Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SLEEVE HELP regarding hunger hormones

Hey guys hope all is well.

I've been so hooked on getting RNY but now I've been told my slow release medication might be affected by the malabsorption so I'm curious now about VSG...

From your experience does the sleeve interfere with the hunger hormones I think it's called GHERIN? I'm just unsure if the restriction on stomach volume is enough for me especially long term I need to lose around 150lbs in 12 months!

If there's no change in the intestines just the stomach?

Thanks for your help.

Why the urgency to lose the weight in 12 months?

Yes the part of the stomach that is removed is where most of ghrelin is produced, however, after a period of time ghrelin production increases (not sure if to the prior levels however). I think there is approx 12 to 18 month window for the increased production, though the time frame may vary person to person, for some people the time frame may be quite low.

I guess this is why its important to adhere as much as possible to dietary guidelines for those foods that help keep us satisfied for longer.

It is only about 20 years since the ghrelin hormone was first discovered, I assume there is still a lot research to be undertaken in this area.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6158981/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196978115002454

Edited by 2shea

High school reunion/best friend's wedding

1 minute ago, Mikeyy said:

High school reunion/best friend's wedding

aaahhh...just one point to make, don't get caught too much on the scale weight, body composition is pretty important too. You could lose 150lb of fat, but gain 20lb of lean body mass but look much visually smaller than with just 150lb weight loss.

I was thinking 150kgs not 150lb, I suspect a motivated male could lose a significant amount of weight in a year, not sure it would be 150lb for you, but with sufficient Protein and weight training your body composition could significantly change - plenty of body fat loss with some increase in lean body mass.

1 minute ago, 2shea said:

aaahhh...just one point to make, don't get caught too much on the scale weight, body composition is pretty important too. You could lose 150lb of fat, but gain 20lb of lean body mass but look much visually smaller than with just 150lb weight loss.

I was thinking 150kgs not 150lb, I suspect a motivated male could lose a significant amount of weight in a year, not sure it would be 150lb for you, but with sufficient Protein and weight training your body composition could significantly change - plenty of body fat loss with some increase in lean body mass.

That makes sense :) I go with pounds because most people on here I've noticed are American!

16 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

I've been so hooked on getting RNY but now I've been told my slow release medication might be affected by the malabsorption so I'm curious now about VSG...

From your experience does the sleeve interfere with the hunger hormones I think it's called GHERIN? I'm just unsure if the restriction on stomach volume is enough for me especially long term I need to lose around 150lbs in 12 months!

Thanks for your help.

Your surgeon knows your medical issues and medications you take. You might want to discuss what type of surgery would work best for you.

The average weight loss is 60% of your excess weight with the sleeve.

My experience, hunger does not go away with surgery. First stages, hunger is less. As you progress out you will notice you can eat more in food volume. You will have real and head hunger.

I agreed with everyone else, and there is no way to tell how it will affect you specifically.

Some people say they never feel hunger like before and some swear they are hungry as soon as they come to from surgery.

I believe I feel real hunger, like prior to surgery but diminished in some ways. I think it started around 6-7 months post.

I can stabilize it with liquids if it's not a meal time, I can patiently search for appropriate foods or make them instead of eating just anything because I'm ravenous so I think I have not experienced any false hunger.

Edited by GreenTealael

I guess that you can say that i have relatively normal hunger at close to eight years out - I get hungry near meal times (getting there now, about an hour away from dinner and that pot roast in the kitchen is smelling awfully good!) and if I get busy and skip a meal a will feel hungry for a while until I get distracted by something else and what do you know it's way past lunchtime.

Loss rate can be quite variable, but you have a lot going for you being male and young-ish (in your 30's if I remember other posts?) which tend to help things. With the sleeve, I needed to lose about 100lb, having lost 50 or so a few years before and kept that off, and I was starting to ramp up my intake at six months to slow things down and ease off that last 10 lb. And I wasn't being all that aggressive on trying to lose fast in preference to losing sustainably; there was another guy online around that time with similar stats to mine and he was done in about four months by keeping his calories lower (similar 100lb loss with the sleeve) so it is quite possible.

What I would look for as an indication of your loss rate would be your history - how easily have you lost in prior attempts - and that can be a good gauge.

Good luck with it, whichever way you go....

Thanks for your help.
I had the sleeve last April 2018 and am down 100 lbs but went off my omeprazile and had serious issues/pain with acid reflux. Am on Pantrozole now which has helped but am afraid of bell peppers and cooked tomatoes, have not touched citrus. Now thinking I should have had the bypass.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for your help.
I know two people who had the sleeve and then the revision to bypass because of acid relux, damage to esophagus and one had gallstones.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app