Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want a second baby, but super scared of weight gain

I had gastric bypass 3 months ago, I want to wait atleast a year and 150 pounds to get pregnant again. But, last time I got pregnant I gained 70 pounds, then added an additional 40 pounds on top of that 3 years after. So, needless to say I'm super scared of that happening again, and regaining all the weight I'll lose before getting pregnant again.

Anyone gain alot of weight with pregnancy, or not gain a lot of weight? Any suggestions on how to not gain a lot of weight, or to maintain their weight with pregnancy?

I really want to have another baby before 40... (3 more years to go). Im so confused about this.

Sorry I can't give you advice from someone who has done this. But I'm sure if you talk to your bariatric team and a nutritionist about your concerns they will help you come up with a game plan. I would think that if you develop a healthy lifestyle including an exercise routine that kind of excessive weight gain in pregnancy can be avoided. Don't go eating crap food again just because you're pregnant and "eating for two".

Yep this! ^^^ You have to have a game plan for eating. Your nutritionist and bariatric team are the ones to help you figure this out. First. Get to goal. Don't get pg yet!!!! Lose the 150lbs first, then worry about having a baby second. I know lots who gained very little or only about 5-10lbs with pg. :)

I can't really chime in on the weight gain thing because I really didn't gain much at all with my last pregnancy (he's 4 months old now). I gained a total of 8lbs but it fluctuated up and down consistently. Some weeks I would gain 5-6 lbs and others I would lose it all. The baby was 7lbs 6oz at birth so technically I actually lost weight during the pregnancy when you consider Water, blood and placenta weight on top of baby weight. I really wasn't able to eat a whole lot because of my sleeve and I was sick the entire way through (was similar in my first pregnancy prior to my surgery but this one was way worse). However, I can tell you that if you can breastfeed and pump, you should TOTALLY do it.... I'm still losing weight and I'm sure it's from breastfeeding because my appetite is fine now. Keep in mind that being pregnant doesn't mean you have to eat a lot more. In fact, I ate a lot less because most of what I did manage to eat... didn't stay down!

Edited by Lizardlady

On 3/20/2019 at 11:42 PM, jennyv83 said:

I had gastric bypass 3 months ago, I want to wait atleast a year and 150 pounds to get pregnant again. But, last time I got pregnant I gained 70 pounds, then added an additional 40 pounds on top of that 3 years after. So, needless to say I'm super scared of that happening again, and regaining all the weight I'll lose before getting pregnant again.

Anyone gain alot of weight with pregnancy, or not gain a lot of weight? Any suggestions on how to not gain a lot of weight, or to maintain their weight with pregnancy?

I really want to have another baby before 40... (3 more years to go). Im so confused about this.

Hi! My sister had her sleeve in August 2018 & found out she was pregnant October 2018. Since she’s had the baby she’s not gained anything. In fact, she’s down to her goal weight now. During her pregnancy she had her cravings, but the sleeve still helped her not overeat. When she was pregnant she was all baby, he’s about to be 7 months now & is super healthy. Hope this helps!

I was sleeved in November 2018 and got pregnant in May 2019 with my 3rd child. I was 175 then, got down to 160 at around 6 months, 168 at delivery, and I'm now about 155 at almost 12 weeks post baby.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:42 AM, jennyv83 said:

Anyone gain alot of weight with pregnancy, or not gain a lot of weight?

I want to thank you for staring this thread. I have not had a pregnancy before and I got VSG. I want to have a child at some point in the future but I am very worried about gaining weight. Reading the responses you received has helped me decrease my stress and worry about a future pregnancy.