Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m a little past my 3 month mark for vsg surgery and my hair just started falling out!!!! Has this happened to anyone else and could anyone give me some tips!?! I knew I was going to have some Hair loss but never expected this!

Yes, it did with me as well. I started taking Biotin, upped my Protein intake as well. I also used Nioxin to help with the loss. It is starting to get better. I am also a believer in essential oils like lavender and ylang ylang that will aid in Hair growth.

I used an oral Biotin spray for 6 months. I lost a bit of hair around the 5/6 month mark, but not too much. I don't know if this was down to the Biotin or genetics - having read other peoples' posts, I think it's a bit of a lottery.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you - anxiety won't keep your hair in (but it might make it drop out!).

I am taking Biotin gummies for hair and nails and also using both Nioxin shampoo/conditioner and Minoxidil for hair regrowth.

I didn't lose any. I had to stop Biotin because it was making hair grow where it didn't belong. I attribute it to eating a lot of Protein and not dropping my calories as low as a lot of people, but it could just be luck.

Would any of you suggest starting to take Biotin right after surgery to possibly help with Hair loss?

Mine fell out like crazy. Had my thyroid checked, wasn’t that. Was recommended to take Biotin dissolvable pills(OTC) . I know that it helped eventually, but I had mid-back length hair and I had to cut it and keep it short for almost 2 years. It made my hair healthy again and I started to have lots of hair regrowth after cutting it. My hair is know back to the thickness it was before surgery. Bi also have a lot of Hair loss anytime I have anesthesia and it usually lasts for 6 months.then starts coming back.

Around my 4 month mark my hair starting falling out...alot! I started using the Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner and it helped make my hair healthier and stronger. My hair has started to grow back, I have lots of little hairs popping up now. I had this happen one other time when I had ankle surgery, the doctor said it was my body's response to the anesthesia. Everyone is different but it should be just temporary, hang in there.

Up your Protein intake.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:24 AM, Heretoloseit2018 said:

Around my 4 month mark my hair starting falling out...alot!

Me too!! By 6-7 months I probably lost about 1/3 of my hair and had 3 fairly bald spots!! I had thick hair and it was at about the middle of my back so I was quite upset when it got so thin and shorter (just below my shoulders now).

I'm now at 10 months post op and my hair is getting thicker (the bald spots have mostly filled in) but it hasn't grown longer. I'm hoping that eventually it will become normal again, but who knows.