Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just downed a medium sized bowl of fruit salad in one sitting, how is this possible?!

Hi, i was sleeved 2.5 weeks ago, started mushies in my third week, but usually i can not eat more than two large spoons of ANYTHING, but this fruit salad i downed in 10 minutes like it was nothing, this makes me question how my stomach works, i'm confused, are fruits just going right through me?

794c7554-a72b-406c-9def-2f22d6eafd41.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-25 at 3.38.04 PM.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

Hi, i was sleeved 2.5 weeks ago, started mushies in my third week, but usually i can not eat more than two large spoons of ANYTHING, but this fruit salad i downed in 10 minutes like it was nothing, this makes me question how my stomach works, i'm confused, are fruits just going right through me?

794c7554-a72b-406c-9def-2f22d6eafd41.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-25 at 3.38.04 PM.jpeg

2.5 weeks what food progression are you on? Are you hitting your 60-80 grams of Protein per day? Is fruit salad on your plan? If is,, How many ounces are allowed? Should you make a full meal out of fruit salad when it has no protein count???

fruit is mostly Water and compresses down to nothing in your stomach. Thus, most of us can pack away a lot of it. But all that sugar?? And the calories? Seems like a lot this soon after surgery. I agree with the above poster - is this on your surgeon's plan? Wouldn't have been on mine, but...

8 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

2.5 weeks what food progression are you on? Are you hitting your 60-80 grams of Protein per day? Is fruit salad on your plan? If is,, How many ounces are allowed? Should you make a full meal out of fruit salad when it has no Protein count???

i follow 4 week program: 1st week Clear Liquids, 2nd week full liquids, 3rd week mushy food, 4th week soft food.

i don't count my protein intake but i try to at least eat one high protein meal per day ( tuna, Protein Shake, fish etc...) i don't think i hit 60 grams of protein most days.

as for fruits, there is no mention of it in my nutrition booklet, but because fruit is soft i assumed its okay, and i didn't have any problem. i don't have a nutritionist or a doctor number, because i did my sleeve in a government hospital so there isn't much follow up and contact between patients and doctors/nutritionists, they give a you a booklet and send you home, but hey, at least its free :)

^^^^What these 2 gurus said. Please heed their advice so that all will go well with your life. Just because you CAN do something--does not mean it's prudent.

Edited by FluffyChix

Just now, Brotherman Bill said:

i follow 4 week program: 1st week Clear Liquids, 2nd week full liquids, 3rd week mushy food, 4th week soft food.

i don't count my Protein intake but i try to at least eat one high protein meal per day ( tuna, Protein Shake, fish etc...) i don't think i hit 60 grams of protein most days.

as for fruits, there is no mention of it in my nutrition booklet, but because fruit is soft i assumed its okay, and i didn't have any problem. i don't have a nutritionist or a doctor number, because i did my sleeve in a government hospital so there isn't much follow up and contact between patients and doctors/nutritionists, they give a you a booklet and send you home, but hey, at least its free :)

First and foremost it is all about the volume.

At about 4 weeks here is your VOLUME rec.

Liquids = 4oz at one meal (4 oz of anything liquid)

Soft Foods = 1/8-1/4c (that means 1-2oz by WEIGHT) maximum per meal. That means at THIS time? It's ALL about the protein. Until the time when you get ALL your protein in from food.

Protein first. Then if room, a bite or two of well cooked, soft veggie at 4 weeks. The ONLY time you might add a little frozen or canned fruit (ie fruit without peel and low or no added sugar) would be with a tiny bit of yogurt. But emphasis is on a bite or two--not a whole bowl. For one it's WAY too much sugar/fructose at 1 meal and for two, you MUST get your protein in.

At 4 weeks, you MUST get your protein in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Non-negotiable.

Here is a link for diet instructions. Relying on surgery restriction alone won’t keep you successful long term.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/422271-sleeve-surgery-instructions/?tab=comments#comment-4736323

Down load a food app - Myfitness pal or baritastic. Youtube vidieos on how to use it, You will need to know if you are hitting your weight loss calories, the amount of carbs fats and sugars you are eatting each day.

Food app downloads

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baritastic.view&hl=en_US

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android

2 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

i don't count my Protein intake but i try to at least eat one high protein meal per day ( tuna, Protein Shake, fish etc...) i don't think i hit 60 grams of protein most days.

the guidelines most of us get are that we should focus on protein first, then non-starchy vegetables. If there's room after that (which there often isn't early out), then an occasional small serving of fruit or whole grain carb (although whole grains can be tough on your stomach early out - so I'd wait on those). Some people, esp those who are carb sensitive, never or rarely eat fruit at all during the weight loss phase, given the sugar. I'm not particularly carb sensitive, but early out, a fruit serving for me meant maybe six or eight berries on my Greek yogurt. I still don't eat a ton of it because of the calories - and even though fruit is packed with Vitamins, there's still a lot of sugar in it, so I limit it.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

First and foremost it is all about the volume.

