Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone around 380#?

Hi.. I'm 22 years old and weigh 384 pounds. I *should* have my insurance approval this week sometime and I just wonder if and where people around or above my weight are at after the surgery

I know all people are different when loosing but I'm just curious. I know many who are my weight and plus choose stapling but my doctor actually recommended the band.

thanks in advance

I wasnt 380, but I was 334. I am older than you, so weight loss is usually slower as you get up in the upper 30's and 40's. I lost 120 pounds my first year with the band and I am still losing. If you want to talk with bandsters that started out at higher BMI's, I recommend you go to extraordinarybandsters@yahoogroups.com. All of these bandsters started with a BMI of 50 or higher like myself. I have a friend Kiimberly who started at 384. She now weighs 220 at 5' 10" , lost 165 pounds in 10 months and is moving closer to goal. So it can be done. Please email me privately if you have more questions.

Babs in TX

334/185/170

6/23/03

Hi Katerzz,

I was 340 when I decided on banding. You are definitely not alone--there are lots of people around who started out way heavier than you.

Perhaps your age is why your doctor recommended banding over bypass. I completely agree with the recommendation!! You're so young and have so much life ahead of you--you don't need some dramatic alteration to the way your body works that will create issues for you the rest of your life. Better to have an adjustable tool implanted that will help YOU gain control over food, and live your life as a smaller person with normal bodily functions.

Please feel free to ask whatever questions arise. Your size is not an obstacle and I'm sure your doctor knows what he's talking about!

I think you have a smart doctor! I can't imagine having my insides completely realtered with no control on what is happening to me. Some say they do the stapling because either their insurance will pay for it (and not the lapband) or because they lose faster, but that's only at first. In the long run, I think you're much better off with the band!

I would definately recommend the extraordinarybandster group on yahoo. My husband is a member of that group. He weighed 600 pounds when he had his band installed, with a BMI of something like 86.

My highest pre-band was 368 and my doctor, too, recommended the band for me. I am 34 and was able to bounce back pretty fast from the surgery. More "whiney pain" than real (didn't help that I had my mom with me!). But at your age, you have the benefit of not only bouncing back from the surgery but having that great young skin with a little elasticity left in it that you may have less problems with saggy skin and such than us "elders".

In the end, just make sure you are happy in the choice you make and think positive. You will be amazed how quickly your body and mind will take to the weight loss. I can tell you that after years of gaining weight, I already started to feel like a new person after my 20 pounds loss.

Good luck to you and this is a great place to find support both before and after the procedure.

Hello,

I weighed in at 362 when I got my band and 8 months out I've lost 82 lbs. I've been very happy with the procedure for the most part. Best wishes to you, Teresa

I weighed 365 at my surgery date. I have never regreted having this wonderful surgery done. God has given me a new lease on life. Although I had no health problems before, I knew I was headed towards them head on light a car going downhill without any brakes! As the others have suggested, the yahoo group extraordinary bandsters is wonderful and so very informative. They are great to answer lots of questions and ease many anxieties I have had in the past. Good luck and YOU GO GIRL!

I was 350 when I decided to get my band I am 23 and 4 months out I'm around 22lbs down...doesnt seem like much compared to some but i'm thrilled to get rid of anything cause i feel better every pound I lose! My mom had the bypass and wishes she had done the banding, it's so much more permanant, there's not a 'window of opportunity' and then that's it...I chose the band because I want to have children some day and the band will let me do that more safely than the bypass....there are pros and cons to each, you just have to decide which is best for you....good luck and let us know what you decide!! :cool: :) :)

much love,

Katie

I was 390 pounds & my friend Fiona was 429.. to date i've lost 167 & Fiona's lost 203 pounds.

With hard work & commitment.. you'll get there !!!!

Aud x