Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Visiting from the RNY Side

Howdy! I'm visiting from the pre-op RNY side of the forum. The more I read about the DS surgery, the more appealing it sounds vs. RNY. It was never offered as an option at my surgeon's office when I had my first consult, but it's mentioned on their website so I know one of the 2 surgeons there must perform it. I like the idea of preserving the Pylorus valve and removing the majority of the stomach area that creates Ghrelin (hunger hormone) PLUS bypassing part of the intestines. I'll be reading heavily in this forum from now on to learn more, but if anyone has some words of advice, encouragement or warning that you feel should be known, please send it my way! Thanks! :783_heart_decoration:

There are two types of DS surgery. The SADI loop DS and the traditional DS. The Loop DS is less invasive and weight loss is still high. Very long term studies are not as extensive yet. But the current data for exisiting patients seems to be quite impressive. I chose the Loop DS because the malabsorption was less than the traditional DS. My only fear is that it may not be enought to limit weight regain in the long term. We will see. But the weight loss with the DS seems to be more successful than any other surgery. Hope this helps you. Here is a good article to read that I found to be informative. Hope this helps you.

http://bariatrictimes.com/exploring-the-role-of-single-anastomosis-bariatric-surgery/

17 minutes ago, James B said:

There are two types of DS surgery. The SADI loop DS and the traditional DS. The Loop DS is less invasive and weight loss is still high. Very long term studies are not as extensive yet. But the current data for exisiting patients seems to be quite impressive. I chose the Loop DS because the malabsorption was less than the traditional DS. My only fear is that it may not be enought to limit weight regain in the long term. We will see. But the weight loss with the DS seems to be more successful than any other surgery. Hope this helps you. Here is a good article to read that I found to be informative. Hope this helps you.

http://bariatrictimes.com/exploring-the-role-of-single-anastomosis-bariatric-surgery/

Yes! I was reading just that about an hour ago. It seems like with traditional DS, there's a very big problem with chronic, chaotic diarrhea which doesn't sound like my idea of a fun time. If I worked from home or something, then I could probably manage, but I work in a very small quiet office with centrally located bathrooms and thin walls. I just couldn't torture my peeps (or my butt) all day like that LOL My surgeon coordinator is out on vacation so there's really no one for me to talk to over there until she gets back...just waiting. Honestly the diarrhea thing is almost a deal breaker. Thanks for being so helpful!

I have not had any problem with diarrhea. However, my stool color, texture, etc is very different. Probably because of malabsorption due to a smaller digestive tract. From the other side of the GI tract, I have had issues with nausea with certain foods. Just overeating a little, even one extra bite, feels like my esophagus is about to explode. Its a terrible feeling when that happens but its a learning curve. The main thing is I am losing and it is what I needed after an unsuccessful GS.

1 minute ago, James B said:

I have not had any problem with diarrhea. However, my stool color, texture, etc is very different. Probably because of malabsorption due to a smaller digestive tract. From the other side of the GI tract, I have had issues with nausea with certain foods. Just overeating a little, even one extra bite, feels like my esophagus is about to explode. Its a terrible feeling when that happens but its a learning curve. The main thing is I am losing and it is what I needed after an unsuccessful GS.

That's awesome! I'm sure you'll do great with the new surgery. I hear from the sleeved side of the fence that reflux is pretty terrible (or can be). Have you experienced any of that?

27 minutes ago, 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺 said:

That's awesome! I'm sure you'll do great with the new surgery. I hear from the sleeved side of the fence that reflux is pretty terrible (or can be). Have you experienced any of that?

I take 40mg of Omeprazole and have been taking it long before my surgery for GERD. I will eventually stop it as per my doctor. However, if it comes back then I will go back to it. I also take a probiotic to help with that stuff. I read on a bariatric site that Probiotics may enhance weight loss for bariatric patients. The bottom line is we have to try to eat the right foods that minimize reflux and it should be fine.

6 minutes ago, James B said:

I take 40mg of Omeprazole and have been taking it long before my surgery for GERD. I will eventually stop it as per my doctor. However, if it comes back then I will go back to it. I also take a probiotic to help with that stuff. I read on a bariatric site that Probiotics may enhance weight loss for bariatric patients. The bottom line is we have to try to eat the right foods that minimize reflux and it should be fine.

Totally makes sense :)

I'm almost 14 years out from the traditional DS and don't have chronic diarrhea. I'll get diarrhea if I eat too much junk and/or sometimes from antibiotics. A round of Flagyl is helpful for that. You learn what to eat when to forestall problems. For instance, I'll eat ice cream but I'll do it at home. But what I love about the DS is I eat every hour or so. Salami, McDonald's, nuts, cheese, etc., Just tons of Protein.

Reflux can be an issue with the sleeve. Talk with your surgeon.

Edited by Postop

10 minutes ago, Postop said:

I'm almost 14 years out from the traditional DS and don't have chronic diarrhea. I'll get diarrhea if I eat too much junk and/or sometimes from antibiotics. A round of Flagyl is helpful for that. You learn what to eat when to forestall problems. For instance, I'll eat ice cream but I'll do it at home. But what I love about the DS is I eat every hour or so. Salami, McDonald's, nuts, cheese, etc., Just tons of Protein.

Reflux can be an issue with the sleeve. Talk with your surgeon.

Interesting! That reduces my "yikes" level a little bit :P Your stats are very similar to mine. How long did it take you to get to your target weight? It clearly looks like you're doing well keeping it off! That's great!

I was just looking back at my weight chart I kept & found it. It took 8 months till I got to the 150s. (I never had a target weight). I kept losing and got to the 120s at 16 months.

I also suggest you look at the Ayoola practice in Denton if you're considering the DS. He does the full DS and has been doing it for a long time.

I'm sending you a PM as well.

Edited by Postop

From what I've read there's not much of a difference between both RNY and the loop except the loop can cause bile reflux they both restrict hunger and they both bypass some intestines.

I had the traditional DS a year and a half ago, and I don't have chronic diarrhea. Anyone who eats with me would never know I had weight loss surgery. Because of the malabsorption component of my surgery, it helps me maintain my weight. I don't have any regrets except I wish I had asked for my common channel to be shorter. Mine is 1.5 times longer than the average DS patient, and I think it made my weight loss slower. My surgeon felt this was a good length for me because I started out with a lower BMI than the average DS patient. Turns out, the body knows where it wants to level out (maintain) on its own.

Edited by Strivingforbetter