Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DS V RNY HELLLLPPPP



Recommended Posts

Okay please tell me DS is also known as loop or MGB or SIPS am I right?

Why are people saying that surgery is better weight loss in very curious if people can give me the scientific reasoning or personal experience???

All I can find is information showing bad bile reflux with the DS/MGB

They both sound similar RNY or DS??? I'M THINKING ABOUT RNY but maybe someone can convince me otherwise before I choose surgeon!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a true DS is different from an MGB and a SIPS. I don't really know much about SIPS, but I know some surgeons do those now instead of a true DS. They're somewhat similar but not the same as I understand. An MGB is a variation of the RNY.

a true DS is the most powerful of the current weight loss surgeries . It's a sleeved stomach (VSG) with a partial intestinal bypass. It tends to produce the greatest amount of weight loss and an easier maintenance (because of the malabsorption). But Vitamin deficient risk is also the greatest with it, so you have to be really religious about taking your supplements.

since a DS involved a sleeved stomach, yes, there would be a greater risk of reflux with that than with an RNY. An RNY often improves - if not cures - reflux, whereas there's a risk of reflux with a sleeved stomach (note I said risk - not everyone who has a sleeved stomach develops reflux).

btw - there's also a malabsorption component with the RNY, but it's not as great as with the DS. Not as much of the intestine is bypassed with the RNY.

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

a true DS is different from an MGB and a SIPS. I don't really know much about SIPS, but I know some surgeons do those now instead of a true DS. They're somewhat similar but not the same as I understand. An MGB is a variation of the RNY.

a true DS is the most powerful of the current weight loss surgeries . It's a sleeved stomach (VSG) with a partial intestinal bypass. It tends to produce the greatest amount of weight loss and an easier maintenance (because of the malabsorption). But Vitamin deficient risk is also the greatest with it, so you have to be really religious about taking your supplements.

since a DS involved a sleeved stomach, yes, there would be a greater risk of reflux with that than with an RNY. An RNY often improves - if not cures - reflux, whereas there's a risk of reflux with a sleeved stomach (note I said risk - not everyone who has a sleeved stomach develops reflux).

btw - there's also a malabsorption component with the RNY, but it's not as great as with the DS. Not as much of the intestine is bypassed with the RNY.

I'm finding very little details of the true DS in Australia...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mikeyy said:

I'm finding very little details of the true DS in Australia...

it's not done all that much in the US, either. I think I read only about 10% of weight loss surgeries in the US are DS (it may even be lower than that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude. Are you having surgery tomorrow?

LOL. Relax. Chill.

Quit typing in all caps and yellin' for help. LOL. There aren't a whole lot of DS peeps on this board. There are a few...but flooding the boards won't get 'em to you any quicker. You're better served using the Search Function on the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude. Are you having surgery tomorrow?
LOL. Relax. Chill.
Quit typing in all caps and yellin' for help. LOL. There aren't a whole lot of DS peeps on this board. There are a few...but flooding the boards won't get 'em to you any quicker. You're better served using the Search Function on the site.
And also it helps if you don't post the same question in multiple forums dude. The peeps who are willing to answer you patiently will see your question and answer it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also Google your questions and it will bring up stuff from this site and another big site called Obesity Help. They have more DSers over there I think? It's not a commonly performed procedure. The analogy to this is that it's like bringing a Howitzer to a knife fight. As a first line surgery...

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course it is. And so you should. We all did our homework. It's expected. Just no more frantic "HELLLLLLPPPPSSSSS", cuz it just alienates peeps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry sorry I get anxiety I've been going through pages and pages trying to find specific info but haven't found my bad....
That's okay, we've all been there with the pre-surgery anxiety!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mikeyy

It's a big decision and a lifelong commitment. You're right. You definitely want to do your research because you want to "think twice and cut once".

BPD/DS, DS = Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch also known as Traditional Duodenal Switch or duodenal switch.

BPD = Biliopancreatic diversion. Not DS.

MGB= Mini Gastric Bypass. Not DS

RNY = Gastric Bypass. Not DS.

SIPS, SADI = single anastomosis duodenal switch. Not DS.

Have you been to dsfacts? It has tons of information on what's what concerning the DS.

Edited by Postop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Postop said:

@Mikeyy

It's a big decision and a lifelong commitment. You're right. You definitely want to do your research because you want to "think twice and cut once".

BPD/DS, DS = Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch also known as Traditional Duodenal Switch or duodenal switch.

BPD = Biliopancreatic diversion. Not DS.

MGB= Mini Gastric Bypass. Not DS

RNY = Gastric Bypass. Not DS.

SIPS, SADI = single anastomosis duodenal switch. Not DS.

Have you been to dsfacts? It has tons of information on what's what concerning the DS.

I'm so confused...

