Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here! Revision patient!

Hi everyone!
I was originally sleeved in March of 2016. I had an annoying burping thing pretty much from the beginning, but I lost about 90lbs in 6 months...and have held pretty steady since. Then the extreme reflux started! Fast forward to yesterday....I spoke with my surgeon and it has been decided that I need to be revised to an rny. Definitely not happy about it, but I’ve been taking 3 nexium a day and still having reflux and regurgitation. The newest issue appears to be an ulcer. This is really the last thing I wanted to do, but I’m very worried about the damage that’s being done to my esophagus. I have developed a raspy voice and scratchy throat, so I know it’s becoming a problem.

It looks like I’ll have surgery either in March or April....I’ll probably know in a week or so. Anyone else here a revision from VSG to RNY??

I had a sleeve to bypass revision last October for reflux. I didn't want it either, but by 10 every morning my voice was hoarse and anything acidic or spicy burned all the way down my throat. I would wake up at night with acid in the back of my nose. I was taking the max dose of Prilosec 2x/day plus Tums as needed. My throat is nearly healed now. The main issue I'm having now is that I don't feel any restriction with the bypass. I had very tight restriction with my sleeve and I depended on it. Now I have to be much more conscious of portion sizes because my stomach won't say "No Mas!"

Are you in maintenance or are you still losing weight?

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

I am no longer losing weight....so I guess maintenance. That’s super disappointing to hear! I was really hoping there would be restriction with the new surgery. I’d definitely like to lose more weight. My surgeon told me I’d probably lose somewhere between 15-50lbs. I’m hoping I can squeeze more out of it than that.

Good Luck on your Journey!

23 minutes ago, amschuttpelz said:

I am no longer losing weight....so I guess maintenance. That’s super disappointing to hear! I was really hoping there would be restriction with the new surgery. I’d definitely like to lose more weight. My surgeon told me I’d probably lose somewhere between 15-50lbs. I’m hoping I can squeeze more out of it than that.

You should still be able to lose weight. I mean, after all, they do revisions from sleeve to bypass when people haven't lost enough, too. But I wanted you to be aware. Better to be able to discuss this with your surgeon ahead of time. I didn't know until after and I went into a total panic over it.

Hi everyone! I’m scheduled for a revision on 2/19 for the RNY. I was originally sleeved 11/2014 and currently have awful acid reflux.

I was originally sleeved in August of 2014 and will be having RNY on 3/11. (Pending insurance approval, of course) My surgeon assures me that with my reflux issues and sleeve dysfunction that I will get the approval that is why he gave me the date already.

Best of luck to you and I'd love to keep checking in with each other as we go through the journey!

Claricey

Going from sleeve to bypass this Thursday!

Please do, we cheer when things finally turn to the good for people on here!😝

I’m feeling the same way and doing it for the same reasons. But trying to stay positive and get as prepared as I can.

Well....saw the surgeon yesterday. Was hoping for a surgery date so I can plan, but sadly it’s still up in the air. Maybe March, maybe April. It’s kind of making me crazy. I’m definitely not in a hurry, I am just a planner and need to know things. I did find out that I can’t use the Tespo like I had hoped. Taking pills sucks so I was hoping for an easier alternative. Not so much. So I went onto Bariatric Advantage and ordered some stuff to try. Any recommendations for great bariatric products?