Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So depressed I need help

Hey everyone. I am five years postop from a gastric sleeve procedure. My starting weight was 310 pounds I got down to 170 and looked great in my eyes. I have gone the absolute wrong way! I have gained like half the weight back. I am it 235 lbs. I am so upset and I don’t know what to do. My stomach has definitely stretched and I feel like I can eat like I used to. I went back to see if I could get the procedure again and they said it’s not possible and actually dangerous. What can I do? I am so upset I felt so good about myself when I lost the weight. Now I am back to obese. Has anyone else experienced this and was able to lose? What did you do? Please help!

2nd opinion. Go back to basics. Take it one day at a time. Do the things that worked right out of surgery. Clean your crap out of the house: pantry, fridge, freezer. Go back to exercising everyday. Drink your Water but don't drink with meals.

Follow your old rules!!!! If you must snack, make it highly dense, low reward foods: hb eggs, raw veggies with a bit of Greek yogurt mixed with herbs and must be 100cals or less. Ditch the carbage. Focus on dense very lean Proteins. Drop your cals to the level you were at when losing. Consider doing IF with EFs (extended fasts) once you are fat adapted.

Can you go back to the basics of eating 600-800 calories a day, focusing on Protein, getting in your Water and exercising? It might take a month, but surely you can get back on the path of good habits and eating and be happier about your food choices. Have you done any therapy to talk about any food issues you may have that caused you to regain your weight?

The issue with 600-800 calories is that my stomach has stretched so much and I would literally feel like I’m starving. I have been eating waaaay to many carbs and drinking with meals etc. doing everything I’m not supposed to do. I don’t know how I could do that right now. I know what I’m supposed to do but I’m having such a hard time doing it. I know it sounds like I’m making excuses but I’m seriously at a low right now. I was looking so good and I feel like I’ve blown it all.

23 minutes ago, Erica517 said:

The issue with 600-800 calories is that my stomach has stretched so much and I would literally feel like I’m starving. I have been eating waaaay to many carbs and drinking with meals etc. doing everything I’m not supposed to do. I don’t know how I could do that right now. I know what I’m supposed to do but I’m having such a hard time doing it. I know it sounds like I’m making excuses but I’m seriously at a low right now. I was looking so good and I feel like I’ve blown it all.

FILL that space with Water water water. you can do this!

43 minutes ago, Erica517 said:

No you won't. You will be hungry for about 4-5 days. Pound water!

Here's what I ate yesterday!

I fasted through until 1pm yesterday. So each day I do an 18:6 TRE (time restricted eating). I had the following:

Breakfast: Black decaff coffee + green tea + bergamot tea + turmeric/ginger tea (all unsweetened)

Lunch: Big Ass Stirfry (ate it in 2 meals)

Snack: Maatcha Greek Yogurt with Blueberries and Walnuts

Dinner: Turkey Lettuce Cups (like tacos in lettuce)

image.thumb.png.853783ef1f835e378a68dc7cc5144b00.png

image.thumb.png.bee922ac37d11e7c7e7990255525f6f3.png

54 minutes ago, Erica517 said:

I'd start with cutting way back on carbs and drinking with meals. After that, gradually decrease your calories. Jumping right back to 600-800 might be too radical and set you up for binging. Figure out how many calories you're eating now (by logging your intake) and then cut back by 100 every week until you get to the point where you're losing again. That's going to vary for everyone. I can lose when I drop below 1500.

First off, many many many people regain after WLS, so don't beat your self up, this is a typical occurrence. Why it occurs IMHO is because of two reasons #1 not logging your food. Easiest way to start eating too much and packing away way too many carbs. #2 creating a lifestyle you can't maintain. Most people cannot sustain 600-800 calories for their entire life. Some folks can and I stand up and applaud their dedication. But what happens (and this is experience talking) we adjust our metabolic rate so low that when we just want to maintain and eat like a quasi normal human being the weight piles back on rapidly.

My suggestion is to start slow, kick it down to 1000-1100 calories a day. Lower total carbs down to under 50 grams per day and make sure they are healthy carbs (nothing with added sugar, no white bread or pasta). Get up and move, at least 30 minutes of activity 5 days a week. Try not to eat all day. Grazing = Bad. Stop eating at 7:00 PM.

Or do something more tailored to you and your circumstances but do not despair and do not commit yourself to something you won't be able to stick to long term. WLS is more about a permanent lifestyle change, not a crash diet.

Edited by YeahOkay31

What do they mean you can't get the procedure again? The sleeve? Maybe that's true, but what about RNY??

sounds to me like there may be some underlying issues that should be addressed as well as the weight issues going back to basics is mind over matter if it matters your mind can take control of it and proceed back to hi Protein and Water and no carbs or very little you have tasted the success and your body has the memory to go back to your desired weight its a life change and the tools you were given 5 years ago my be worn NOT broken (some times you have to sharpen that old pocket knife) best of luck and i pray for you and your success cheers!!!! YOU CAN DO IT !!

Check out this doctor's website: https://www.sleeveacademy.com/store

he got me back to eating healthier. Good luck!

17 hours ago, Erica517 said:

stomach has definitely stretched and I feel like I can eat like I used to.

@Erica517

i'm sorry you have had regain, very upsetting🙁! the above suggestions/posts

from OP are all great, follow them to the tee and things/weight will gradually

improve.

The common phrase on the board is "Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should" (referring to over eating)

Your stomach does not stretch a lot PO, this is a frequent discussion /debate -

but i think the "doesn't" stretch wins!!! (per my doc and NUT), it might stretch a "teeny" bit, but not as much as you think

I do understand "feeling sorry for oneself" - been there, done that!!! losing,

gaining, up and down, mentally and physically draining

you must move on - easier said then done, you can/will get back in the right daily rules/ habits - i know you will - i can see it in your eyes.

get back to eating healthy, watching portions, drinking - before you know it, we'll

see "less and less" of you.☺️

come back with more ??'s, for more info, OP experiences and support

you will be successful once more

good luck bud

kathy