Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's benig banded on 11/20???

Hey Guys,

Remember me?

Well, I'm officially three weeks and I don't think I'm getting the restriction that I should. I'm doing it on my own right now. Mornings are okay, but in the evenings I feel like I need to eat every half hour. My husband got alarmed when he saw me eat 3 out of 8 slices of an 8 inch pizza.< /p>

I can eat about 1.5 cups of food at one time. Is that too much? The real problem is though even though i can eat that amount, about 15 minutes later I feel I can do it again! Somebody please tell me this will go away after I start to get fills.

I'm kinda depressed because of this and i feel really bad because I fear that my weightloss has stopped. HELP!

Yes, it will go away after you start to get fills! I can't say how many fills because doctors put in different amounts at different intervals on people who are different. :tongue: For me, it was the second fill, taking me to 6ccs in a 10cc band. Until then, I was just like you -- though I'll admit that before I was banded, I could have eaten five out of eight slices of a 15-inch pizza! So you're still doing better than you think.

You kinda have two choices: restrict what you eat and be hungry or eat when you're hungry and have little or no weight loss. I chose the latter because I've had enough diet frustration for one lifetime! I still ate much less than before and I tried to adjust to the rules. I even lost a couple of pounds in the five weeks before my first and second fills. But it is certainly easier now that I have some restriction. I got a little hungry this evening but I went too long between meals. I was just sure that I had already lost my restriction until the last couple of bites were very slow and a little uncomfortable going down.

Hang in there a few more weeks or maybe months -- but it will come and that's when the serious losing begins, from what I've been told. :eek:

Hi Ovahkummer!

It sounds like you are doing great. Yes, it will get better after fills. I could anything including pizza before my first fill. I've had 2 fills now and I really have to chew or I am in pain. I am loving my band. The weight loss is slow but it keeps coming off and that is all that matters.

It was good to hear from you.

Jill

Thanks guys for the advice. Today wasn't too bad and my uniform skirt was sliding all around my waist today. I kept my eating in check today. I guess I was just having 'one of those days' yesterday.

#135 (permalink) report.gif

post_new.gif 01-27-2008, 09:06 PM

ovahkummer

hey ovahkummer, hang in there!! your at that point of healing. need to remember that there is nothing in your band yet, it is not working.

are u drinking 70 gms of protien? it realy helps with hunger!

Hi everybody. I am going for my 3rd fill tomorrow. I have 4cc in the APS 10cc band. It worked well for about a week and then I was back to being hungry. Hopefully this fill will give me more restriction.

Hey all,

I did talk to my dr. (his nurse rather) and she called me back this evening and told me to come in on Friday to get the adjustment.

Hi Everyone,

As I See It

At the risk of generalizing, it seems that many of us are within reach of the back door to Bandster Hell. Maybe we haven't found the elusive sweet spot yet (why does the Snitch from Harry Potter come to mind, fluttering in the air just beyond reach), but we are putting in the work, going for our fills, learning how to eat all over again through trial and error and maybe even seeing some NSV's or a little movement on the scale. Let me throw a Bible quote at you, since the Holy Land is my stomping ground: "Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid nor dismayed (Joshua 1:9)". I truly believe that there are great days out there for us, as long as we keep showing up and sticking together.

Turning a Corner

I have restriction after one fill. I have decided to blend my meals. I just don't have a supportive environment for eating slowly during the week, and I don't want to fight it. I'd rather get the food into me this way rather than dealing with the frustration of sliming and pb-ing in public. I think I'm done fighting the restriction and am ready to use it. I have roughly 3 cups of food a day along with a fruit between meals and clear Soup and herbal tea after dinner. Lately, the temptation to eat at night hasn't been there, and that is a huge relief. I feel I've turned a corner over the last few days and there's been weight loss as well; After having plateaued for a month, I'm down to 249 lbs (no longer morbidly obese!) from 286: a total weight loss of 37 lbs since surgery (I didn't have a pre-op diet). It is good to see the scale moving again.

For All of You

Firebolt, I strongly empathise with what you said about not wanting to count. I believe that some sort of frame of reference is necessary (cup size, plate size, serving size, or boundaries like not taking seconds) but I have to remember that the only thing dieting and obsessively counting my food intake ever did for me was made me gain weight, which is why I decided on the band! When you think about it, doesn't the band, with it's assorted gurgles, hiccups, and burps give us the best frame of reference at all? I don't mean to imply anything regarding what anyone else is doing. I only know that counting and getting into the diet mentality will only give me grief.