I've been looking so much into the RNY but then I've heard about DS being even better for weight loss and the only thing I could find on a local doctor website was medlineplus.gov/ency/imagepages/19499.htm

I'll have to ask if it is with DS or not or just regular BPD? What do you know about regular BPD? Tnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

I'm so confused...

I've been looking so much into the RNY but then I've heard about DS being even better for weight loss and the only thing I could find on a local doctor website was medlineplus.gov/ency/imagepages/19499.htm

I'll have to ask if it is with DS or not or just regular BPD? What do you know about regular BPD? Tnx

I don't know the answer to your last question, but just so you know, not many bariatric surgeons perform the DS, and it's not a common surgery, so that's probably why you're not finding much. Check out that dsfacts site that an above poster mentioned - I was on that site once and found it very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MikeyyI know it can be confusing. You don't want the BPD alone. Bad side effects. You want the BPD/DS if you want the traditional DS (with 2 anastomoses). Or you can talk to your doctor about the SIPS/SADI/Single anastomosis procedure. It's a less radical type of DS.

Have you spoken to Prof. Nottle in Melbourne? I know he does the traditional DS.

And definitely go to dsfacts.com. It'll answer some of your questions, I think

Also, if you ever wanted to have it done in California, 2 of the best DS surgeons are there..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • BoredCW

      Still stalled. Hating every week of it. 
      I'm in that "I must be doing something wrong, I won't lose any more weight" mode of thinking.
      Hating everything about myself dull drums. If it wasn't for the stress of work, i'd probably be more upset.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Yesterday I discovered stretchy pants. It was the first time that I walked into a normal store and dared to try on clothes in over many many years. Scary, but I found some guy chinos that I liked. I was even able to wear women's sizes even though the legs were wayyyyy too short.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • CrowLuv

      Down 31 pounds in my first month! OK, so a month and two days, but I'm counting it anyway. 😆
      At this point, I'm doing well overall. According to surgeons' instructions, I'm on soft foods for another week-ish. I'm so ready for solids - the soft foods can be such "sliders" and I have to be extra, extra careful.
      For example, my refried beans + dollop of plain Greek yogurt + tomatillo salsa verde became a problem. I never felt satisfied and felt I could have easily had a much bigger serving. Then, far worse was when I made homemade hummus - holy cow it is SO GOOD, but again - felt like I could have downed a quart, no problem. 😂
      It's (for me at least) extremely challenging to "eat mindfully" when the food is that soft. I mean for crying out loud, there's nothing to "chew on"! 😂
      So, couple of days ago - I committed to no more refried beans and no more hummus. Farewell my delicious friends. Going to focus on chicken and tuna and eggs for the time being (ground up til mushy, of course). 
      I'm hoping that once I get the go-ahead to introduce solids I will be able to feel the restriction. Because honestly? I'm only a month in, and I feel NO restriction. It's frustrating, but not the end of the world. Willpower was never my problem. But I'm so looking forward to that feeling I hear a lot on here when people say "Oh I ate half an egg and was SO STUFFED." This has....not been my experience. 😕
      Really hoping that's because my foods are so mushy/soft right now. We shall see. 
      Regardless, I'm 100 percent committed. I hear over and over how this tool is the most powerful for about a year, maybe/possibly a wee bit more. I will not sabotage that for the world. 
      So - doing my happy dance at 31 pounds down - I'm in a "weight decade" I haven't seen in a very long time. And it only gets better from here! 
      · 3 replies
      1. Bastian

        Fantastic! Well done on the beans and hummus restriction, :D :141_dancer:

      2. ms.sss

        Excellent attitude! I foresee great success in your future :)

      3. CrowLuv

        Thanks y'all, I really appreciate the encouragement! :)

    • veisor  »  Panda333

      Hi!
      Thank you for replying.   It means the world to me.  It also confirmed what I been feeling about which procedure to choose.   I fall into the category as you do and elected the sleeve as it seemed to be less invasive and recovery would be better and faster,  however I am so afraid to regain the weight back since I rarely eat and obesity runs in my family.   I have two siblings that had the bypass and they have been successful.  My sister was in the high 400's and is about 140 now and has been for several years since her procedure.  I guess I felt that the sleeve would allow me to have more control, however I realized that I can't control my genetics and that is one of the biggest reasons that I am here.  Yes, I have not always made the best choices but trust me when I say that I have been on the loss and regain + more rollercoaster weight ride for yrs! I have spent so much money as I am sure you have as well as many others who are going through this.  It is not easy and anyone who thinks this is a copout is crazy!!! This has been harder than anything I have done including hiring a personal trainer to kick my butt in the gym! And still with all the gym hours, clean eating "not to mention the clean eating cost" I knew it was time that I moved to the next step to finally be who I know in my head and heart cause when I see myself in the mirror,  well let's just say is not the girl I see in my mind. 
      So thanks again for your reply and I hope that we can keep in touch through our journey. 
      😊
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×