Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rants and Raves become NOT for newbies

I think its a great idea to have a pop up come on telling you that you are entering a RnR section. I dont see why it would be such a big deal to have it. You guys that dig RnR....would it be so bad to have it? I think it would just help keep people that perhaps didnt want to participate in the posts free from it. Especially if they havent figured out how to unsubscribe from threads or to only view the threads they participate in by clicking their user cp.

This is a HUGE board. We can have our individual experiences where people who dig rnr can have it, and people who are here for just support can have that too. I think the rnr section has grown so large that it really could benifit from its own distinct section, dont you?

You guys dont want people like me in there, and i dont wanna be there...if that makes me SO STUPID then so what? i am then, and i need a little pop up that says "hey you dont want to go in there" to pop up when i accidentally click a new thread not realizing where its sectioned off in. I dont really think its asking too much.

I think then you can have the experiences online you seek and others can have theirs too. it doesnt STOP anyone from going in, it just warns them they are about to enter it.

and marjon, thats a great thread, but i didnt participate in it before the poll closed or i would have said this.

I totally support a pop up warning and the rnr be sectioned off.

Perhaps anytime you click on a thread link or the forum that would take you into RnR you would first go to a screen that says in HUGE letters something like this:

LBT Rants and Raves *** Off-Topic DEBATE AREA *** Want debate? Get it here. Gripe, complain, moan, fight, rant and rave. Enter at your own risk!

This is an area of no-holds-barred discussion, some of the views and thoughts expressed here may be disconcerting to some, if you don't like it, don't read it. It can be a place for people to vent, RnR is not a "support" forum.

By clicking to continue you agree to the above statement.

faithmd--That's a good statement--wouldn't that be enough to "warn" people to stay away if they don't want to debate?

Although...doesn't "enter at your own risk" kind of tip everyone off, too?

Forgive me if this has been suggested (I only skimmed the thread, feel free to spank me)

What about making R&R's permission only. Like you have to PM a mod to get access? So if you want in, you can get in. But if you don't wanna know what goes on in R&R's you don't have to see it in "New Posts"?

Everyone should have the right to any section of the board, new or old. When people aren't bitching about other board members (which got a little out of control), they are generally debating life issues and I for one am happy to read those posts and if the urge hits me to post as well.

Everyone should have the right to any section of the board, new or old. When people aren't bitching about other board members (which got a little out of control), they are generally debating life issues and I for one am happy to read those posts and if the urge hits me to post as well.

Sade,

I agree, it did get a tad out of control - even for RnR.

however, one thing I dont get is one person was posting (making fun) and having a great time "slamming" others - until they thought we were "slamming" her.

THAT is when the tone immediately changed.

I, for one, would find it unbearably obnoxious to face a "warning screen" or "pop-up window" EVERY SINGLE BLEEPING TIME I want read a post in Rants and Raves. I also note that Rants and Raves-type comments frequently are found on other types of threads as well. For example, this thread is in "Suggestions, Feedback & Questions." So I don't think a "Warning Page" would solve anything.

I find it shocking that people feel that they need protection from a little robust bantering. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for anyone who feels that way. I think you are being ridiculous.

Fortunately, when this type of thing has come up before, the owner of this site has had the wisdom to tell people, in essence, to "get over it," and to just ignore anything you are not interested in. I fervently hope he continues with that approach.

lol well gee marjon....dont hold back, it was only an idea and a suggestion. I hope you werent shocked too badly ;).

but to explain....

sometimes, going into rnr is like walking in while someone is relieving themselves. I learned the hard way that my delicate sensibilities just cant handle it, and rnr is not why im here. Im not suggesting my experiences should be the same as yours or someone elses. I just think that SINCE it is like that over there, then a curtain would be nice so that those of us who do not want to watch others ...relieving themselves....shouldn't have to involuntarily.

I don't see why the FAQ and the Abbreviations and what they mean cant be bold or in another color or something so they would stand out. Stand out so much that they glare in the Introductions area where it says Post Op Questions.

Well, as a newbie, can I just say I thoroughly understand how aggravating all the repetitive questions are? I can see that, really! But, since I can still remember what I was like when I joined this board, the first few days or so I was figuring it out, realizing maybe I shouldn't have posted this, said that, finding oh, here's the question I asked in another area, that kind of thing. I'm new, I made mistakes, I asked dumb questions, all the newbies do (maybe I shouldn't say ALL but there you go). I know that most of the questions have already been asked somewhere before, and sometimes the question has been asked one, two, or three pages in one thread. That I can scroll through. But, I mean, I've got a little kid, a hectic life, it's hard to scroll through HUNDREDS of pages to find the answer sometimes needed. In the FAQ's and References thread, it tells how the lapband works, but it doesn't answer questions like "How does it feel when I get stuck?", those kinds of questions that do get asked repeatedly. Now, I don't know exactly how these boards work, but if someone were to post really commonly asked questions in this section, I think a lot of the problem of the repetitiveness would be solved.

And don't forget, it's hard being the new kid on the block. You're new, you do stupid things, you're scared of looking like an idiot, but you would really like an opinion to a question, because SOMEONE has been there, done that before, and we just hope our answer isn't answered hurtfully - because we feel pretty darn low and stupid as it is. I think if we can answer the repetitiveness, so you "oldies" don't get so frustrated, everybody may be a lot happier with each other.

And, hey, this is the RnR section. Everyone's allowed to vent, gloves off. Can I ask why you really care if someone doesn't "like" what you've said? I mean, isn't this the point here, to say what you want to say, get it off your chest. It's not exactly a place to be all nicey nicey.

That's my two cents!

Linda

Woops, this isn't even Rnr. See, another stupid newbie mistake - posting in the wrong thread.

Sade,

I agree, it did get a tad out of control - even for RnR.

however, one thing I dont get is one person was posting (making fun) and having a great time "slamming" others - until they thought we were "slamming" her.

THAT is when the tone immediately changed.

I guess so... I still maintain that what I read when I was steered to the RnR section did not sit well with me but I was not ready to make enemies over it. I think we all need to be on this board, for whatever reason, so no point in making it an unpleasant experience. My addiction for food needs another outlet and this is one of them for me right now. I belong to other boards and I play computer games when I'm not out with friends or working but this board is about what is happening to me right now so this is where I'm spending most of my computer time at the moment. So let's just "feel the love" and get on with it !! :)

I find it shocking that people feel that they need protection from a little robust bantering.

The only thing I object to is pointing out/quoting specific posts and saying that they're dumb and having everyone agree. I think that just crosses a line into personal attack which is not a rant or a rave.

I also felt that a post referred to someone I know that hasn't had great weight loss results yet. It was hurtful. As far as I know, she didn't read it and I'm glad.

I stopped reading after that as I knew the thread wasn't for me.

I don't see why the FAQ and the Abbreviations and what they mean cant be bold or in another color or something so they would stand out. Stand out so much that they glare in the Introductions area where it says Post Op Questions.

I agree and I think this should be required reading before you can post just like TOS. I think most people would appreciate knowing this stuff before they start posting.