Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I'm having the sleeve done, but started noticing a bit more heart burn and reflux recently so was getting worried when reading about the preference for bypass ... so firstly @GradyCat that's so encouraging, and wonderful, for you to hear the sleeve has actually improved yours. @MissLadyK what do they say when you ask them why the sleeve is better given the issues you mentioned and getting another surgeons opinion as others have suggested might be a good idea given your concerns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are the patient, it is your decision! If this surgeon can't provide the service you need and want it's time for another doctor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to hear this doctor's explanation as to why a sleeve is a good idea for someone with a GERD history. Pushing for a procedure contraindicated by a co-morbidity makes me suspicious about whether your best interests are being considered. It's sad that some doctors exploit patients to match their medical shortcomings. Run don't walk to another surgeon. What are your current doctor's qualifications exactly? Make sure you make an appointment with an experienced bariatric surgeon.

(I'd make a recording of his/her explanation to play for the second doctor!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told to go with the Gastric Bypass because of my GERD from my doctor. Once I told him I had really bad Reflux he would not consider the Sleeve because it would make it worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My doc prefers the sleeve, he only does bypass is medically necessary I have/had history of gerd at the time, said if needed we can convert to bypass later, 17 months later I was bypass. But my gerd did improve at first with the sleeve, it wasn't until about 10-11 months that it go worse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mj77803 said:

My doc prefers the sleeve, he only does bypass is medically necessary I have/had history of gerd at the time, said if needed we can convert to bypass later, 17 months later I was bypass. But my gerd did improve at first with the sleeve, it wasn't until about 10-11 months that it go worse

So in the short space of 17 months your Dr was proved wrong. He however can look at this as a win as it means he got the fee for 2 surgeries whereas had he done a proper risk assessment you would only have needed 1!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Barrett's there IS no other option for you but RNY. If he disagrees, run as far and fast from the di*k as you can! ((hugs)) He sees you as lambchops (with 2 surgeries) in front of him when he looks at you--not a patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had GERD before and still have it after , have added Pepcid into my regime , but I was quite happy to get the sleeve because there are so many less effects to your digestion so that my post op life can be Fairly normal . And this was the case . Am down 70lbs and feel great . I say sleeve is best but it is ur body and ur choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lolo 2020 said:

I had GERD before and still have it after , have added Pepcid into my regime , but I was quite happy to get the sleeve because there are so many less effects to your digestion so that my post op life can be Fairly normal . And this was the case . Am down 70lbs and feel great . I say sleeve is best but it is ur body and ur choice

In what way do you believe that your post op life is fairly normal as compared to someone that has had a bypass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that with bypass I would have had to be careful with exactly what I ate and sugar, fats, etc. I didn’t want dumping etc . I lost my weight quickly , I can eat at meetings and through work - can cheat a little and no issues with digestion or diarrhea. I feel great and weight is steady at my goal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the sleeve in 2017 /Converted to bypass 2019

I really don't see a difference yet between the two (except all the issues are resolved & when labs are done in a few weeks I'll compare) but as far as lifestyle... Same so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, elcee said:

So in the short space of 17 months your Dr was proved wrong. He however can look at this as a win as it means he got the fee for 2 surgeries whereas had he done a proper risk assessment you would only have needed 1!

Seems that way right, but who knows the true motivation for preference of VSG by surgeons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Lolo 2020 said:

My understanding is that with bypass I would have had to be careful with exactly what I ate and sugar, fats, etc. I didn’t want dumping etc . I lost my weight quickly , I can eat at meetings and through work - can cheat a little and no issues with digestion or diarrhea. I feel great and weight is steady at my goal

only about 30% of us dump - so although it can be a problem for some, it's by no means universal. And for those who dump, they can control it by watching their sugar and fat intake (there are times I wish I DID dump so I'd be forced to watch those!!). I can eat at meetings and work - and diarrhea is not a common problem among RNYers. Constipation is way more of a problem for us than diarrhea.

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • *Meaghan*

      I met with my surgeon on Friday.. I've completed all my tests and all my nutrition meetings as well as meeting the weight loss requirements for my insurance. We are officially submitting to insurance for approval and I was given a surgery date of January 16th 2020 (13 days before my birthday!) Fingers crossed all goes through 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Ok, now im getting old...my body gets me up at my normal 5am dog walk even when it's the weekend, vacation, and most importantly when I'm sick. So now that I have more energy, my body wants to make sure I suffer even longer during the day when I have a cold! Damn being healthy again! (:D)
      · 1 reply
      1. UphoseDep

        http://dev.x3dt.info/forum/profile.php?id=18137 ai us palm

    • GreenTealael

      At my Primary Physician appt, the Doc said you know you lost a whole person. When you started seeing me you were 265lbs now you're 148lbs.
      She's right... I lost the fun me 😂 Joking Joking Joking. It's amazing who keeps track when you don't like insurance and browsers feeds
      · 2 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        I think you're fun! You must have been a firecracker before!

      2. GreenTealael

        I don't even drink anymore 😂

    • Krestel

      First head cold since the surgery....at least I know that my body is back to "normal". /sigh
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Dietitian scheduled 11/18
      Mental Evaluation scheduled 11/18
      OMG we moving forward
      All things working toward my Dec 9th surgery date!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×