Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and Anxious Pre Op

I am terrified right now, even though I am still in the process of being authorized by insurance (submitted by surgeons office today). Does anyone else experience the emotional difficulty of dealing with the idea of giving up certain foods and changing all your eating patterns. I am 30 years old, 5'7'' overweight since age 6 and afraid I won't be helped by this surgery. I know I have over 100 lbs to lose and would be so broken if this did not stick. I have close family members who think I should not do it and I am starting to doubt myself.

( BMI 41 CW 265 GW 160)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Being scared goes with the territory. I had gastric sleeve in 2016 and I didn't follow all the rules, now tomorrow I'm having rny bypass and wish I had done that in the first place. I have great anxiety about tomorrows surgery but I know I'm in good hands and I'm tired of all the other health issues I get. It's so worth it. Keep watching YouTube videos and know you can do this ♥️😊

Yes I feel the same. But I also know that after years of failing diets and my body now feeling like it's taken it's toll I know now is the time to ask for help. And that's what this surgery will give me,a tool, to help me make better choices than I am now. The alternative is nothing. No help and no hope at all.

Nothing wrong with getting surgery. My dr was saying should lose weight on your own I said yeah I've been dealing with that for 20 years and I'm over it thank you so I'm going to see surgeons office this week losing weight isn't actually that hard but it's the long term challenges of keeping it off and staying on the track and I feel the bypass is the best because it restricts your food the most and that will teach you how to eat all over again, you will get full much quicker which will also help, unless you feel you can do it on your own then surgery is the best option why is it okay for people to go have cosmetic surgery but not for people to actually have surgery that will save your life??? Does not make sense! Do not listen to other people it's your body your future.

In my case my sugar levels and triglycerides are getting worse and my blood pressure and cholesterol is getting worse if I stay the way I am I will die of heart attack so I NEED surgery ASAP!

Edited by Mikeyy

I am terrified right now, even though I am still in the process of being authorized by insurance (submitted by surgeons office today). Does anyone else experience the emotional difficulty of dealing with the idea of giving up certain foods and changing all your eating patterns. I am 30 years old, 5'7'' overweight since age 6 and afraid I won't be helped by this surgery. I know I have over 100 lbs to lose and would be so broken if this did not stick. I have close family members who think I should not do it and I am starting to doubt myself.
( BMI 41 CW 265 GW 160)

I just post about this I'm scared/terrified & having nightmares. My surgery date is April 19. Part of me excited about how surgery can change my life for the best and the part is terried because I don't know the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 03/18/2019 at 21:13, bookworm88 said:

( BMI 41 CW 265 GW 160)

So at the tender young age of 30, you’ve probably not had to deal with many of the very unpleasant, inconvenient and downright awful side effects from prolonged obesity.
I first became obese when I was 28. By the time I was 40, I was diagnosed with TNBC (triple negative breast cancer). By the time I was almost 50, I was pre-diabetic, was getting high cholesterol, and had had 2 more cancer scares. My GERD was becoming more uncontrollable.
Working a 12 hour shift was becoming so painful that I was taking massive doses of NSAIDS and resting in bed whenever I could get a chance because my whole body hurt. Oh yeah, did I mention the thousands of dollars spent on the 2 cancer scares?

2018 was the year I decided enough was enough and I started the process. Took me from June 2018 through Feb 6, 2019 to get my surgery, but even though I’m only 6 weeks post, I’d still do it all over again—- even the 2 hell weeks immediately post-op when you’re desperately trying to figure out how your new digestive system wants to work.

Even at just 30 pounds lighter, I feel like a brand new woman.
Yeah, there are moments where I’d love to have my old stomach back for just 5 minutes, but then I think of how great it feels and how much better it will feel when the next 70 pounds come off that the food just simply isn’t that important anymore.

I’m convinced that someday I’ll be able to order off of a restaurant menu, but in the meantime I’m going to enjoy every step of this process and know that I’m giving myself the best chance ever of thriving in my 50’s that I couldn’t do in my 30’s or 40’s.

I