Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital Stay— Anxiety Disorder?

I’m Sleeve to Bypass Revision.

Anyone have severe anxiety disorder? I had a panic attack after my last surgery and it was a struggle to get my anxiety meds administered to me.... fast forward to now I have a fear of being hooked up to an IV and I’m worried about not being able to ask for my anxiety meds. Thx.

1 hour ago, PepperCat said:

I’m Sleeve to Bypass Revision.

Anyone have severe anxiety disorder? I had a panic attack after my last surgery and it was a struggle to get my anxiety meds administered to me.... fast forward to now I have a fear of being hooked up to an IV and I’m worried about not being able to ask for my anxiety meds. Thx.

I do not have severe anxiety however I have a medical condition that is not user friendly to general anesthesia, I asked at my pre-surgical visit if I could take a xanax the morning of my surgery before coming to the hospital and I was told yes. I also discussed with my surgeon to have xanax put down as one of my meds so that if I needed it while in the hospital I could have it. I also take Lexapro and had no problem getting either since it was on my chart. Discuss it with both your surgeon and your nurse at pre-surgical. Good luck, breathe deep, try meditation as well.

I can’t seem to reply. Lbtnew did you have a version of lexapro that was not extended release?

I would ask your dr/surgeon beforehand so you don’t need to worry about it. You are given plenty of pain meds so you should sleep well.

I have GAD and take a Xanax every night. I didn't want to go into withdrawal so they put Xanax right in my IV (I think, where ever the liquid meds go). I'd talk to your surgeon to see if you need to make additional plans.

8 hours ago, PepperCat said:

I can’t seem to reply. Lbtnew did you have a version of lexapro that was not extended release?

I take one 20mg before bed, so they gave me two 10mg pills in the hospital

2 hours ago, PepperCat said:

How do I reply to someone’s message LOL?

From my phone I would hit the box that says "quote" if you are responding specifically to 5hat given massage, type your response, then scroll down and hit the box labeled "submit reply" hope that helps

Talk to your surgeon and the anesthesiologist about it. I didn't mention my anxiety I thought I could do it. FF to sitting in the pre-op area and all the goings on. The anesthisologist came in and I told him, he gave me a small dose - I explained to him that I had had a liver biopsy done and they gave me what he just did and it didn't work at all. So, he added to the dose for me. If you have anxiety meds, make sure you can take them and be honest during the pre-op phase. My anesthesiologist even worked through my clausterphobia (no oxygen mask)