Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STRUGGLING with liquid diet

Hey all,

I was sleeved on 1/28/19, and I will begin the soft food phase next Wednesday, 2/13/19. I’m a week into the liquid phase and it is frustrating me to no end. I am getting my fluids and Protein in just fine, I meet/exceed my goal every day. I still feel so WEAK! It’s not even that I’m hungry, or even actually craving any crazy binge-food, I’m just so effing tired of not eating anything. I’m tired of Water and crystal light, I get nauseous when I think about my next Protein Shake, and I am sick of broth. I don’t even want unhealthy foods, I just want a couple bites of salmon! Or a salad!

I also am not at the point where I can go back to the gym and do cardio and yoga again (pre op I was exercising to the point of sweating 6 days a week) and that is driving me crazy too. I’m getting really frustrated and borderline depressed and I just want to feel good and energized again. The things that I would normally do for timely gratification are all gone, food (obviously unhealthy), exercise, and taking a bath/soaking in the jacuzzi at the gym are all not allowed right now. I know I’m only a week+ away from the soft food diet and hopefully from being able to soak, but it feels like an eternity. I’m hoping that some of you guys can share your experiences and how you got through. Thanks!

Hey all,
I was sleeved on 1/28/19, and I will begin the soft food phase next Wednesday, 2/13/19. I’m a week into the liquid phase and it is frustrating me to no end. I am getting my fluids and Protein in just fine, I meet/exceed my goal every day. I still feel so WEAK! It’s not even that I’m hungry, or even actually craving any crazy binge-food, I’m just so effing tired of not eating anything. I’m tired of Water and crystal light, I get nauseous when I think about my next Protein Shake, and I am sick of broth. I don’t even want unhealthy foods, I just want a couple bites of salmon! Or a salad!
I also am not at the point where I can go back to the gym and do cardio and yoga again (pre op I was exercising to the point of sweating 6 days a week) and that is driving me crazy too. I’m getting really frustrated and borderline depressed and I just want to feel good and energized again. The things that I would normally do for timely gratification are all gone, food (obviously unhealthy), exercise, and taking a bath/soaking in the jacuzzi at the gym are all not allowed right now. I know I’m only a week+ away from the soft food diet and hopefully from being able to soak, but it feels like an eternity. I’m hoping that some of you guys can share your experiences and how you got through. Thanks!
Hi!

When I had my surgery, I went through a lot of the same things you are talking about. Just remember that this is a process... a journey. One day, one step, at a time. Are you taking your Vitamins like you should? You may need more Vitamin B12 and d3. B12 will give you more energy and d3 will help with the depression. Also, you may be slightly anemic and need more Iron. All of these can cause the symptoms you talked about.

Once you get the vitamins you need, along with remembering to keep focusing on your goal, and maintaining your convictions... you will be ok and be ready to go on with the next phase just fine.

Remember, too, this was a major surgery. Your body needs time to heal. Give it the time it needs. If you're tired, rest. sleep is the best way to heal.

Hope this all helps. I'm here if you want talk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks a lot for the support. I’m taking my Multivitamin but perhaps I need more than that can provide... I’ll talk to my nutritionist about it. I know that I’m okay and it’s all going to be okay I just feel stuck in a rut.

I am on day 15 of my 21 day liquid stage (my doc requires 21 long days). I am experiencing the same ups and downs. The weakness and Protein Shakes are the worst. I have been dreaming about salad too. I have been making the broth spicy and it helps a bit. You are not alone and can do it!!!

Listen, I know how it is feeling stuck in a rut! I had a very hard time with the liquid diet too. I ate a lot (I mean A LOT) of Jello. I made all kinds. All different flavors, all different ways, and I ate that constantly. I hate broth. I chose to eat that instead and popsicles, and the shakes.

When I was able to add soft food, I ate a lot of baby food. Even when I was able to add some more solids. It was easier than pureeing it myself, and most of it wasn't that bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

What about trying yoghurt, jelly and custard?

4 hours ago, Phoebes04 said:

What about trying yoghurt, jelly and custard?

i would consider yoghurt and custard more puree or soft food unless 'watered' down to be more of a liquid consistency. Jelly wasn't on my liquid list that I can recall, but as a large number of people post op seem to be using on their liquid stage I assume it must be on a number of other post op guidelines.

Thin Yogurt, jelly and custard were allowed on my liquid diet.

If I never see another Protein Shake in my life it will be too soon. Was so happy to be able to stop drinking them

It seems as though my liquid diet is a little more stringent than that, however my soft food diet allows much more food than just the consistency of baby food. I’m definitely looking forward to a nice piece of (fork mashed -_-) fish when I can.

Thanks for all of your advice, I’m just taking it one day at a time at this point.

I had my surgery on 11/12/18 and I try to drink but it feels me up to where I don't want to eat