Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of the Medical Assistants at my surgeons office informed me that seafood is easier to digest than regular meats. So, I’m in the purée phase my husband bought me a crab cake. Let me tell you I was able to eat half of it! It was soo good, I will admit I probably should have only eaten a quarter because I was really full but I didn’t get heartburn or nadeau. I tried a piece of tilapia and what a horrible experience, it felt like it was stuck in my chest! This is when someone informed me that Tilapia is not real fish, so I guess I have to stick with “pure’ seafood. Has anyone else had success with seafood this early (only 3 weeks since gastric sleeve)?

I tried it about a month out. It was my first real meat and I did fine, just couldnt eat much. Probably 3 shrimp, but like you, it was divine!

Good luck!

I am in the puree stage, and have pureed lobster, scallops, fresh tuna, and clams. They tasted great, and I had no problem eating them. I, too, am reluctant to attempt other meats right now.

So far, I have been ok with very small amounts of shrimp and tilapia both.

Just soooo glad to do anything other than Protein shakes...

Can't help with the pureed fish. I don't think I tried any kinds of pureed meats during my pureed stage out of sheer stubbornness.

But, once I was able to eat regular food, shrimp became my new favorite Protein. It was in bite-sizes and it went down without any grumbling from the sleeve.

Crab cakes are a go to for me even though they do have some filler, even the high quality ones....but I refuse to make my own. I can eat about half of one comfortably or 2-3 ounces. Shrimp is okay if I cut it really small but I still cannot eat more than 3 shrimp max....and any white fish is pretty good. Other meats are still hit or miss with me and I will be 5 mos post-op soon.

Tilapia is my fish of choice for fish tacos. I don't understand the "its not a real fish" comment. Salmon is a favorite too and I like the different flavors tuna that Starkist has now.

Many people claim that tilapia is some sort of man made mutant fish- just google.....

1 minute ago, KCgirl061 said:

Tilapia is my fish of choice for fish tacos. I don't understand the "its not a real fish" comment. Salmon is a favorite too and I like the different flavors tuna that Starkist has now.

Ohhh! Love all of those!! I also love Pangasius!

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Ohhh! Love all of those!! I also love Pangasius!

What is Pangasius??

Google says Souteastern Asia shark- catfish, also known as iridescent shark . Maybe someone can tell us what they taste like. I'm still trying to get up courage to try lobster or its more genetic make-up Monkfish. I have had either since surgery, but I had both before.

11 minutes ago, KCgirl061 said:

What is Pangasius??

They taste like white fleshed mild fish. Not as rubbery like a catfish. More like tilapia texture but not as fishy (IMHO). I love them. :) They are also cheap and I still have to do cheap.

I used to be able to tolerate fish at first but now I can't anymore, unless it is super moist salmon. But shrimp and scallops are awesome. About 4 or 5 shrimp is all I can manage.