and it was good to have a hard copy. Don't try to lose right now - not before you know the plan's requirements. Some people have to actually gain a little to meet BMI requirements for surgery. Once you have information from the insurance, see how your PCP feels about working with WLS patients. Even if there is not a prolonged PCP supervision program required, you are going to need your PCP support and most likely letter of recommendation for the surgery. You can also start researching surgeons and then checking to see if they are approved by insurance. The insurance company can certainly give you names, but you may find others that may also be approved, but the insurance list is not up to date (not unusual). You want someone who not only does a good job and has been doing these procedures for years, but also a program that will follow you for years afterward. For example, my program has 2, 4, 6, 8-9, 9-12, 18 month followups, with yearly followups for 5 years. You will need that support and supervision.

Absolutely start going to free seminars that many programs offer. Even if not approved by your insurance, it will give you a lot of information and ideas of what will happen. It is a good place to start your education. Just remember that they are selling a product. Keep that in mind. Focus on facts and not the sales pitch.

You can also start watching YouTube programs. Dr. Matthew Weiner has a ton of good information - all the way from choosing the right surgery and how surgery works, to long term maintenance. Bear in mind, his post op diet will probably be different from your own surgeon's (MW starts soft veggies very early on, while mine made me wait 8 weeks). But he does have a LOT of good information that is sound and will give you a good foundation. You want to go into this armed with all the information and education you can get. It's very sad when someone has surgery and then says, "I didn't know about such and such" or "why didn't they tell me this or that." You have to take responsibility for your own education on this - no excuse for ignorance with all the good info out there.

So there are some ideas. It is a lifelong journey, not a sprint. It's great you are in a place where you are really ready to make the changes at such a young age - before you get all the degenerative breakdown and health issues that many of us have from decade upon decade of obesity. Keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by AZhiker

You are on the right path - My view is get the surgery as fast as you can and get all the things that go with it inline, Ready around here the surgery is a tool - The rest you need to be ready for!

Hello! I was in the same boat as you! I’m 22 and for the last couple of years I was doing my research on WLS. I had to get my gallbladder removed last year due to having some pain from the stones. My 2 week post op appointment the doctor who did it asked me if anyone has talked to me about WLS. And that’s how I got started, that very same day of DEC 5 2018. Now i am almost 3 months post op.

My advice would be call your insurance or even go to your primary care doctor and ask about WLS and ask for a referral to a Bariatric surgeon. Have a consultation appointment and they can actually let you know before continuing the process what your insurance covers and what they ask of your

I love that you are coming out on the threads of BariatricPal, @unicornqueen822! This is a great forum for gaining knowledge and support. I've learned so much from everyone here, it's a great supplement to the things I've been learning on my own via research and talking with my surgical team. For me, the best thing about the initial appointment with my provider was to find out what my insurance needed. And then I called to confirm that there wasn't anything else. Insurance is the toughest piece and takes the longest usually.

Feel free to dive right into the threads. We look forward to getting to know you and supporting you throughout your journey. Welcome! Welcome!