Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1/2 the person I used to be

As of today's weigh in, I weigh exactly half of what I weighed when I began this journey! I've lost exactly 50% of my starting weight, and I've lost almost 85% of my excess weight! So glad I did this!

You are such a inspiration. Thank you for your sharing and good luck in the future

4 hours ago, FancyChristine15 said:

As of today's weigh in, I weigh exactly half of what I weighed when I began this journey! I've lost exactly 50% of my starting weight, and I've lost almost 85% of my excess weight! So glad I did this!

💃💃💃🔥CONGRATULATIONS🔥💃💃💃

Congratulations!

Hoping and praying I can duplicate this . And the last 2 nights I have been vomiting, and when I go for checkups they keep noting I am doing well for ____months.I am not, stop noting pacifing things. This not the way things are supposed to be, will I have to scream today. to get someone to listen? Have an appointment at 3pm today, May be Only with Nurse Practioner Valerie, no sign of my surgeon, well having a mini-pity party at this second. Maybe I'll never see him again unless I need surgery again. Perhaps I get only a nurse because my case is BORING?
Well last weight was 224 on Thursday, I won't make 1/2 until I make goal, maybe 50 pounds to go. I was literally twice as big as I should be when I set out on the journey, lost about 125 since then, 95 or 96 pounds since surgery date 8 months ago, those sound fine except this AM my baby tummy is SORE. They told me at last EGJ things are healing well from what could be visualized, not so certain in my 💔of. ❤s. I have taken enough Carafate to build a patio, enough PPI to last until I'm 80, still do best. with Protein Shakes, RTF or powder reconstituted, Soups with minimal or no texture to them, applesauce, occasional mashed up fruit or veggies, am I on a Mechanical soft died the rest of my life? In theory I should be on Stage 4 or at least Stage 3, but when I venture towards such, up things come! Still unable to handle banana, Peanut Butter, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. eggs, or meat. Ground up?,Can't even handle ham salad with nothing added like pickle relish, celery or even diet mayo. So many abortive trials I am also sickened by the thought of trying once more. Oh I do take all my Vitamins, minerals, all the things PCP and Bariatric staff think I need, maybe that's what keeps me alive because a varied diet sure isn't. It is fatigue- ing to throw a tantrum but perhaps it's what I need to have someone listen for once! I want my joy back , I want my digestion back, I want to feel better and this blase treatment isn't making it for ME.

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Hoping and praying I can duplicate this . And the last 2 nights I have been vomiting, and when I go for checkups they keep noting I am doing well for ____months.I am not, stop noting pacifing things. This not the way things are supposed to be, will I have to scream today. to get someone to listen? Have an appointment at 3pm today, May be Only with Nurse Practioner Valerie, no sign of my surgeon, well having a mini-pity party at this second. Maybe I'll never see him again unless I need surgery again. Perhaps I get only a nurse because my case is BORING?
Well last weight was 224 on Thursday, I won't make 1/2 until I make goal, maybe 50 pounds to go. I was literally twice as big as I should be when I set out on the journey, lost about 125 since then, 95 or 96 pounds since surgery date 8 months ago, those sound fine except this AM my baby tummy is SORE. They told me at last EGJ things are healing well from what could be visualized, not so certain in my 💔of. ❤s. I have taken enough Carafate to build a patio, enough PPI to last until I'm 80, still do best. with Protein Shakes, RTF or powder reconstituted, Soups with minimal or no texture to them, applesauce, occasional mashed up fruit or veggies, am I on a Mechanical soft died the rest of my life? In theory I should be on Stage 4 or at least Stage 3, but when I venture towards such, up things come! Still unable to handle banana, Peanut Butter, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. eggs, or meat. Ground up?,Can't even handle ham salad with nothing added like pickle relish, celery or even diet mayo. So many abortive trials I am also sickened by the thought of trying once more. Oh I do take all my Vitamins, minerals, all the things PCP and Bariatric staff think I need, maybe that's what keeps me alive because a varied diet sure isn't. It is fatigue- ing to throw a tantrum but perhaps it's what I need to have someone listen for once! I want my joy back , I want my digestion back, I want to feel better and this blase treatment isn't making it for ME.

