Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like such a fool! Warning this post contains a "break-up" email*

It's great that you didn't address specific parts of her email and start an argument.

It *is* hard but you needed to do it to be able to be thin. You found courage as you said.

I'm sure a lot of us have had to go through HUGE changes and cut people/jobs/food out of out lives.

It's just a shame that your hand was forced so soon but you're right, this will cut it off so you don't receive a phone call and let your love for her make you suddenly apologise for upsetting her by having surgery.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">It sounds as if your friend is still not being honest with you. Her lame cover-up excuses have more holes than swiss cheese.

Reading between the lines, (and lies), this is what I think she meant to say:

Dear Amy,

I can't tell you how much I am hurt that you had WLS. I mean, I am the skinny one! I am the center of attention! And now I hate you for taking that away from me! I could try to stay skinnier than you, so I can keep up my rep, but NO FAIR! You had WLS, and I have to do it on my own! WWHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were my wounded bird. You made me feel good about myself, especially when you and I were in public together.

The boys always looked at me... now I have competition? I hate you for that. I am going to take a break from you because I can't handle the emotional stress this has caused me. In the meantime, i am going to try to find another fat friend that can boost my confidence once again.

Thanks for being my 'friend', but your purpose has now dissolved.

Sincerely,

Best Friend w/ Major Self Issues

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Amy I agree 100% with want2beme - I know that really doesn't help with the loss of your freind - but was she really ever your true friend a true friend would Celebrate your choice to have a healthier life.

This is her loss not your - We are here for you and will celebrate with you your journey to live a healthier life.

Love & Hugs

Janet

I'm sorry for the loss of your "friend", but WHAT THE HELL?? I think she wants to continue being the "skinny one" and is threatened by your success. A true friend loves you for all your diets, successes, failures, weight losses and gains. I can't imagine how you can get your head around that absurd e-mail. Move on girl! She'll just complicate your life with too much drama. Surround yourself with people who encourage your success, not make you feel guilty for your success!

[quote name='cookielover;629341

She titled her email to me: "You deserve this much..."

I titled my email to her: "No this is what I deserve."

Here is what I sent:

I decided to keep it purple because it made me feel a little better.

"Dear...' date='[/color']

I am not mad or upset with you, as I know that you are broken inside. However that does not mean that you have to break me down as well. I care about you so, if watching me get better and healthy is too much for you to handle I can find the courage to let you go. For this is the journey am taking in my life, and I realize it is not for you. I need you to understand in the future when you have a crisis or a problem; I will not have your back. It is no longer "us" against the world; it is only "you" against whatever haunts you. I want you to find all the happiness you deserve, and I pray you start understanding that you deserve more. I have never ended such an important relationship in my life, and my hope is that I never have to do it again. That is why we can not be together anymore. I can not live on the "edge" with you. I don't want to open another email and wonder, "will this be the email that breaks my heart?" So for that and many more reasons I have to say good bye. Thank you for the gut-busting laughs, 2 hour phone conversations, and the memories; I will cherish these things and you forever.

Hoping you can find peace and acceptance,

Amy"

Well I am going out for a long walk. Maybe I can walk away some of this pain.

Oh yeah just so you all know on Saturday I went to a party and had an okay time, I have been out for coffee with a friend, joined a gym today, researched joining a theater group, started planning a Christmas open house, and booked two trips for the holiday season to see family. (I am trying to find things to do that are positive.) Now if I could just mustard the strength to clean the bathrooms and vacuum today! ;)

Hugs to all of you!:hug:

Well said - Glad you sent this - as said before - we are here for you..

:scared::girl_hug::fish:

I too agree with want2beme. I feel it is jealousy. I have a friend that for the past few years we were attending weight watchers. Sometimes I'd lose a few pounds more sometimes she did. Although we did not attend the meetings and weigh-in together, each week she would either email me at work or call me and ask me how much did I lose or gain. Then once again as always for me, we fell off the band wagon and gained it all back. Since the day I told her I was going for the lap-band she was against it. Never a good thing to say about it. Well here I am down about 42 pounds total (22 since surgery) and I have not seen her. If I don't call her, I just don't hear from her. So now we talk only once in a while. I'm proud of my weight loss, and anyone who does not care/like it can go pound sand!

Cookie~

Good for you for being strong and standing up for yourself! I believe you are the bigger (bigger as in BETTER) woman for ending that toxic relationship. Nowhere to go from here but UP!!!!

I am very proud of the way you handled such a devasting blow. You are a true inspiration to me.

~Sheri

Amy,

My heart just breaks for you, I have lost friends, not over weight loss, yet, but other reasons, and know that the pain really cuts deep. I think the part that is blowing me away is she didn't want you to mutilate your body...what does she think we have done for years with food...same thing, just a different source...I have to agree with everyone else, she has her own issues and baggage, your taking care of you was more than she could handle. You will be in my prayers... your reponse was awesome....Wanda

Keep Breathing. I know this is one of the hardest things you have had to go through but each day will hurt just a tiny bit less. We may be a poor substitute for a 25 year friendship but we are here for you just the same.

1 Corinthians 10:13 "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

I'm glad you sent the email....it was very well written - I think you could still say you took the high road. Hopefully you can find some peace and closure now. I have lost a couple of very best friends over the years for various reasons and the pain is still somewhat there when I reminisce. But I have finally gotten to the point where I can also look back fondly on the good times and then move on. It sucks though, and I really feel for you. Good for you for doing proactive and positive things to get through this!!! Gym, theatre, Christmas -- all good stuff!

Jenne

I agree with you sending the email. I cannot believe that this person, who was your friend for 25 years could just turn like that. Its got to be jealously, not only for your weight loss, but for the happiness in your life of your family too.

I really think some people are friends with a fat person because they are safe; most don't do risky things or get into trouble, guys don't look at them first, and you can be used to break the ice in situations. Its sucks that it comes down to that, but in the bottom of your heart, could you continue to be friends with someone now that the true colors are showing?

Interesting how she turned this all about herself. I had something similar although it wasn't related to the lapband. I spent 7 months away from my best girlfriend. We are now talking again and things are a lot healthier between us. Maybe some time away from each other will be healthy for you. Good luck.

Amy- I can't believe you didn't mention this earlier on our October board. I just saw you linked the thread and read about this. I am so sorry for the loss of your friendship... I know we were warned that we may lose relationships when we lose weight, but it is hard to imagine until it happens. You just wouldn't think a friendship could be lost after 25 years. I know people get jealous, but from her e-mail I think this person has some real issues that for some reason are surfacing now when you are on this wonderful journey. The loss of the friendship has nothing to do with you.... The e-mail was so strange. Some of it didn't really make sense. I am not sure what is going on with her, but she was trying to turn her issues into something about your weight loss, and it is not about you at all. We are here for you.....

:lol:

Mutilated your body???? What about the tons of fat we are or were carrying around on our bodies? What about that mutilation??? Your friend does not seem to be thinking about you whatsoever. I agree with want2beme, your friend is jealous as hec and also very self absorbed. She needs some very serious counseling, not to mention compassion. I think you are better off not having that kind of "friend" in your life. o on with your success and continue your journey. Not everyone in our lives are going to be supportive or happy for us. We need to surround ouselves with POSITIVE influences. Best life journey to YOU. You deserve it.