Skinny Jill, good luck with Fill III. You are one determined, resolute woman; I would not like to be standing between you and something you want! Marilyn, despite your unpleasant experience after your first fill, I'm glad that things are moving for you, and that you've had some weight loss and pleasant encounters with smaller clothing. Boy, do you deserve it! Keep the good news coming! Marissa, I miss you - what's new?! Let's hear something from you!!! Longhorn, I loved your advice to Ovahkummer. Even when "giving in" to the hunger when restriction is not satisfactory, I've tended to eat less and bounce back quicker than before. I think that's better than assaulting yourself with diet frustration and guilt. Tlwempen, how are you hanging in there until your fill on the 18th? Towens, any more support group meetings? What are they like? Did you get in touch with your Doc after your second fill? And Ovahkummer - how was your adjustment today?

I 'll close with Firebolt's words from a recent post of hers - she certainly speaks for me: "Again, I just want to say "Thank You" to each of you who continue to post & keep us informed. This is waaaay better than a "support group" that you only meet once a month. I feel like you guys are good friends now & we share so much together. "

Love,

Bandpal

Hey Bandpal,

Good to hear from you. I was just thinking about how long I haven't heard from you, last night and whata you know? We really do connect here. It's good to hear that you are no longer "morbidly obese". Congrats, I know you worked hard for that.

To answer your question,I did not get my fill today. They were really busy today with emergency and I was not one so I was put on the backburner until Monday.

I am reconsidering though. I've been reading a lot about "Bandster Hell" and recognized that my scale can be a liar. When I weighed in on Friday, the scale was recording 13 instead of 19lbs loss. My mind started to scream "ONLY 13 LBS???!!! Then everyone at the office started to comment on how 'differently slim' my face was. My mind kept telling me that they were lying. To reinforce that thought, along came one of my friends who have not seen me for a while with the comment "you have put on weight or is it the clothes?". To think that I had not worn that shirt in how many months because it couldn't fit me! Even when I got home, my mother and stepfather commented on my weightloss.

Later that evening, it dawned on me that, hey I'm not even a full month out of surgery, not even exercising yet and I've lost 13lbs! The last time I lost 13lbs it took me almost a year! Then I began to really examine what portions I've really been eating. A sandwich that I used to eat for Breakfast now lasts me for half of the day, and it still takes me at least 30 minutes to drink 8oz. I've never p/b or slimed and I eat anything I want to. So I find myself asking what should restriction be. Should it be that you are only able to eat a certain amount only or should it be that you are able to eat less than before the surgery?

I've asked my husband to put the scale where I can't reach it because I think I'm obsessed. When it's numbers are falling I rise and when they stand still or climb, I come crashing down.

Help guys, should I wait until the standard six weeks to get my fill? Should I go with the rule that when you start to gain, its time for a fill? Was my weight gain, really a gain? Did I initially really have Water loss and not fat loss, so that now I'm eating again my body is now replenished? What should I do?

how is everyone. I received another fill on Jan 30 and now am up to 7 1/2 cc's. I can finally tell a difference and fill full real quick. How is everyone else doing?

Hi Friends,

Sorry I've not been around much lately. I've been swammped with Girl Scout Cookie Sales & other Kid Stuff. The Cookies have not YET been delivered, so there's been no temptation from them (but they get here on 2/20 - I AM NOT STORING THEM AT MY HOUSE). I also have my kids trained to hide 'naughty' food and not keep it in the pantry. My goal is to not eat a single GS Cookie until I'm at my 1/2 way goal.

Well, I'm down 28 lbs so far (72lbs left to go). I was really getting hungry again and went in for my 4th fill. I'm at 5cc's in the APS 10cc band. Ate some chicken from the top of a salad & I'm full! I hope this lasts a bit longer.

But, as my fellow Potter Fan (Bandpal) says: "but we are putting in the work, going for our fills, learning how to eat all over again through trial and error and maybe even seeing some NSV's or a little movement on the scale." And that's what counts. This is going to be a long process and we just need to hang in there & find what works for us.

Bandpal - I'm glad you're finding ways to make it work in your personal environment. 37 lbs down is TERRIFIC! You're finally out of that MORBIDLY OBESE catagory. Doesn't it feel great to be on the road to health? I love your quote from Joshua. I think I may just put that quote on the fridge as a reminder! And just think - You are a terrific Seeker, so therefore that Golden Snitch will not elude you for long, my friend! Just keep an eye out for a Bludger, ok?