Oh my, @Frustr8! I didn't know you were having so many issues. I hate that for you. I'm so sorry. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that things start working out.

9 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Hoping and praying I can duplicate this . And the last 2 nights I have been vomiting, and when I go for checkups they keep noting I am doing well for ____months.I am not, stop noting pacifing things. This not the way things are supposed to be, will I have to scream today. to get someone to listen?
Well last weight was 224 on Thursday, I won't make 1/2 until I make goal, maybe 50 pounds to go. I was literally twice as big as I should be when I set out on the journey, lost about 125 since then, 95 or 96 pounds since surgery date 8 months ago, those sound fine except this AM my baby tummy is SORE.

@Frustr8 So what is wrong? You are 8 months post-op RNY gastric bypass and you cannot tolerate to eat solid foods. You should have transitioned into solids several months ago. What does you doctor or nurse practitioner feel the problem is? It might not even be related to the surgery! Many of your past post have been fairly upbeat. Is this just a bad stretch along the road or has your inability to transition to solids been there all along?. I am 70 years old and you are three years older than me. What do you think the problem is? Give me some perspective.

My stoma will not stay open after they dilate it, wish they would stent it or something. Plus my pouch had ulceration in it, and additional ulcers marching down my jejunem. I predicted this was going to happen,Omeprazole is not gastroprotective for me. Back in December 2017 my gastroenterologist found on endoscopy I had 1 small ulcer(Hector) and gastritis. And I was on Omeprazole tjreapy at the time. Made it clear to my Bariatic team, no Omeprazole, what do they give me? One guess!
I started telling 2 weeks in that there is something wrong. And they got peeved that I would suggest such a thing! Basically it was "Shut up and let yourself heal" Finally, I suspect they thought to prove me wrong an endoscopy was scheduled for October 12. When I woke up, Dr Noria, my surgeon's partner, shook my hand and admitted I was right, there was something wrong . They may have the degrees, but I have lived in this body over 70 years and I could tell.So at first I was having 2 endoscopies a month, then it spaced out to monthly, and now it is 7-8 weeks, and every time they try to stretch out my stoma, and pop it regressed back. Carafate every 6 hours, still on 3 times daily Zofran, to try to calm my nauseous poor pouch, last 2 nights I have vomited, basically liquids are all I can handle and that will pass through, well chewed other items come right back up. And I am weary of this all, oh my weight loss is great, 130 or so pounds since my HW, 95 pounds since surgery, now 224 and hoping to make goal 12-15 months out. Yeah I am usually trying to be upbeat but today I woke up in. pain still, right subcostal area is tender, that's the jejunal ulcers. I was assured I was coming along , go ahead and increase my diet, well I ended up wearing it again, stuff just doesn't go through that pinhole if it isn't liquids or thin puree. Only one teeny blessing, since vomit so quickly there is no bad smell to it all.

@Frustr8 One other thing causes me a little confusion. You said that your surgery was 8 months ago but you ticker says that it was on 2/7/2014. Is this your second time around? Did you go from a sleeve to bypass or ?

After my RNY surgery they put me on Omeprazole for a year. This was to allow my stomach to heal properly. It is routine. After the year, I was taken off and I have no signs of GERD anymore. I went off around 5 years ago.

According to the Internet:

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

So just to make sure we are covering all the bases.

Omeprazole is a proton-pump inhibitor. It is not the only one. Some individuals on this site have problem with omeprazole and found others that work more effectively.

NSAIDs are found in a number of products such as aspirin, Excedrin and many, many others. You have to stay away from these. My mother used Excedrin as a mild pain reliever for several years. But the problem was she was taking 5 or 6 times the recommended daily dose. She started hemorrhaging internally because she developed an internal ulcer. They had to give her blood transfusions as a result. I took away all her Excedrin and that problem was solved.

The third item is H pylori infection. This is a very common infection. About half the people in the world have it. It is very hard to kill. Sometimes it takes several antibiotic treatments to put it down. There have been several people on this website that have serious problems with ulcers. When they were finally check for this infection they found that was the root cause of their problems.