Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What just happened?



Recommended Posts

Before I start I would ask that you please be kind or don't comment. I'm very emotional this last week.

I had surgery 1 week ago today. I was all excited I get to go to full liquids today. I had half a YQ yogurt today and was fine. I ate baby bites. I had 1 cup mushroom Soup strained. For some reason soup I can get to go down without pain and relatively quick.

I'm allowed to have cream of wheat and put a tiny amount of brown sugar (I do not use ss) and fair life milk. It seems clumpy and thick but I tried to stir and rolled it around my mouth. I had to stop. I felt extremely full. Not sure if I are to fast or what, but I though I was going to die for 15 minutes. Terrible stomach cramps, which pretty much just subsided.

I'm scared to death and never, ever want that to happen again. Do you know what happened?

Thank you for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you being facetious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's why I asked. Since I'm a week out from surgery, I would think that's an odd question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t had surgery yet, but it seems to me like your body is still healing and it didn’t like what you did. I’ve heard that people’s tastes and tolerance change, so while I know you don’t want that to happen again, you may not be able to avoid it every time. And ive heard too, what may bother you now, may not in a few months. Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ZGal said:

I haven’t had surgery yet, but it seems to me like your body is still healing and it didn’t like what you did. I’ve heard that people’s tastes and tolerance change, so while I know you don’t want that to happen again, you may not be able to avoid it every time. And ive heard too, what may bother you now, may not in a few months. Best of luck!

I definitely am still healing, as I'm only a week out. Maybe too much too fast?

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds as though it could have been dumping or lactose intolerance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

03/04/2019 08:13 PM, gabybab said:





I definitely am still healing, as I'm only a week out. Maybe too much too fast?




Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!


That was probably exactly it. It takes awhile to learn your new stomach. I did the same thing with cream of wheat and ate it too thick. It could’ve been one bite too many and it also could’ve been from the brown sugar. I was told absolutely no sugar or anything with high fructose corn Syrup. They really didn’t want me using artificial sweeteners either, only Stevia. It will get easier! And when I was at your stage I was a harmonal mess ugly crying for absolutely no reason. Big {{{hugs}}}. It DOES get easier after the first week or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, elcee said:

Sounds as though it could have been dumping or lactose intolerance

Omg I never want that to happen again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DanaC84 said:

That was probably exactly it. It takes awhile to learn your new stomach. I did the same thing with cream of wheat and ate it too thick. It could’ve been one bite too many and it also could’ve been from the brown sugar. I was told absolutely no sugar or anything with high fructose corn Syrup. They really didn’t want me using artificial sweeteners either, only Stevia. It will get easier! And when I was at your stage I was a harmonal mess ugly crying for absolutely no reason. Big {{{hugs}}}. It DOES get easier after the first week or so

I think it was too thick and maybe too much. Possibly the sugar. Will skip the sugar next time and make it very thin and SLOW DOWN! Thanks for the encouragement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabybab you just Scared me! That doesnot sound fun. I havenot Had that experience Yet and would like to avoid it(i know probably not realistic). Hopefully,you can isolAte the culprit/cause. otHer than your recent scare, how are you feeling one week post sugery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Goody222 said:

Gabybab you just Scared me! That doesnot sound fun. I havenot Had that experience Yet and would like to avoid it(i know probably not realistic). Hopefully,you can isolAte the culprit/cause. otHer than your recent scare, how are you feeling one week post sugery?

I'm doing great otherwise. I've lost 27 pounds and people notice. I have bags under my eyes and they have dramatically reduced. It seems all around inflammation reducing. It's a wonderful feeling.

I don't think it was the sugar. The Dr's have sent me home with laden sugary pain medicine that is liquid. I've not had one problem with it. I honestly think it was way too thick and it expands. I also think I ate too fast.

Thanks so much for asking Goody! I hope you are doing great too!

Edited by gabybab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gabybab said:

I'm doing great otherwise. I've lost 27 pounds and people notice. I have bags under my eyes and they have dramatically reduced. It seems all around inflammation reducing. It's a wonderful feeling.

I don't think it was the sugar. The Dr's have sent me home with laden sugary pain medicine that is liquid. I've not had one problem with it. I honestly think it was way too thick and it expands. I also think I ate too fast.

Thanks so much for asking Goody! I hope you are doing great too!

I am getting there! No regrets yet. i just started walking the treadmill (sadly at an icredibly slow pace). itis more than I was doing before and I Know i Will get more fit. Cheers to slow thin meals. We got this Gabybab!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that your body rejected it, basically. When I eat something my stomach doesn't agree with, I now get immediate stomach pains, which aren't quite cramps, but I definitely 'know' not to eat that again. Being that your surgery was just a week ago as well, you are still healing, so try not to panic. I take it the pain is not continuous or anything like that? It was just a one time thing with the cream of wheat?

Edit: I just read the others' posts now, and yeah, it could have been the brown sugar or possible dumping. I think I read it doesn't happen as much with the sleeve, but it's definitely still possible, so maybe try the stevia next time instead? Also, your tastes change (sometimes dramatically) after surgery, so it could be that you just don't like one or the other anymore.

Edited by LustyDraconianMaid
Adding info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×