Ovahkummer - Hang in there. Keep that scale hidden for the time being. Just continue to eat well & throw in some walking when you can. I had my first fill 4 weeks after surgery. If you're hungry, get it filled - that's what it's there for!

Towens - Wow 7.5cc's! I bet you're getting some terrific restriction. How much have you lost so far? How much are you able to eat at a sitting?

Skinny Jill - Sorry about the Superbowl. Well, 18 out of 19 ain't bad! You are doing sooo well on your weight loss! I't terrific your down 35 lbs!

I'm so glad you're doing well!

Longhorn - OMGosh - You've got only 34 left till goal? Wow - that's inspiring.

Well, I'm off to walk on that dreaded treadmill (can't wait for it to get warm enough here in Ohio to walk outside for a change).

Love to you all & keep me posted on how you're doing!

Firebolt:

It's very sweet of you to include me, even though I'm only an "adopted" 11/20 bandster. :thumbup:

I got my third fill today, bringing me to 7ccs in a 10cc-band. I'm on liquids and mushies this weekend so it's hard to tell about my level of restriction. However, I had *some* restriction before the fill so I'm sure I'm tighter now. I'm hoping I can start losing a little faster than just under a pound a week (not including the big chunk I lost right after surgery.)

I had three daughters in Girl Scouts at once years ago and I ate way too many boxes of Cookies, at the expense of both money and calories! We were pretty successful at selling, though. All four of my kids took piano lessons at the University of Texas Music Building at the same time that Longhorn Band had rehearsal. We would fill a wagon with Cookies and sell them nonstop while the students were on break. :eek:

Congratulations on the 28 pounds! I'm impressed that you are able to lose so much with a smaller amount in your band. Great will power! :thumbup:

Longhorn - what a smashing idea!

I have a daughter in Band & Track - Maybe we'll just bring a couple of extra cases to the performances & track meets & clean up!

Good thinking!:biggrin:

Happy 3 month anniverysary! I can't believe it has been 3 months. I've lost 25 pounds and I am thrilled. Life has not changed that much either. I thought that life would never be the same after the band. In a way, I guess that is true because it has gotten better. I know I am healthier and I feel much better. :)

I can't wait to see how much weight we've all lost at 6 months.

Hello, friends!

I apologize for not checking in for such long time - I think about all of you often, and I miss our fun conversations and support.

I haven't posted lately because I was feeling pretty crappy about myself for a while. I saw myself sliding slowly back into my old habits (mindless eating, not exercising, etc.....) and it was horribly depressing for me. I know that a negative attitude can affect others. Which is why I avoid people when I'm having a rough time - I don't want to have a negative impact on others. I had been pretty out of control for about 3 weeks. Super Bowl night was when I realized what I was doing to myself. My husband and I were over at a friends house, and there were tasty little finger foods all over the place. I began to nibble on this and that (of course without measuring) and before I knew it I was uncomfortably full. So there I was, sitting there painfully full, thinking about what I could do to get the next bite of chips & dip down. I continued that way the entire evening - the entire time thinking to myself, "What am I doing?!?! WHY am I sabotaging myself?!?!". My obsession with food had won, once again. Over the past 2 months I had had a couple of sticking/sliming episodes, but they didn't stop me from continuing my self-destruction. The day after the Super Bowl incident I was so disgusted with myself. I was so angry that it took me that long to open my eyes and see what I was doing to myself. I'm only human, I know (blah, blah, blah)...but STILL!! I wonder, why did I try so hard to have this surgery, pay so much money - and still sabotage myself?

Thankfully I didn't gain weight during my backsliding time, I merely maintained. Once I was back on track I began to drop the pounds. I still lost 10 pounds last month (but just think how well I would have done if I'd been good!). I know that I am only human. I also know that I will make mistakes in my journey...this is a learning process.

I am now back on the path to health and thinness! I have lost a grand total of 65 pounds now, from my highest - that is a wonderful victory! HOORAY! I am nearly half way there. I hope to be a smokin' hot babe just in time for beach season. :) I am beginning to see subtle changes in my body - the biggest changes are noticed in my clothes, everything is too big (I'm not complaining!). Before surgery I was wearing an enormous 26/28, now I'm fitting in 18/20's! I'm getting very close to being able to shop in the 'normal' stores - which I am absolutely thrilled about!!! At least one person per day tells me that I look amazing and that they can tell I've lost weight, which is a huge boost to keep up the good work.

I look forward to posting more frequently and interacting with all of you again. How is everyone doing?!?!

Can't wait to hear from you!