Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

poll on left shoulder pain

Do you have pain on/around your left shoulder and  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have pain on/around your left shoulder and

• only have pain after eating/when full?
    • have pain on and off, no real reason?
    • had pain for awhile but now it's gone?
    • in contant pain?
    • Port on right side?
    • Port on left side?

Thanks Sue, Yes, I'm sure not looking forward to the withdrawal headaches. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!:confused:

My left shoulder/chest pains have gotten worse. They're more frequent, and last longer. I got a fill yesterday, I should have asked him about it.. problems is unless it's hurting, I don't think about it :eek:

For hours at work now I've had this pain, and I keep bending my arms and stretching, doesn't help. Radiates into my collar bone. I haven't eaten a 'meal' today, and I think being hungry is a trigger for me. I had yogurt for b'fast, and a 90 calorie granola bites for lunch.. didn't seem to phase the pain.

I have been getting some bad shoulder pain now, all of a sudden. I am almost 3 months post op and the pain has just started. (I never had pain in my should after my surgery until now). It hurts when I am full, it starts hurting every afternoon and it hurts during and after exercise. It is a pain in the ass. I have actually been taking my liquid codeine prescribed at surgery to stop the pain.

No rhyme or reason....it just hurts whenever it wants.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I have the left shoulder pain when I am hungry, and when I get full. I know it seems strange, but I start to get the ache, and I know I better stop and eat something, or it will get alot worse. After I have eaten a little, the pain goes away. If I eat too much or maybe too fast, then the pain comes back. I actually enjoy this little feature, as weird as it is. It reminds me to eat (isn't that an odd thing to say) and it reminds me not to eat too much ( now that is more normal).

I also mentioned this to my Dr, and he said it didn't have anything to do with the band, and to see my regular Dr. I talked to the nurses at the hospital who do the fills, and they said they have heard of this, but were kinda hush hush about it. I think they need to tell you that this is a risk of the surgery. People need to make an *informed* consent. I would have still chosen the surgery, and would still do it again. I just am hoping another fill will help restriction. I haven't found the "sweet spot" yet. I have lost about 35 lbs, but no more in the last month. (I can't remember how to change my ticker.)

Lisa

I had a lot of shoulder pain starting at about 6 weeks post op. It would radiate from my shoulder down to my port area. Usually taking OTC meds and laying down would make it go away relatively quickly. My doc even ordered a CT Scan to make sure that I wasn't suffering from a blood clot. After awhile they pain lessened and now (six months post op) I very rarely suffer any pain at all.

Have hope!!!

Michelle

My doc too said that he has no idea what is going on....if it is so common, how come they don't know about it?

Yeah, I don't get that either. Although the nurses that do the fills at my dr.'s office to acknowledge it and nod their heads when I talk about it. That's good, I guess.

i am beginning to think this is nerve pain also. I am a nurse, i keep thinking i should know what this is!! I was worried also about it being cardiac related or something gone wrong with the band. it can get bad, especially up high in my left chest.

Teresa:

When I asked my surgeon about it he said it is referred pain from the esophogus. He said there's a nerve that runs along the side of the esophogus that goes up through the left shoulder. He said I must have irritated my esophogus and that caused the pain in my shoulder. I've had it about ten times since I was banded and it can be very painful. Thankfully, it doesn't usually last too long.

I hope it doesn't happen too many times for you.

Take care.

Sue

thanks sue. I will be going in for a fill on monday, I plan to talk to the surgeon then. It hasnt happened all week so I hope that is good news.

I have had the left shoulder pain off and on. My port is on the right. I haven't noticed a correlation between hunger/fullness and the pain either but I will pay attn. next time. I was banded on Nov. 7 2007.

I had very severe left shoulder pain after the surgery and it lasted about 2 weeks before subsiding somewhat. My regular Dr. told me about the nerves in the stomach connecting to the shoulder. So a combination of the gas they used to fill me up and irritation to the nerves caused the pain.

I am having pain in either shoulder now occasionally sometimes getting intense. Hope this isn't a permanent condition.

I forgot I had this pain! I saw this thread was revived, but just so you know, I was complaining about this pain back in 12/07 it looks like.. I had not had it at all through 2008, until Thanksgiving (I didn't remember having it before!). I ate way too much, and had a nauseating pain in my left shoulder.. felt like I broke my arm!! My band doc said it was probably a diaphragm spasm, and it went away after a couple of hours. Have not had it again since.

Well I just got my date - April 16th....I am so excited and terrified! My surgeon told me right away to expect left shoulder pain off and on. He could not explain it but he said it is common.

i was feeling really good after my surgery (3/30), however, I went to the movie on tuesday and during the movie, i got a sharp pain in my left shoulder. Once I stood up, it lessened.

however, every since then, when I sit for too long or when I take a deep breath, i feel the pain again. I talked to a doctor tonight at a support group and he said I needed to talk to my surgeon, but it may be my diaphram pushing Fluid in my lungs up into my shoulder. i do not feel the pain when i'm laying down nor when i'm standing.

he said to call my doctor's nurse tomorrow (4/10), but i see my surgeon on monday (4/13) so unless it gets worse, I'll probably just wait until then to talk to him.

anyone else experienced this type of pain?