Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bypass Buddies

On 04/01/2019 at 21:59, Bonines said:

I’m having issues with all my shakes. I can’t deal with the sweet flavors anymore. The only thing I’m enjoying right now is broth or Water. The shakes and even the crystal light make me so nauseous now ughhh! Didn’t think trying to get liquids in would be so hard even though I know this diet would be difficult haha

I haven’t had a hard time getting my shakes in but I feel like I’m so hungry. And I’m already dealing with temptations. My coworker had a birthday so of course cupcakes were brought in. And of course they were placed where the whole office could have easy access to them, right by my desk. So I got to stare at them for a few hours before I couldn’t take it anymore and I moved them. I could just imagine myself licking the icing off. What’s interesting is that I wasn’t afraid it would make me sick. I was afraid that it wouldn’t make me sick and that I would realize what I can get away with eating still...does that make sense?

7 minutes ago, Asbrin said:
29 minutes ago, Bonines said:

I’m having issues with all my shakes. I can’t deal with the sweet flavors anymore. The only thing I’m enjoying right now is broth or Water. The shakes and even the crystal light make me so nauseous now ughhh! Didn’t think trying to get liquids in would be so hard even though I know this diet would be difficult haha

I haven’t had a hard time getting my shakes in but I feel like I’m so hungry. And I’m already dealing with temptations. My coworker had a birthday so of course cupcakes were brought in. And of course they were placed where the whole office could have easy access to them, right by my desk. So I got to stare at them for a few hours before I couldn’t take it anymore and I moved them. I could just imagine myself licking the icing off. What’s interesting is that I wasn’t afraid it would make me sick. I was afraid that it wouldn’t make me sick and that I would realize what I can get away with eating still...does that make sense?

Yeah that totally makes sense and absolutely justified why you’d be afraid! I feel like through this time we’ll experience all these tests to see how far we can be pushed to our limit. My niece wanted fries the other day and my fam and I went to get and then they all got food and the entire car smelled of fried chicken and I was thinking well if I chew a piece of chicken and spit it out then that won’t hurt right? I didn’t do it but I was close to. Like you said, there’s a fear you can get away with it then if you do then it can become a habit. We gotta be strong but my doctor reminded me 2 days ago that the first 6 weeks are the toughest. We just have to remember the payoff at the end!

Also cupcakes and cakes were my biggest weakness! I think cupcakes became my comfort food and I used it as my unwinding from a hard week at work treat which clearly wasn’t helping me at all. So great job resisting and getting the cupcakes out of your sight. Must have been terrrrrrible seeing that in your face all day!

On 04/01/2019 at 19:59, Bonines said:

I had huge issues with my shakes making me feel awful too but I was choking them down because I wanted to get all my Protein in. I started diluting them with Water which helped but didn’t fix it! Finally I couldn’t do it anymore and I called my surgeon and he said that this early on in the process, it’s more important to get your fluids in than it is protein. And if the protein is making me sick, it’ll make drinking water so much harder since I’m not feeling well. So he slowed me to stop the shakes and told me to focus on my fluids instead. Obviously every surgeon is different but I hope that helps!

1 minute ago, jazzyj13 said:

I had huge issues with my shakes making me feel awful too but I was choking them down because I wanted to get all my Protein in. I started diluting them with Water which helped but didn’t fix it! Finally I couldn’t do it anymore and I called my surgeon and he said that this early on in the process, it’s more important to get your fluids in than it is Protein. And if the protein is making me sick, it’ll make drinking Water so much harder since I’m not feeling well. So he slowed me to stop the shakes and told me to focus on my fluids instead. Obviously every surgeon is different but I hope that helps!

This is super helpful! Thank you so much! I think I’ll try your suggestion of diluting the shakes more. My doctor is out of the country this week so I don’t even know if he’ll get back to me soon if I ask.

I was trying soooo many different flavors to keep it interesting but they all taste the same and have that weird whey taste. I’ve been using Unjury. I was told Premier Protein is way better so I might try that out and see if it helps and may check out Isopure also. Anything else will be better that this point lol

What protein have you been using?

On 04/01/2019 at 20:45, Bonines said:

This is super helpful! Thank you so much! I think I’ll try your suggestion of diluting the shakes more. My doctor is out of the country this week so I don’t even know if he’ll get back to me soon if I ask.

I was trying soooo many different flavors to keep it interesting but they all taste the same and have that weird whey taste. I’ve been using Unjury. I was told Premier Protein is way better so I might try that out and see if it helps and may check out Isopure also. Anything else will be better that this point lol

What Protein have you been using?

I’ve been using the premier and they just feel so heavy for me! Obviously everyone is different so you might have great luck with it! You can buy 18 packs at costco but I would definitely recommend like a 4 pack to start just in case you hate them lol

Past two days I've hit 62 grams of Protein myself. Two shakes made with a local store's Protein Powder (half scoop in each with a half cup of milk), half a Greek Yogurt, and one of the BariatricPal Soup mixes. I can't wait till Thursday because I move on to purees and can add a bit more variety.

I'm very much looking forward to hummus, and this buffalo chicken puree thing that I'm eyeing.

7 hours ago, Ellf said:

Past two days I've hit 62 grams of Protein myself. Two shakes made with a local store's Protein Powder (half scoop in each with a half cup of milk), half a Greek Yogurt, and one of the BariatricPal Soup mixes. I can't wait till Thursday because I move on to purees and can add a bit more variety.

I'm very much looking forward to hummus, and this buffalo chicken puree thing that I'm eyeing.

Omg literally the 2 exact things I’ve been dying to try! Especially the buffalo chicken purée! I already decided that will be one of my first puree meals haha

8 hours ago, jazzyj13 said:

I’ve been using the premier and they just feel so heavy for me! Obviously everyone is different so you might have great luck with it! You can buy 18 packs at costco but I would definitely recommend like a 4 pack to start just in case you hate them lol

Thanks! I’ll take your advice and do the 4 pack first haha. They have a wide range of flavors so that’s what kind of got me excited because I’m so done with the vanilla and chocolate and strawberry life lol. I’ll let you know what I think when I try it!

What I find so interesting in being on this board is how different everyone's post op diet is - like I had my surgery on 3/18. I was given Clear Liquids that first day. I went home from the hospital on 3/19 after I had eaten some blended food (yogurt). I was on the blended texture diet for 2 weeks and this last Monday, switched to soft food. I didn't have a liquid diet phase - went to pureed right away. It seems the more I read, the more varieties I find. My program is pureed for 2 weeks with RNY and 4 weeks with sleeve and then to soft food for 2 months and then to regular textures. It just seems strange that it isn't more consistent.

Same here! My surgery was on the 12. I was on liquids the first day, then purées for 2 weeks and now I’m on soft foods as of last Monday

My surgery was on the 19th. I was on a full liquid diet for two weeks. Today I started eating solid Proteins for 4 weeks. I can’t eat fruits, vegetables or nuts. My program doesn’t do purées at all.

2 hours ago, jazzyj13 said:

Same here! My surgery was on the 12. I was on liquids the first day, then purées for 2 weeks and now I’m on soft foods as of last Monday

How are soft foods going? I have to meet with my dietitian next week and am looking forward to it because I want more definition of what actually equals a soft food :-).

1 hour ago, losingtolivewithjen said:

My surgery was on the 19th. I was on a full liquid diet for two weeks. Today I started eating solid Proteins for 4 weeks. I can’t eat fruits, vegetables or nuts. My program doesn’t do purées at all.

How was the transition, ok?

My transition was good. Currently on purée. Soft starting on Friday. No problems at all. Tough though trying to get all the Water