Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 mos out and over ate, ate too fast and ate something too fattening

Omg y’all. Tonight my husband and I sat down for dinner. We shared an order of general tso.
I ate two bites of egg roll, two balls of chicken and prob a 1 1/2 tbls spoon of rice. Number one, poor choice in a high fat dinner, was hungry so ate too fast and ate too much apparently. Suddenly I felt this sudden nausea hit me hard!! Feels terrible and like the food comes all the way up to my throat. I am 10 mos out and haven’t over ate before....guess this is what it feels like?!! Omg horrible. How long til this goes away?!!! I have not thrown up but feel nauseous.

8 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

Omg y’all. Tonight my husband and I sat down for dinner. We shared an order of general tso.
I ate two bites of egg roll, two balls of chicken and prob a 1 1/2 tbls spoon of rice. Number one, poor choice in a high fat dinner, was hungry so ate too fast and ate too much apparently. Suddenly I felt this sudden nausea hit me hard!! Feels terrible and like the food comes all the way up to my throat. I am 10 mos out and haven’t over ate before....guess this is what it feels like?!! Omg horrible. How long til this goes away?!!! I have not thrown up but feel nauseous.

On the positive side, you know your sleeve works. Lesson learned

I agree. Lesson learned. I am just kicking myself because since my surgery I have really worked at eating slow and never over eating. Tonight I got caught up talking and was eating dinner a lot later so I was hungry. All hit me like a ton of bricks. 🤮🤢🥴🤐

You don’t WANT that feeling to go away. That feeling goes away and you lose awareness.

More immediately, it depends on how much you’ve overeaten to gauge how long until the nausea fades, and it’s different for every person. When I overeat (the difference can be as small as half a bao) it usually takes me 15-20 mins to level out. One tip: do not try to drink Water to “wash it down”. That trick does not work anymore. You just have to ride it out and next time you’ll pay a lot more attention to that limit-approaching feeling.

Edited by sideeye

I did not wash it down. I never drink before, during or after eating (30 min after)
I always eat slow and as soon as a feeling comes I stop. Last night was a bad combination of my being hungry and eating too fast and distracted with talking. I’ll def not let that happen again. That feeling was HORRIBLE. I’ll def remember that feeling as to not do that again.

And I , at 7 months and having the OTHER variety of common bariatric surgery, have learned Rice even the stuff cooked by Chinese, who certainly should know proper ways of cooking the grain, will not be accepted in my dietary system. Last feeble attempt went so badly I have sworn off the stuff. At least it returns back up instead of congeling into a viscous ball in my gut and sitting there or precipitating a Dumping Crisis. Too doggone bad, I USED to ❤Chinese food, even the Americanlized imitation you can readily get around here. Really truly enjoyed the True Stuff one can get in Columbus, 50 miles away, my favorite thing? Hot/Sour Soups followed. by Egg Drop and WonTon ones. My local China Buffet makes a coconut dish, lunch time it's chicken, dinner hour it contains tender mid- size shrimp instead. Might trample someone who blocks my path to it! But haven't been back since surgery, waiting until my pouch would accept 1/2 to 3/4 cup without repulsing it out and It hadn't happened yet. Begin to wonder if it ever will?

Think you’re right that Chinese is just too fattening. I didn’t get dumping...although that would have been better than the nausea that I felt.

Kris77, I think it’s a learning process for life. Don’t be too hard on yourself, you already feel bad enough. Sounds like your quite the inspiration so far and I also believe talking it out (confessing in a way) helps gets your mind back on track. Stay Positive, your not alone😉

Thanks for the kind words...like someone else said..once you have felt it you def don’t want that again!

Honestly I think it's great it didn't happen until you were ten months out, you are doing things right. The feeling is horrible. It will very likely happen again and it's a reminder of how not to eat. I'm over seven years out and that would still make me very, very sick. My restriction never lessened, but I used that first year to make a lot of changes. You're doing great! Keep it up and you'll be at goal soon if you aren't there yet.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, Kris77 said:

OUCH had this issue last week after a pot luck at work. did not over eat but the variety I guess did not sit well. immediate nausea. and the first time I have vomited since surgery.

I do Chinese but no rice for me. just my cashew chicken and egg rolls, usually get about 4 meals off of one serving lol

Is the General Tso a fried chicken ball-type meal? I have such a hard time with anything fried, I can totally relate to that awful feeling of the food pushing up against my throat, and the nausea/overfull/discomfort. It used to be a lot worse, to the point that I would have to lie down after certain meals. It's gotten a lot better now that I've learned (over and over again!) that fried foods make me feel crummy and I shouldn't eat them. Now I get grilled/poached/steamed options and it sits much better. I have also gotten my family to eat low-carb dinners (my husband is type 1 diabetic, so it's better for him, too!) so I don't feel like I have to cook or eat high-carb meals at home anymore. It's been helping.