Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what are you unable to eat now?

Hi,

I have an appointment with the bariatric surgeon on 9/10. I hope this will lead to the surgery, hopefully this year!

I was wondering, are there any foods you ate before that you can no longer eat since your sleeve surgery? And if you can't eat certain things, why not?

Just curious :)

Thanks,

Maureen

4 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I can't eat steak or bread.

I don't want to pry, but can you tell me why you can't eat those? Does it just come with the surgery? If you don't want to discuss it, no worries, I'm just trying to prepare for what may come.

I tried some Halo Top ice cream and it caused me to vomit and have dumping syndrome. Horrible 😩

8 minutes ago, justmetj said:

I tried some Halo Top ice cream and it caused me to vomit and have dumping syndrome. Horrible 😩

Really....I think I could live without ice cream, I love it but haven't had any for over a year due to diabetes. In fact, I think I could give up alot of things, I'm tired of my life revolving around what I'm going to eat next.

I haven't found anything that I can't tolerate (which is good and bad....) There are some things that I don't care much for anymore (got out of the habit, tastes change, etc.) Pot roast doesn't settle or satisfy as well as good steak, but it still works (have one cooking now...) bread is fine - make a couple small sandwiches for road trip days, but otherwise don't have much. Fruits and veg are all fine (except for the ones that I never liked); lettuce works fine for salads (some have problems with that for some reason) though I usually use spinach owing to its somewhat better nutritional values. It is not uncommon to acquire lactose intolerance, though I haven't.

No sugar for me. Besides making my joints hurt, I do not want to risk dumping syndrome. No alcohol, soda, or coffee, either. I have Barret's esophagitis and do not want to risk any further damage to tissues. I have also seen the incredible damage alcohol can do to the anastamosis after WLS (I am a GI nurse.)

After WLS, every bite needs to be as nutritious as possible. We can't hold much volume, and there can be decreased nutritional absorption from what we do eat. We have to eat the healthiest diet possible, with very little room for junk. All my 6 month labs came back really good for the Vitamins, Protein, and Iron, complete blood count, and chemistry, so I know I am doing it right. I do not eat processed foods or anything artificial. No soda or artificial sweeteners. The liver works very hard during rapid weight loss. It doesn't need any more work from processing junk. Refined grains and carbs jack up the insulin levels which result in fat storage, so that is why WLS eating plans are low carb. My carbs come from fruits and vegetables/legumes - very little from grains.

So in a nutshell, yes, there are foods you will give up - many for life because they simply are not good for you and will not help with your weight loss and maintenance. BUT..... you will discover so many healthy alternatives that after a while, the crap food doesn't even taste good anymore. My daughter made a gluten free cake today to test out a recipe for a wedding cake. I made a rare exception and had a tiny piece to help her assess texture and taste. It was a good cake, but so nauseatingly sweet I(I have not eaten sugar for 8 months) that I couldn't have taken a second bite if I wanted to. It has no appeal whatsoever. A few frozen grapes is about all the sweetness I can take. Your tastes change as you change your lifestyle. You can't look at these "forbidden" foods as deprivation. You have to reframe your thinking to see them as harmful and to look forward to the amazing payoff of eating healthy choices. Feeling so much energy, wearing small sized clothes, able to exercise without pain or getting winded, walking into a room and being one of the SMALLEST people there instead of the biggest, .... the list goes on and on. Any dietary "sacrifices" need to exchanged for a wonderful new life that awaits. Again.....you have to look at the benefits you GAIN - not the stuff you give up.

Well said...and you are right about the benefits to gain. For me one of those will be being able to stand more than a few minutes without my body hurting. That will be worth giving up bread or anything else!

I can't tolerate bread and anything with fat in it. I ate two bites of a grilled chicken wing the other day and went straight to the bathroom to vomit. I felt like hell for hours.

Bread makes me extremely uncomfortable for about 30-45 minutes after eating it but eventually goes away.

I had halo top ice cream and had no problems with it at all.

I guess it just depends on each person.

Good luck!! ❤️

7 hours ago, mlmx1138 said:

Hi,
I have an appointment with the bariatric surgeon on 9/10. I hope this will lead to the surgery, hopefully this year!
I was wondering, are there any foods you ate before that you can no longer eat since your sleeve surgery? And if you can't eat certain things, why not?
Just curious
Thanks,
Maureen

I gave up some foods on my bariatric dieticians weight loss food plan (sugar, breads rice Pasta, processed food, carbonation) Maintenance phase no foods are forbidden. I can indulge within reason. I still eat mainly healthy.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, mlmx1138 said:

Well said...and you are right about the benefits to gain. For me one of those will be being able to stand more than a few minutes without my body hurting. That will be worth giving up bread or anything else!

My arthritis had gotten so bad from decades of carrying around extra weight. I had one knee replacement about 5 years ago and the other knee was due soon, as it hurt so bad all the time. Doc told me the cartilage was nearly gone. I also had continual lower back pain. But now, after losing over 100 pounds, I HAVE NO JOINT PAIN!!!! NONE!!!!. I have not used an NSAID for 7 months (ever since surgery) and not even a Tylenol. My back pain is GONE and my knees are fine! I can do anything now - including training for a triathelon in October! I am working in a new department where I am on my feet all day long and it is fine! I do 20+ flights of stairs a day, walk at least 10,000 steps, and am starting to bike. Joints are great!

You are going to feel soooooo much better! There is no way I would go back to the old way of eating and lose this new life and new body. (It looks kind of funny, to be sure, but it sure does work a lot better than the old one!) No brainer about the trade off: junk food for a triathelon. No contest. :)

I can eat pretty much anything in very small quantities, but I can't eat a lot of sugar or fat at one sitting.

I had the sleeve done may 31st. Everyone has different things that work or dont work for them. Some people have alot of foods that upset there tummy and some people have none. My body hates raw tomatoes its the worst burning acid in my throat. I feel as my throats on fire! I also cant eat bread toasted or soft it hurts my tummy. Ive had alot of acid reflux and need to take prilosec or other over the counter acid reducers everyday. Slider foods go down so easy like popcorn and crackers i have to make sure to portion it out or i keep going not realizing how much i ate. Also when i make chicken my tummy is mad but i eat chicken from anywhere its fine. I think i make it to dry and my tummy wants moisture or to eat soft texture with it like mashed potatoes or sauce. Anyways hope this helps.