Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pumping Stomach full of air?

So i'm told during the surgery they're going to pump my stomach full of air so that they could move around and do stuff. Is that what everyone else does too? I'm thinking maybe thats why my doctor doesnt need me to do the preop diet... I'm only just hearing about the pumping air thing i dont think i've heard anyone talking about it happening to them. I don't know I'm just trying to make sense of it and decide whether or not i'm going to do the preop diet. My surgery is coming up soon so I don't have that much time to think about it.

Hi. The doctors dont pump your stomach full of air, but they do pump carbon dioxide into your abdominal cavity so they can see what they're doing. Research what is done during laparoscopic procedures, such as the gadtric sleeve. This has nothing to do with the pre op diet. Some doctors don't require a pre op diet, and some do. Don't worry, it'll be fine. But you may have gas pains afterwards. The gas is not in uour stomach or intestines though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

You still need to do the pre-op diet to make sure your liver isn't enlarged prior to surgery. Yes, they pump in "air" to expand your stomach so they can reach things, but your liver still needs to be in good shape for the surgery. You'll release gas within the couple of days post-op and your stomach will deflate. It's no big deal. They do it with every laparoscopic surgery. It's normal. I had it too.

Except for the few " Open" and although they are few and far between, most are laproscopic these days, and we all , like Grady Cat said, have been there. I was one of the few not to complain about mine, my facility expels as much as feasable at the close of surgeries, so I did not have this problem but I have had others and the friendly consul on here helped me get through them all. "Shrink" your liver if you get the opportunity, it makes your healing go so much more smoothly. I had a fatty liver in July, a month of liver shrink and my surgeon said it was smooth, healthy and pliable and no trouble for him at all. My surgery was quick, smooth and easy for us both! And may yours be the same, April!

Yes, they usually inflate the abdomin to make room for the laparoscopic tools they are using, and they may also inflate your stomach at some point during the procedure (this is normal during an endoscopy so that they can see the inside of your stomach take their pretty pictures), at least my doc does as part of checking for leaks after he is finished sewing up the stomach. This really has nothing to do with the liver thing and pre-op diets, as that is more of an individual surgeons' preference - some are more comfortable working around a potentially fatty liver than others.

And not all the air can be let out after surgery. That's why they want you up and walking around asap as much as possible. This is the only time they want you to fart! :) Take gas-x strips with you to the hospital; you just let them melt on your tongue. You would be amazed, but that gas goes all over inside, and many people (like me) will get a pain in the shoulder, and it's that gas.

Just an FYI - I had ZERO gas pain after surgery and passed no gas at all. The surgeon took extra time removing as much air as he possibly could. I never understood the gas pain thing people talk about. So it may not happen to you, either.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:06 PM, mousecat88 said:

Just an FYI - I had ZERO gas pain after surgery and passed no gas at all. The surgeon took extra time removing as much air as he possibly could. I never understood the gas pain thing people talk about. So it may not happen to you, either.

I realllly hope so!

Thanks for telling me I feel a little bit better!

On 3/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, Calgalintx said:

And not all the air can be let out after surgery. That's why they want you up and walking around asap as much as possible. This is the only time they want you to fart! :) Take gas-x strips with you to the hospital; you just let them melt on your tongue. You would be amazed, but that gas goes all over inside, and many people (like me) will get a pain in the shoulder, and it's that gas.

I bought gas-x but they're like little candies or something, I don't know. Is that what you mean by strips?

Thanks!

On 3/24/2019 at 2:12 PM, Frustr8 said:

Except for the few " Open" and although they are few and far between, most are laproscopic these days, and we all , like Grady Cat said, have been there. I was one of the few not to complain about mine, my facility expels as much as feasable at the close of surgeries, so I did not have this problem but I have had others and the friendly consul on here helped me get through them all. "Shrink" your liver if you get the opportunity, it makes your healing go so much more smoothly. I had a fatty liver in July, a month of liver shrink and my surgeon said it was smooth, healthy and pliable and no trouble for him at all. My surgery was quick, smooth and easy for us both! And may yours be the same, April!

Thank you so much!

On 4/4/2019 at 12:35 AM, april042019 said:

I bought gas-x but they're like little candies or something, I don't know. Is that what you mean by strips?

Thanks!

I'm sorry April, I had multiple technical issues yesterday and could not reply. I found gas x strips, little green strips that melt on your tongue. That way you don't have to swallow or need liquid.

9 hours ago, Calgalintx said:

I'm sorry April, I had multiple technical issues yesterday and could not reply. I found gas x strips, little green strips that melt on your tongue. That way you don't have to swallow or need liquid.

My surgery was yesterday and they wouldn't let me use them anyway they said Im not allowed any meds that arent form them.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:35 AM, april042019 said:

Thanks!

Oh no! They didn't sell them anymore? Just when I'm about to need them! I'm sure the chewable will be just as good.

1 hour ago, Calgalintx said:

Oh no! They didn't sell them anymore? Just when I'm about to need them! I'm sure the chewable will be just as good.

They didn't let me use them at the hospital anyway and now that I'm at home I don't really need them I feel a lot better.