Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I must be stupid

I was banded Aug. 15. I am on my 3rd fill. I have 1.9 cc in a 4 cc band. I am still throwing up solids. They said I need to have a berium swallow and stay on liquids for a week. :faint:Thus far I have lost 34 lbs. I exercise 6 times a week. I hope and prey I did not slip.

JP

Hey sweetpea...it's different for everyone. My doc has a patient that has lost something like 70 lbs without a fill. There are some that have had great success with only one or two fills. It just depends on your body and I think a lot of it also has to do with your habits. Sounds like you are doing well. I wouldn't risk that either. I know it seems like it sucks because you feel "cheated" for lack of a better word but I'm sure at some point, it will happen for you. Keep up the good work though.

Back on topic...you are just like the rest of us. I haven't learned either. I keep hoping that one day I can eat a decent breaded sandwich but I'm slowly leaving that idea. Switched to wraps instead. Also I've gotten to where it just plain hurts to keep doing that to myself...but that's a slow lesson too. LOL.

My dr. told me NO MORE shakes after surgery also. He said that shakes won't hold you as good as solid foods. But as of today, I've decided to drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast because I have been doing without breakfast in the mornings and by lunchtime I'm starving. I 'm sick of eggs. And I think the Protein shake might keep me satisfied til lunch. I know some of you might think that i need to follow the dr. orders,but I had my surgery 9/5 and barely lost 10lbs waiting on the dr. to fill me enough.(that's another story). So, I don't think a protein shake would hurt! Right?

Push the limits? You and me both.

For dinner tonight I had ravioli, Olive Garden salad/breadsticks and V8 fusion juice.

I slimed after the 4th bite. Expelled it and went for round 2. Then expelled that and went for a 3rd round. Just got rid of that one.

Frankly, I'm still addicted to food. I've gotten rid of so much junk out of my diet and am doing better each month. Now, I have just a few demons left.... overeating being one of them.

SweetPea51,

Every doctor is different. Your doctor's explantaion makes perfect sense to me. Because you are losing the 1-2lbs a week (which is what we are supposed to be losing), if he gave you a fill you would obviously lose more. Remember the band only hold a certain amount of cc's of liquid. If he filled the band while you were losing on your own, what would happen when your band reached its limit of fills and you stopped losing the 1-2lbs a week down the road. YOU would have to work on losing the weight solely without the help of fills. He would not be a ble to fill the band with more Fluid. While you are losing on your own, it sounds like he wants to wait until you actually need the help of a fill before he gives you one.

FYI- there is a small percentage of people that NEVER need a fill. They just lose weight with the band sitting in place.

I just had my third fill yesterday, and I tried to eat bread. OMG I got stuck and had to throw up. Seems like I would catch on, I tried to eat bread Monday and threw up 2 times. Yesterday all I could eat was soft foods. Why do I push the limits??? Now I have a sore spot in my stomach and feel kind of yucky:sick. I wanted to eat dressing tomorrow, but don't think I will. Why are we not supposed to eat solids 2 days after a fill?

JP

Every time I get a fill, I have to re-learn what I can tolerate.

Hi Wendell,

It was so foreign for me to not be able to eat. The first two fills gave me so little restriction. I now realize I have a band and it is working. I kept solids down for the first time in a week today, and I did not push the limits. The frist sign of feeling full I pushed the plate back. My Dr. wants me to have a barium swallow tomorrow to be safe. Thanks again to everyone for all of the support you have given me.

JP

Hi Wendell,

It was so foreign for me to not be able to eat. The first two fills gave me so little restriction. I now realize I have a band and it is working. I kept solids down for the first time in a week today, and I did not push the limits. The frist sign of feeling full I pushed the plate back. My Dr. wants me to have a barium swallow tomorrow to be safe. Thanks again to everyone for all of the support you have given me.

JP

:)

I remember the shock that I felt the first time I realized that every time I got a fill I was going to have to start over again and re-learn my eating limitations.

Every fill results in a smaller stoma diameter, and what USED to be a food that wouldn't cause a problem SUDDENLY WAS! :faint:

REDGIRL, my doctor told me to concentrate on three meals a day with no snacking in between. if I needed a snack, it had to be a planned snack, and that If i needed help dealing with the hunger, drink a Protein Drink. All doctors are different, it would seem. My struggle is to tryto get in the 90 rams of Protein a day that they say is necessary.

Hi everyone. I had my barium swallow Wednesday and my band has not slipped :clap2:. Yesterday for the first time in 8 days I was able to keep down solids. I never want to eat bread again!

JP

He wants me to eat food rather than drink because it keeps you full longer. I really didn't question him because it seemed to sorta make sense.

I was banded August 10, 2007. Friday, November 30 was my first fill. I have a total of 1cc in my band. My weight is coming off extremely slow. Today I can have mushy foods. My doctor also said he would rather have me eat healthy Protein than to drink it, for the same reason you said. It made sense to me too.

Cyndi :P

Hi All,

I'm a pre Op newbie, so bear with me here...This Protein drink stuff, is this forever then? While we are on the subject, what exactly constitutes a Protein Drink? I HATE milk, but if it's a very good tasting Protein Drink, I might be able to tolerate it. What are you all using, (and how) for your Protein drinks??

thanks,

SorrowsChild (I have a signature, but have not figured out how to use it) :party:

Hi All,

I'm a pre Op newbie, so bear with me here...This Protein drink stuff, is this forever then? While we are on the subject, what exactly constitutes a Protein Drink? I HATE milk, but if it's a very good tasting Protein Drink, I might be able to tolerate it. What are you all using, (and how) for your protein drinks??

thanks,

SorrowsChild (I have a signature, but have not figured out how to use it) :party:

I use Water for protien drinks and frozen bluberrys. I got a hudge bag of protien powder ( purple and silver bag) at costco called EAS. my nutritionalist told me about it and also to look for soy and/or whey protien because they absorb in the body properly. and others WILL NOT. she said slim fast and boost have too many calories with not enough grams of protien for the 1 cup your consuming. I had already bought a bunch so I now use it and add 27 more grams of the powder to it. It doesnt smell that great. I bought a blender called a magic bullet and I put a hand full of frozen blue berrys and or a ripe bannana. (hard ones make it bitter). there are many choices out there. bottom line you will only need to continue protien drinks when you are unable to eat about 50 grams of protien depending on you age. I think this is important because it makes you feel better and one time 10 years ago I lost 100 lbs and 1/2 my hair. this was because i wasnt getting enough protien.(both things came back), I have not had that problem this time thank god! there is a thread on this site that gives you tons of recepies for protien drinks.

Are you having trouble doing the ticker or the signature on this web site? Theres a thread here also on setting up that, just go to the bottom if any page and use the drop down on threads. I was really confused about the protien suggestions. It's good to figure out what you like before the surgery and buy it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!