Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transfering to alcohol?

Anyone else noticing that as they address the food issues, and can no longer use food to compensate, that alcohol has gained in attractiveness? Seriously I used to drink once every six months. Now I find I am looking for booze a couple times a week. Any one relate?:faint:

There is a common happening known as addiction hopping. (That's an unclinical term :cool: ). I can't relate to the alcohol, but I can relate to hopped addictions. 98% of the people here can.

There's another current thread on the same topic here.

Past thread here. Here. Here. Etc. You're definitely not the only one. :)

I have a friend who got the gastric bypass, he's lost like 120 pounds so far... and is now an alcoholic.

I've heard this put as "Floating compulsions"

It's how we cope. If we don't learn how to "really deal" with our issues, we will just transfer our coping drug of choice so to speak.

Just be careful though. I haven't "hopped" to alcohol yet and have had no problems so far with drinking....until yesterday. I'm not sure if it a combination of things or maybe because this is the first time drinking at this fill level.

Yesterday, I was in a controlled environment, drinking as a volunteer for a police academy class, and had four rum and cokes. Only blew a .14....which is legally drunk but not really all that high. Landed me a ride in an ambulance to the ER. Spent roughly six hours in the ER with no memory of being taken by ambulance and very little memory of the couple hours in the ER. Soooo, just a word of warning to take it easy if you are out drinking

Side note, they did x-ray me since I had been throwing up and dry heaving so much. The band is ok. I'm going to put myself on liquids (non-alcoholic, lol) for a couple days as a precaution.

Wow Farmer I hope your ok. I hope if I transfer addiction It will be to soemthing healthy

I have heard of people having transfer addiction.

I have been lucky so far. My trans addition was from food to LBT forums, like many of us.

It is common for us addicts to switch addictions, just need to find a more healthy addiction to switch too. My daughter in law turned into an alcoholic 3 years after gastric bypass, serious, mean alcholic, has been arrested 2 times in the past 6 months, a DWI and domestic violence charge. When she isn't drinking she is an awesome daughter and wife. It has been hard on our family to deal with this. Be careful and if you have any concerns that you might be headed down the wrong path look for a support group, and the fact that you have asked the question shows me that you have some concerns.

I've never been a big drinker. Maybe 3x a year. Since banding, I have liked the taste of alcohol more.. I don't feel like I'm deprived of food and transferring.. maybe I'm in denial hah hah. I still don't drink often, maybe once a month.. but that's still more than I use to. I like dirty martinis now. I just have one when I decide to drink, but I love it. In the past I drank only to get drunk, hated the taste of alcohol and would just shoot stuff holding my nose.

Somehow alcohol is more enticing. I wonder if it is because the alcohol metabolizes into sugars. Drinking is definitely different now. I feel like if I let myself-I would drink too much, So I have been careful about when and where I drink. I have done away with the glass of wine (or 2) at home to relax and only drink in social situations or in restaurants (before I eat of course). I am only in a situation like this every couple of weeks so I know I won't go overboard!

I haven't yet figured out whether I drink too much just to consume (like the way I shove more & more food in) or if I have a drinking problem. I only drink on special occasions but it always ends up excessive. They go down fast & furious and I even mix drinks. Banded or not I wonder if that would really be hopping or if you would just overconsume like you overeat? Always been my mystery.

This is my fear, too. I only drink on New Year's Eve and maybe, MAYBE a single drink with dinner two other times a year. Seriously, I drink so little I may as well be a tee-totaler.

HOWEVER, and I cannot believe I'm even confessing this, I recently bought a small bottle of Southern Comfort and keep it in my nightstand just because I feel better knowing it's there. I bought it when I started trying to lose weight pre-op and was stressing out about everything. I haven't even opened the bottle and I've had it over a month but somehow it's comforting to me. (No pun intended.) =) This worries me because my dad and brother are alcoholics. I'm going to have to watch myself carefully after I'm banded, I suppose. I'm sitting here trying to analyze myself to understand why a practically non-drinker like me would do such a thing and why I find it so comforting but my mind is blank.

I think I like alcohol more now because I get tipsy quickly. But I don't drink often (haven't had any since Spetember).

Trystelle-

I have just gotta ask you how the heck you have lost 103lbs in 5 months. That is remarkable. Did you lose some weight prior to surgery. I am down 35lbs. in 6 weeks. I just had my surgery 2 weeks about this Tuesday but I want your secrets. Details girl...details...please.

LOL-It wsn't all in 6 mos. I went from 330 to 315 in about 14 months after giving up candy. At the beginning of April, I met with my nutritionist and she gave me a 1600 cal diet to do for three days. I just kept doing it until my surgery in July. I lost 40 pounds between April and mid July. Since my surgery I have gone from 275 to 227. I don't have any secrets except that I exercise and try not to eat crap. I drink lots of Water and crystal light. My weight loss is slowing down a lot though. Lost only 1 pound in two weeks. But I really need a fill. I am going next Monday. Thanks fir the encouragement. You will be here before you know it!!