Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've got the 6 month post op blues

I had RNY on January of this year so just past 6 months.

You know how you are super motivated after surgery and you track everything, you eat lots of good healthy foods, you make sure to get in your Protein and Water?

I'm feeling way too loosy-goosy about my diet, my supplements, everything. I can't say I've blown it and need to get back on track, more of I'm on the train but it's chugging along way too slowly and the captain is taking too many breaks. I dont get sick on ANYTHING so my diet is very normal.

The only permanent change I've made is not going back to sugar. (no sugar and no sugar free treats). I am eating too many carbs (bread, crackers etc) because it's easy. I do eat healthy too, I eat veggies etc. but diet could be cleaner.

I am still losing but I know I could be losing so much more. I am still going to the gym at least 4 days a week but I probably need to add in classes and more fitness throughout the day.

Its so hard when you feel so normal. I have restriction but not like I used to. I am feeling like lately it's all me. Every day I tell myself to get back to basics and start doing more. Try harder! But I just seem to slide into comfortable patterns and take the path of least resistance. I think part of me still has that fat brain where I tried to lose weight so many times and failed. I think part of me doesnt feel like this is real or will ever happen (reach my goal weight). Its too soon in this journey to give up or self sabotage!

Im just wondering who else is feeling like motivation is in short supply....

Yeah. Sorry you are going through this. But you are right on time. Welcome to the club. IT happens to most of us about 6 months out. And it IS up to us how serious we treat this life changing surgery. IF you are not one of the "lucky ones" with super tight restriction, you have to really have a talk with yourself and decide how worth it is to you to continue to do the work.

What got my head back in the game was mixing things up and setting new goals, new wonky eating patterns etc. And I had to keep reminding myself that healthy food is where it's at from now on--not in snacky slider land. Start eating that dense Protein again!!! MAKE it hard. Food SHOULD feel hard to eat right now. You still want negative feedback. Don't go for easy. Stop the slider crap. Stop the snack habit. Just do it hon. You are worth it. You've come too far to stop now. Reach for the sky. Reach for your goals.

Throughout my life I have learned that motivation cannot be trusted for long term practices. I really needed a routine thats sustainable to carry me through when motivation is exhausted.

If you decide breads, crackers, etc are going to be apart of your diet and life is too hard without it then perhaps adjust your goals to reflect that. There were things I was never going to give up, not in the losing phase or ever and things I gladly gave up.

Good Luck 💜

2 hours ago, jasmineinmymind said:

You know how you are super motivated after surgery and you track everything, you eat lots of good healthy foods, you make sure to get in your Protein and Water?

Absolutely, also that was a loooooooooooong time ago.

I'm feeling way too loosy-goosy about my diet, my supplements, everything.

I know about being not-sooooooo-good about the supplements and have to remind myself that they're necessary.

I can't say I've blown it and need to get back on track, more of I'm on the train but it's chugging along way too slowly and the captain is taking too many breaks. I dont get sick on ANYTHING so my diet is very normal.

That's the speed with which your train will run on comfortably. The engine is running at a speed it can handle in the long run and its captain is not a machine that doesn't get tired or worn out, it's a human being. And what's so wrong about a normal diet? What's a normal diet anyway nowadays?

I am still losing but I know I could be losing so much more.

I'm earning money, but I could be earning so much more if I would work more 24 h shifts on weekends.

I am still going to the gym at least 4 days a week but I probably need to add in classes and more fitness throughout the day.

Do you want to do that? Like... really want to do that?

Every day I tell myself to get back to basics and start doing more. Try harder! But I just seem to slide into comfortable patterns and take the path of least resistance. I think part of me still has that fat brain where I tried to lose weight so many times and failed.

This is not "fat brain" (whatever that's supposed to be), that's "human brain". The human brain doesn't want to "try harder". It hates "trying harder". It wants to take the part of least resistance, that's human.

Its too soon in this journey to give up or self sabotage!

You wrote that you're still losing weight. Where exactly is the sabotage?

Fighting the same battle here at 8 months. Logging in what I eat each day. Was on track but ate a few Cookies this past weekend. Not the end of the world, but I don't want to start that bad habit back again. Otherwise, happy with my health changes and situation, just wish the scale would go down. Going to monitor my habits to see where I can improve.

I also had my op in Jan.

I don’t think I have ever felt restriction but I do feel satisfied on small portions.

I think I’m a bit different to everyone else as I have never logged all my food, it’s way too much effort. I have on occasion written things down in a book , usually if I have a dietician appointment coming up, so I can see what I’m doing right and wrong.

I eat carbs, but not in huge quantities. I don’t feel the need to cut them out of my diet completely. Most of the time they are healthy carbs but occasionally they aren’t.

I keep telling myself that I must be doing something wrong, that I should eat cleaner, track more or whatever , then I stand on the scales and realise that I am actually doing things right already.

Feeling normal is good, wasn’t that one of the goals when we put ourselves through this?

5 hours ago, summerset said:

You wrote that you're still losing weight. Where exactly is the sabotage?

I meant that I'm not sabotaging yet but I feel that my mindset could potentially sabotage me if I'm not careful. I want to make sure that I'm not doing the same things that got me to need the surgery. I currently am not, I mean I am way better than I was but I worry that as time goes on I could become too lax. Right now I'm OK..just need to make sure I dont slip!

4 hours ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I meant that I'm not sabotaging yet but I feel that my mindset could potentially sabotage me if I'm not careful. I want to make sure that I'm not doing the same things that got me to need the surgery.

I think this is a good mindset to have. However, I personally think there ist also a really awful trap hiding behind that corner and we fell into it again and again before surgery. When browsing the board you'll notice quite a few posts from people who fell into the trap again and hopped on the dieting-merry-go-round again.

A lot of people seem to think "before surgery" they simply weren't

- vigilant enough

- motivated enough

- disciplined enough

- trying hard enough

- hard enough on themselves,

damning their "old selves" into deepest hell, despising who they think they were "back then".

However, I personally think we were all of these things I mentioned. Vigilant enough, motivated enough, disciplined enough, trying hard enough, hard enough on ourselves - until we burnt out and had out rebound binge time.

Unfortunately surgery doesn't protect us from this burnout. That awful trap is still lurking behind the next corner. Don't fall into it again and don't hop on the dieting-merry-go-round again.

I think you need to do a reset mentally and physically with your pouch..

Reset your goals. Reset your intake. Make some changes if you're ready before too late