Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys... I know this sounds really gross but I am seriously struggling to use the bathroom (number 2)...I am 6 weeks post OP and I go maybe every 4 or 5 days and it is these massive boulders that I cry to get out... literally cry. I know it's most likely the Protein and the Vitamins. I need help. I dont want to take laxatives because they honestly do nothing for the impacted stool already stuck in my bowels. How on EARTH do you stay regulated? This is the worst pain I have ever had. Any advice, foods you eat to go, regiments, would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Miralax, 2 tsps. every other day. lots of Water. I am 3 months out and all the extra Protein is doing it to me too!

I was told if you go past 4 days work from the bottom up (suppositories)....I haven't tried but it seems people here like them and they are not as bad as it sounds to me LOL.

But miralax every single night ( i woudl take a full dose in a warm cup of tea so I don't notice it).....has no taste or flavor but makes the Water a tad cloudy so tea helps mask that for me. Once you go and are more regular cut back to every other. I havent needed it lately but if I go two days I start it immediately....after one time of struggling and being in pain, no more for me!

Good luck

And MIRALAX is super gentle. no cramps or stomach aches. I have to give it to my special needs son and I would not use it otherwise.

Edited by Avery's Mom

Just now, Avery's Mom said:

And MIRALAX is super gentle. no cramps or stomach aches. I have to give it to my special needs son and I would not use it otherwise.

I agree with this...I also did take Smooth Move tea last week because I didn't think things were moving right and I didn't have any horror stories from that either. Didn't really do a lot just seemed to go a few more times the nex tday but nothing bad.

11 minutes ago, Tejee said:

Guys... I know this sounds really gross but I am seriously struggling to use the bathroom (number 2)...I am 6 weeks post OP and I go maybe every 4 or 5 days and it is these massive boulders that I cry to get out... literally cry. I know it's most likely the Protein and the Vitamins. I need help. I dont want to take laxatives because they honestly do nothing for the impacted stool already stuck in my bowels. How on EARTH do you stay regulated? This is the worst pain I have ever had. Any advice, foods you eat to go, regiments, would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you.

i have had this problem since my surgery as well , i found Smooth Move tea every morning or night has helped me a lot still am drinking it every day sometimes twice a day i go about every two days still not regular months ago ended up in the er for this problem i know for a fact women are tougher than men they have babys being impacted is not fun at all keep up on the miralax and smooth move tea

MIRALAX, 2 tsps. every other day. lots of Water. I am 3 months out and all the extra Protein is doing it to me too!
So does that serving of miralax just keep you regulated but not run to the bathroom? I took miralax but the recommend dose and I always have to run to the bathroom which is an issue because I work.

I was told if you go past 4 days work from the bottom up (suppositories)....I haven't tried but it seems people here like them and they are not as bad as it sounds to me LOL.
But miralax every single night ( i woudl take a full dose in a warm cup of tea so I don't notice it).....has no taste or flavor but makes the Water a tad cloudy so tea helps mask that for me. Once you go and are more regular cut back to every other. I havent needed it lately but if I go two days I start it immediately....after one time of struggling and being in pain, no more for me!
Good luck
Yeah I tried a suppository... they're honestly really uncomfortable and awful. :( do you take a full dose of miralax though? Because when I do I end up running to the bathroom and its painful plus I work so I tried to avoid any hard laxatives during the week.

My stomach always makes weird noises when I used miralax. Lol. But I found that when I used it yesterday I ran to the bathroom but the hard stool still stayed in there...

I agree with this...I also did take Smooth Move tea last week because I didn't think things were moving right and I didn't have any horror stories from that either. Didn't really do a lot just seemed to go a few more times the nex tday but nothing bad.
People recommend smooth move but I've heard it may give you diarrhea which I dont want because I do deal with hemorrhoids often...

Just now, Tejee said:

Yeah I tried a suppository... they're honestly really uncomfortable and awful. :( do you take a full dose of miralax though? Because when I do I end up running to the bathroom and its painful plus I work so I tried to avoid any hard laxatives during the week.

eek...I have not had any issues with miralax. I take a full dose if no movement for two days. But I haven't had to run to the bathroom at all. same w/ the tea. You have to experiment to find what works. Are you allowed any fruit yet?

i have had this problem since my surgery as well , i found Smooth Move tea every morning or night has helped me a lot still am drinking it every day sometimes twice a day i go about every two days still not regular months ago ended up in the er for this problem i know for a fact women are tougher than men they have babys being impacted is not fun at all keep up on the miralax and smooth move tea
Yes I agree with you... women are much tougher and I was struggling so badly. You dont find that smooth move makes you run to the bathroom? I work so I dont want to take anything too intense? Have you tried stool softener at all?

eek...I have not had any issues with miralax. I take a full dose if no movement for two days. But I haven't had to run to the bathroom at all. same w/ the tea. You have to experiment to find what works. Are you allowed any fruit yet?
Yes but low sugar.... has fruit helped for you?

Yes...I think adding in some fruit has helped- just dont eat apples or bananas!

Constipation can be a problem after surgery. When your bowels are compacted, the only solution I have found is to insert a glycerin suppository up the rear end. It unpacks you in about an hour or two.

For general constipation what works for me the best is to eat an apple before bedtime. Generally I then have a good bowel movement the next morning. But there is a secret here. You must eat the skin as well as the pulp. Apple sauce will not do the same thing. It is the combination. Since you are only 6 weeks post op, this may be too soon for you to try.

Here is a list of things people use to combat constipation derived from former threads on this site:

Smooth Move Herbal Tea

Prune juice (warmed)

Prunes (4 in the morning and 4 at night)

Magnesium citrate

Insoluble fibers (Garden of Life Raw Fiber or Renew Life Triple Fiber).

Haribo sugar free Gummy Bears (be careful with this one because it can cause explosive diarrhea)

Aerobic Magnesium 07

Ground Flax Seeds (but don’t try to grind it yourself). Use 2 tablespoons per glass of Water every night before going to bed.

Bowel Clear (herbal blend)

Also I might suggest that you take a probiotic to make sure that you have reestablished your colonies of good gut bacteria after surgery.