Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for an Event

This is a question for all planners out there: How do you plan for an event or two? I am currently enrolled in Ballroom Dance Classes and i took off the 6 weeks due to surgery. There are two competitions that i actually signed up for.. a local one here in Florida that is just with the 3 local studios ( Feb 23rd) and one in September that is much larger, nationwide held in Miami. My dilemma: how in the world do i plan and determine what my weight may be in order to get the dresses i need. The dress for Feb, i can get something nice from Ross that has glitter or what not and with Valentines day and Prom coming up, dresses are starting to be on the racks but then if i wait till last minute i may not find what i need.. My biggest worry is the Sept 2019 competition. I know its far away, but i have to put my order in for my ballroom dress ( 2 of them.. a smooth and a rhythm).. I have to send measurements to the seamstress by mid july to give her time to make my custom dresses.. How do i forecast what my measurements and weight will be by the 20th of Sept. That is roughly 6 weeks from giving her a size to me using the dress. I know i will lose weight and inches over the 6 weeks, but how do you gauge how much? These dresses are not cheap, some run into thousands. Mine will run about 700-800 for each dress, They dont sell them in stores as far as i know ( I am new to the ballroom world) and i cant just walk in the weekend before a competition and pick out a dress to wear .... I am really trying to plan ahead and figure out what i need to do in order to not have a dress that is too big or too small when the time comes.

Thanks for any input in advance.. Truly appreciated!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you should guess the best you can and then find a good alterations person that can get something done for you the week prior. I really have no experience with this, but I do know that weight and inches come off differently, and for me, inches in my stomach area came off slower than my hips and bust. It really will be a guessing game, sorry.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:33 AM, Jazzy1125 said:

This is a question for all planners out there: How do you plan for an event or two? I am currently enrolled in Ballroom Dance Classes and i took off the 6 weeks due to surgery. There are two competitions that i actually signed up for.. a local one here in Florida that is just with the 3 local studios ( Feb 23rd) and one in September that is much larger, nationwide held in Miami. My dilemma: how in the world do i plan and determine what my weight may be in order to get the dresses i need. The dress for Feb, i can get something nice from Ross that has glitter or what not and with Valentines day and Prom coming up, dresses are starting to be on the racks but then if i wait till last minute i may not find what i need.. My biggest worry is the Sept 2019 competition. I know its far away, but i have to put my order in for my ballroom dress ( 2 of them.. a smooth and a rhythm).. I have to send measurements to the seamstress by mid july to give her time to make my custom dresses.. How do i forecast what my measurements and weight will be by the 20th of Sept. That is roughly 6 weeks from giving her a size to me using the dress. I know i will lose weight and inches over the 6 weeks, but how do you gauge how much? These dresses are not cheap, some run into thousands. Mine will run about 700-800 for each dress, They dont sell them in stores as far as i know ( I am new to the ballroom world) and i cant just walk in the weekend before a competition and pick out a dress to wear .... I am really trying to plan ahead and figure out what i need to do in order to not have a dress that is too big or too small when the time comes.

Thanks for any input in advance.. Truly appreciated!

Can you have the dresses made out of a stretchy/spandexy material? I started my weight loss at 280 and am currently 239 and all my dresses still fit me because they are made out of jersey or some other material with give

A wonderful suggestion, let's hope it really helps Jazzy's problem.

Two words ... wrap dresses

I have one that still looks great after losing 100+ lbs.