Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How sore can I expect to be post op?

I am 10 days post op. I have had no nausea . The only pain I get is backache which is probably from sleeping differently to usual.

I don't have issues drinking, it seems to be fairly easy to get the recommended amounts in per day. We are currently in the middle of a heatwave with temps of around 44C so I am drinking more than would normally be recommended.

The things I am struggling with are general tiredness and weakness. I can't seem to shake that but I did end up having 2 GAs in 1 day and getting 4 units of blood so those are probably major contributory factors

I greatly underestimated the pain and nausea I felt for the first few days after surgery. I have a high tolerance for pain but this was really brutal. I had to have a lot of nausea medication as well but never actually threw up

I didn't experience any nausea but the pain was pretty high for the first two days. It got a lot easier after that. I think I was off all pain medicine by 6-7 days post op. There are so many factors but I would be prepared for a lot of pain. That way you might be pleasantly surprised if it's not as bad as you expected!

I'm relatively healthy... Exercise a lot... I'm pretty sure they'll do my surgery lapaoscopacally .... I'm just wondering how bad the pain is for a gastric bypass? Will there be a lot of nausea?
Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using BariatricPal mobile app

It wasn't bad for me but everyone is different. I did better the more I walked around. I only needed my pain meds for a few days after surgery. No nausea at all. Hopefully you will do well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 3 1/2 months post op RNY and have had absolutely no pain or nausea. I did have nerve blocks in both sides of my abd preop and they gave me pain meds in the hospital even though I told them I had no pain. I went home less than 24 hrs post op and never took any pain meds at all.

I am 3 days post op.

I had surgery Tuesday
Home from hospital Wednesday.
Tylenol only yesterday.
Nothing today.

An hour after I got to my room after surgery, I told my hubby that we have to walk, so every hour on the hour, I did a lap in the hallway and then would do the incentive spirometer.

Make sure to sip. I gulped once and learned that lesson fast.

I'm 6 days out now and I have found the pain manageable. Even in hospital, I was initially doing ok with minimal pain meds until I got the hiccups. Then I needed some help and did a few doses of morphine. They sent me home with an RX for tramacet, but I used less than half. The only nausea I experienced was mild, the first couple of trips to the bathroom on the first evening post op. No vomiting at all so far (knock on wood).

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi. I am on POD # 3 (surgery 5/20). I had a decent amount of nausea especially when I went to the bathroom or walked. I had pain about 6/10 for the first post-op day. They gave me IV pain meds and nausea meds. I also slept the entire post op day # 1 except to do my walks. i have taken about one pain pill at bedtime.the nausea is much better as well.

I had more back pain when I woke up from surgery than anything else. This only lasted one day. And internal pain was pretty intense for the first day, but the pain meds helped eliminate that pretty quickly. I just felt kind of off and low energy for the first few days, the pain was not bad at all for me.

my only pain or discomfort was from the drain.

at this point im almost 2 months out and i still feel like ive been doin sit ups from time to time. but im quite sure thats cuz i sit on my ass all day at work.

Don't worry , you are on the path to become. WowI'm A thingy , just a matter of time! Congratulations and happy wishes for the Future👸❤😝