Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Day 4 Struggling with shakes.

Struggling with shakes. My surgery center requires the new directions brand of shakes. Plus that you’re only allowed Water, broth, and decaffeinated tea. I am struggling with the shakes which I have struggled with the entire time with the program for the six months. I just cannot get over the taste. They are horrible to me. And it doesn’t matter which Friday I have tried they are all just bad. She said to get in three a day. I am struggling to get one in a day. My surgery center requires the new directions brand of shakes. Plus that you’re only allowed to water, broth, and decaffeinated tea. I am struggling with the shakes which I have struggled with the entire time with the program for the six months. I just cannot get over the taste. They are horrible to me. And it doesn’t matter which variety I have tried they are all just bad. She said to get in three a day. I am struggling to get one and a day. I am getting in water and some Broth. But I am always always hungry. Any suggestions on how to make the shakes taste better?

I'm guessing your center sells these things. Mine doesn't sell shakes, so they let us use any brand of whey Protein isolate shakes.

Call them and tell them your struggles. They aren't out any money. LOL. YOu already bought them. But ask for a 2nd options. I used a lot of Isopure Protein Powder. You have to blend them (in my opinion), and I love to use decaff coffee as the base and add ice to them.

Make sure your broth is as low carb as possible and hopefully doesn't have sugar in any form within the first 5 ingredients. I loved using the HerbOx Sodium Free packets that you buy in a box. Both the beef and chicken are really tasty. I also used sugar free Jello cupz (not the pudding) and sugar free popsicles. I would have 1 each of those a day and I drank a crapton of Water too. Black decaff coffee and black (uncreamed) green tea (decaff) are wonderful too. And I stayed busy. So busy! :) Walk! Don't sit and watch tv or tv commercials.

This is the hardest part of the journey hon.

How will they know if you buy and use another brand? When they want you to buy more, tell them you haven't gotten through the last batch yet.

Buying and using another brand is better than not getting your Protein at all, IMHO.

Sounds like they're trying to make money on their own sales of shakes. Try a different brand. I use GNC Leak Shakes pre-made chocolate.

Alasyx, I was told in my bariatric seminar that you can use the products from Wal-Mart that are bariatric specific and it cost less than buying from them. Just make sure they are on you lust of choices of bariatric shakes, ect.

Ok, I'd post a picture of this, but it's boring. LOL. I LOVE this cup of Protein latte!!! LOVE it--am I YELLING? Cuz it feels like I am! ;)

So it's super simple:

1 cup of decaff (make sure it's DECAFF!!)

2oz Protein Drink (made up into a shake)--any flavor but this one is chocolate RTD Premier Protein, but there are other RTD whey isolate drinks out there--just look at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe or Walmart/Costco/Sam's, etc.

Ground Cinnamon

Liquid Chocolate Flavored Stevia (to taste--optional)

Sprinkle cinnamon into cup. Pour in your 2 ounces of shake. Top with hot coffee. Add a few drops of liquid stevia (if desired) and enjoy!

You can drink on these all morning to get your protein in! And it keeps you from gnawing your arm off to escape the hunger trap!

image.png.5fc0c27cb6ddbafa17b09168b6b423e0.png

Thanks everyone. This has been some great advice. I know what they say but I wondered if there was a way around some of it. Because I’m telling you these powders are just yuck. I’m going to definitely try out some of the suggestions. Also, I’ve seen a lot of threats where a sugar-free popsicle here and there was OK? I asked my nutritionist and she specifically said again no. Something about not spiking your insulin. But I’m wondering if just one or two occasionally like on once a week would be OK?

21 minutes ago, Alasyx said:

Also, I’ve seen a lot of threats where a sugar-free popsicle here and there was OK? I asked my nutritionist and she specifically said again no. Something about not spiking your insulin. But I’m wondering if just one or two occasionally like on once a week would be OK?

that's weird. I was allowed to eat as many sugar free popsicles as I wanted. They're sugar free, after all - and like 25 calories. Also, I was allowed to count them toward my Fluid intake.

33 minutes ago, Alasyx said:

Thanks everyone. This has been some great advice. I know what they say but I wondered if there was a way around some of it. Because I’m telling you these powders are just yuck. I’m going to definitely try out some of the suggestions. Also, I’ve seen a lot of threats where a sugar-free popsicle here and there was OK? I asked my nutritionist and she specifically said again no. Something about not spiking your insulin. But I’m wondering if just one or two occasionally like on once a week would be OK?

Well, she has a point. She is purist. The sugar free sweeteners do often have a silent cephalic insulin response. :( So that's a no for the sf pops and sf Jello. But using her reasoning, the whey Protein isolate you are drinking in 3-4 shakes a day will spike your insulin WAAAAAAAYYYYYY more than the SF pops or jello.

I'd follow their advice and see if you can disguise the taste of the shakes enough...

On 8/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, Alasyx said:

I follow alot of the vloggers on YouTube and IG and the most common product between all of them are the Premier Protein shakes. Most seem to swear by them.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, Alasyx said:

Struggling with shakes. My surgery center requires the new directions brand of shakes. Plus that you’re only allowed Water, broth, and decaffeinated tea. I am struggling with the shakes which I have struggled with the entire time with the program for the six months. I just cannot get over the taste. They are horrible to me. And it doesn’t matter which Friday I have tried they are all just bad. She said to get in three a day. I am struggling to get one in a day. My surgery center requires the new directions brand of shakes. Plus that you’re only allowed to Water, broth, and decaffeinated tea. I am struggling with the shakes which I have struggled with the entire time with the program for the six months. I just cannot get over the taste. They are horrible to me. And it doesn’t matter which variety I have tried they are all just bad. She said to get in three a day. I am struggling to get one and a day. I am getting in water and some Broth. But I am always always hungry. Any suggestions on how to make the shakes taste better?

Six months of shakes? My surgery center also required New Direction but only for the 2 week liver shrinking diet. I agree they are awful, kind of like half pudding consistency. I diluted them in a blender with Decaf coffee to help. By the second week I switched myself to Premier Protein and didn’t tell them. I already bought and paid for the New Direction from them. I figure they had an agreement with that company.

I’m usually a rule follower but the brand of shakes seemed motivated by something other than my health.

It's just the 2 weeks, was required to buy one box a week during 6 month diet which honestly I didn't do well with. The New Direction bars not so bad and chili was okay. The shakes though are horrid. I managed to choke down most of one of the lemon puddings with Fiber today then chase it with broth due to aftertaste. I think tomorrow I am going to try hunt down the Premier Protein locally because I feel like I am starving. I am making sure to get my Water and liquids to not dehydrate but this is day 5 and hoping we get surgery date 8/26/19. My surgeon changed hospitals at the end of the 6 month diet so had to wait almost 2 months longer. Plus, still waiting on BC/BS with final approval which should happen by tomorrow since file was marked urgent. Then doctor order his instruments and not sure if they are in. So very stressful this journey. Thanks for all the advise!

On 08/15/2019 at 17:54, catwoman7 said:

that's weird. I was allowed to eat as many sugar free popsicles as I wanted. They're sugar free, after all - and like 25 calories. Also, I was allowed to count them toward my Fluid intake.

I’m allowed the sugar free ice pops too!