At about 4 weeks here is your VOLUME rec.

liquids = 4oz at one meal (4 oz of anything liquid)

Soft Foods = 1/8-1/4c (that means 1-2oz by WEIGHT) maximum per meal. That means at THIS time? It's ALL about the Protein. Until the time when you get ALL your protein in from food.

Protein first. Then if room, a bite or two of well cooked, soft veggie at 4 weeks. The ONLY time you might add a little frozen or canned fruit (ie fruit without peel and low or no added sugar) would be with a tiny bit of yogurt. But emphasis is on a bite or two--not a whole bowl. For one it's WAY too much sugar/fructose at 1 meal and for two, you MUST get your protein in.

At 4 weeks, you MUST get your protein in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Non-negotiable.

alright i will stop buying fruit salads, too bad the lentils, Beans and tuna all make me feel nauseated after 1-2 spoons :( maybe i'll stick to Liquid Protein (shakes and Greek yogurt) for 1 more week.

4 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

i assumed fruits = healthy and the calorie count is not that bad, is it?

9b13120c4f372d2f7ee9e34d8d5727d2.png

6 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

i assumed fruits = healthy and the calorie count is not that bad, is it?

9b13120c4f372d2f7ee9e34d8d5727d2.png

Using my fitnesspal food log app. High in carbs and sugar no Protein value

Carbs = 32

Protein = 2

Sugars = 28

10 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

alright i will stop buying fruit salads, too bad the lentils, Beans and tuna all make me feel nauseated after 1-2 spoons :( maybe i'll stick to Liquid Protein (shakes and Greek yogurt) for 1 more week.

Look. Eating right now IS supposed to be sufficiently hard in order to deter you from over-eating and to provide a negative feedback. Purposely going for "easy" soft to digest food is synonymous with "eating around your tool." You are looking for ways to make it easy on yourself to get food in so that you don't feel that negative response. But the reality is...the SOONER you can advance to solid dense lean Protein, the better! Honestly. It's the stuff that will get you and keep you satiated longer and will keep the food in your tool longer which means you also absorb the nutrients better!!!

(Edited to add: And of course you MUST follow your prescribed food progression plan from your doctor!!! Do not try to advance more than appropriate for your stage and level of healing!!!)

So keep working at soft foods: soft boiled eggs, soft scrambled eggs, canned tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, poached white fish, poached salmon, liverwurst, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (but not too much), EggFace ricotta bake, green bean casserole with lots of canned chicken in it. Try chilis, Soups, stews with slowly cooked meats and only tiny bits of veg...

Drop the lentils and Beans for now...

Edited by FluffyChix

-To make this less confusing –

I would suggest using the SLEEVE diet instructions I linked for clarification of what you CAN eat and what to avoid. There are too many variations of plans and people posting that have a different type of surgery. Keep us posted on how you are doing. You got this. Many good things coming your way.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Look. Eating right now IS supposed to be sufficiently hard in order to deter you from over-eating and to provide a negative feedback. Purposely going for "easy" soft to digest food is synonymous with "eating around your tool." You are looking for ways to make it easy on yourself to get food in so that you don't feel that negative response. But the reality is...the SOONER you can advance to solid dense lean Protein, the better! Honestly. It's the stuff that will get you and keep you satiated longer and will keep the food in your tool longer which means you also absorb the nutrients better!!! So keep working at soft foods: soft boiled eggs, soft scrambled eggs, canned tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, poached white fish, poached salmon, liverwurst, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (but not too much), EggFace ricotta bake, green bean casserole with lots of canned chicken in it. Try chilis, Soups, stews with slowly cooked meats and only tiny bits of veg...

Drop the lentils and Beans for now...

when will i be normal again? when will eating stop being a hard task? i don't mind the small quantities, i just hate wondering if the next bite will make me throw up :(

6 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

-To make this less confusing –

I would suggest using the SLEEVE diet instructions I linked for clarification of what you CAN eat and what to avoid. There are too many variations of plans and people posting that have a different type of surgery. Keep us posted on how you are doing. You got this. Many good things coming your way.

i bookmarked the link, the first app you linked isn't compatible with my device unfortunately, but i downloaded the fitnesspal one. thanks very much for your help and resources :)