Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone I'm Arcana I recently just got finished with 6 months of nutrition classes I've seen my psych Dr I did blood work I did the EKG I did the swallow Barium test and so now I am just waiting on a approval because my first surgery request was denied so this is the second attempt I'm hoping I get approved this time I'm 31 years old I weigh 320 lbs and my BMI is 49 I desperately need the surgery but I'm also very nervous I don't have that much support from my family everyone thinks I shouldn't get it because I could die on the table but I told my family that I'm already dying lbs because I'm severely overweight and I'm not saying that weight loss surgery is my only option but I feel like this is the only option for me that's gonna work for sure I've been having second thoughts because of my family making me feel like I'm going to die if I have the surgery smh has anybody else felt that way before I just feel so upset because I don't have any support at all and I know for sure its what I want to do I have tried dieting and it never worked I never lost any more than 10 pounds in my Life I'm tired of feeling miserable and having low self-esteem about myself it's not fair to my daughter that I feel ashamed about going out to fun places where I know we both will be happy and enjoy ourselves the only thing we do is go to the movies get and go home I'm tired of living like this I have always been very self-conscious about my body and the way I look and I know I shouldn't be so self-conscious but I was never this heavy in my life i recently gained all my weight within the past 10 years I just want to become a better version of myself and feel more confident and most important get more healthier my family doesn't understand that I'm not as healthy as I should be

You hit the Nail on the head - You are killing yourself now- Plus It is not that risky a surgery.

You don't need support - ITS YOUR FREAKIN LIFE do what you want - You will not get a lot of support from Family and friends if you read this site its very common to be in that situation. I have seen posts like this for months now and the bottom line, Its your body, your life, and it seems to be messing with your head. So you have made the best decision of your life, what others think is irrelevant,

22 minutes ago, arcana88 said:

in my life i recently gained all my weight within the past 10 years I just want to become a better version of myself and feel more confident and most important get more healthier my family doesn't understand that I'm not as healthy as I should be

If you follow your own statement above nobody can stop you, You need support come here or find someone else who has done it and knows the struggle you will go thru. This was the best decision I ever made and I do feel way more healthy and as for confidence ...... off the scale, My kids said i cheated, i have full custody, My X who is large feels i did it to spite her, when in reality it was here lifestyle that was partially to blame, Carbs, sugar and stress. So like you i said F#$ck em all this is my life and my decision.

Never regretted my decision and I doubt i ever will, I miss things like drinking allot, pizza, Chicago food, but i had a 52 year good run, Now things have changed, and change is good

I agree with AJ, if you can't get the support you need at home, get it here. We are all here for you!

You are not going to die on the table. Your family is working with very outdated information. Yes - weight loss surgery was risky back in the 60s and 70s, but it's just not anymore. Surgical techniques are very different now and it's become a routine surgery. Mortality rate on the RNY is around .3% - and it's even lower for the sleeve. So in other words, there's at least a 99.7% chance that you're going to get through this just fine. Those are excellent odds - much better odds than for a hip or knee replacement surgery, which as you know are done every day.

If possible, maybe you could provide them with current information - e.g, the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies book - so they have a better understand of the risks (few - and mostly minor) and what all this entails.

and you're right - it's much more risky to remain morbidly obese than it is to have the surgery.

Lots of people struggle with support. Only my husband knows I'm getting prepared for WLS and even he's been poo-pooing it. I don't need anyone else's opinions trying to derail my only shot at healthy living. Though, like has been said previously, being morbidly obese with no end in sight to the weight gain is definitely committing suicide by food. When it was put to me that way, it really got my attention. This forum is full of wonderful people who have all kinds of experiences. Immerse yourself as much as you need; we're all here to help and support each other.

I found this great podcast from one of the threads called www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com. Take a look at episodes 57 and 60 that talk specifically about the surgery and how to prepare for it physically and emotionally. I'm trying to get hubby to listen to them.

Blessings