Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are the Surgeons Telling Their Patients?

I recently attended a fraternal organization dinner where I ran into a friend who I haven't seen in over 20 years. We were seated at the same table and a conversation soon ensued. It turns out that he had gastric sleeve surgery six months ago and has lost close to 90 pounds and needs another 30 to get to his ideal weight. He said at the rate he's going it shouldn't be a problem. I don't tell many people about my surgery and I didn't inform him. When I go to these types of affairs I eat my food at home as per my food plan and usually don't eat at the function. I do utilize a tip that I found here on the forum, I put some food on a plate and move it around as I have my conversations with the people at the table. It seems no one realizes I'm not actually eating.

My friend seated next to me who had WLS was eating a good amount of food. Even if I was eating I could not eat the amount that he was and I'm post op close to 20 months. At dessert time he had a sample of a few Desserts as well. As the night wore on I asked him about his WLS. He told me that it was the best thing he ever did. When asked about the amount of food he could eat he stated, " I don't deprive myself and I can eat anything and still lose weight." I told him that I heard that there was a "honeymoon" period where you lose a certain amount of weight and that's it. He told me that it was part true but as long as you watch what you eat and exercise Portion Control you can continue to lose weight. He said that most people who regain the weight deprive themselves and eat too much of whatever they want and that he eats what he wants but does not eat too much of it. I mentioned the desserts and he said that he eats a little bit of this and a little bit of that but he won't eat a whole cake like he used to. He said he's through with the yo yo dieting and that he plans never to be over weight again. One final question to him, where did he get all his advice and information from. He said his surgeons office works closely with each patient and gives them one on one training to be successful. What are other surgeons telling their patients? This guy looks to have been given a bad plan of action.

Everyone goes about their life post-op differently, but I don't think your friend is doing anything "bad" or "wrong" with his actions. If he's already lost 90 lbs, he's clearly seeing good results from the surgery and from his current habits. I have seen some people on these forums say that completely choosing to never eat certain things (like desserts) works best for them, but I know several people in my real life who have been sleeved and they all fall closer to your friend's type of eating than to complete deprivation and they've all hit their goal weights.

Eating what we think of as "bad" things in moderation, combined with good exercise and healthy food choices nine times out of ten is still an effective method of weight loss, for people who have never undergone wls and for people who have. To each their own!

Advice varies so much between practices. This may work for him. Only time may tell. But at least his advice came from his surgeons and he can go right back to them for help. Some people are outliers, they will lose and keep it off forever no matter what they eat (I've seen it) others are on the opposite end of the spectrum and will struggle for dear life no matter how closely they work with their Team.

I was told not to over indulge in rice, bread and Pasta as they were not beneficial in nutrition comparative to other foods i could be eating like vegetables. But i was also allowed to eat what i wanted on vacation (within reason) because they didn't want me deprived in any way.

My surgeon advised to eat 1/4 cup portions and stick with Protein first, then veggies, then grains. My nutritionist says around 800 calories/day.

Both Good Logical Goals for you! Thanks for Sharing them.

I was told to eat when I was hungry and stop when I wasn't - and prioritise Protein. And that was it.

It seems like I haven't been given much guidance, but on the other hand, I don't have to think obsessively about eating the right food, because the rule is simple. Mentally, that's excellent for me, because I thought about food too much before, but now I don't.

Very fatty or sugary foods make me feel a bit nauseous, so eating the right stuff isn't really a struggle. But I pretty much eat what I want, but in very small portions. My weight loss probably hasn't been as fast as some people's, but on the plus side, I don't seem to have too much saggy skin, despite having lost over 100 lbs. Slow weight loss has its advantages. 😉

Edited by looly

I can see the reasoning on his thinking. I think the most important thing is for you to be happy. We ALL have the same problem, but we all are different and have different mindsets on how we are going to continue on this journey. for some its what they eat, for others its how much they eat, and others its both.

Do what is going to work for you. eat cake, eat pizza, just dont eat the entire thing.😁

5 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

My friend seated next to me who had WLS was eating a good amount of food. At dessert time he had a sample of a few Desserts as well.

Not sure if I would've been able to do this after 6 months but this is exactly what I'm doing now when there are special occasions.

I do utilize a tip that I found here on the forum, I put some food on a plate and move it around as I have my conversations with the people at the table.

There are really kind of... interesting tips floating around the WLS community.

As the night wore on I asked him about his WLS. He told me that it was the best thing he ever did. When asked about the amount of food he could eat

So you at least kind of criticized a fellow WLS patient about the amount of food he was eating while not disclosing you had WLS as well. Wow.

He told me that it was part true but as long as you watch what you eat and exercise Portion Control you can continue to lose weight. He said that most people who regain the weight deprive themselves and eat too much of whatever they want and that he eats what he wants but does not eat too much of it.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. Sounds like he is sick of dieting and learnt something along the way: that deprivation doesn't work for him.

This guy looks to have been given a bad plan of action.

This guy's plan looks better to me than many of the unrealistic ones I've seen touted on this board way too often.

Regarding your question what the surgeons told us: they told us nothing about diet plans because nutrition is the dietician's part of WLS.