Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super embarrassing but need advice!

I worked at the hospital for a couple of years nurses and doctors are used to everything. There is nothing that can shock them.😉

Would it really be hazardous for the OP to wear a tampon during the procedure? It's not like it's a long operation and your stomach is nowhere near your vagina.

(Look away if you're easily grossed out...but as you're reading a thread about periods, I'm assuming you're not...) I had my uterus removed whilst I had a mirena coil fitted, and there was no problem with that. I checked with the staff beforehand, so they knew. I would have thought that situation was more potentially hazardous than wearing a tampon whilst having stomach surgery.

They’ll ask you if your don your period when you check in. No worries at all!

Yep it wasn’t an issue :-) thanks everyone!

yes, they know what to ask and how to take care of you, typically they will ask, what time was your last meal, when was your last period, are you allergic to latex etc.

Yep. That’s what happened :-) surgery was a week ago now and no issues with being on the period

I got my period the day before my surgery as well. I am peri menopausal so I cant predict when my period comes these days. But it decided to come after not having had one in 3 months with a BANG , full on cramps and major bleeding. FUN FUN FUN!!!

The coordinator gave me a tampon for the surgery and said it was perfectly fine to wear one. But you must NOT forget that its in there when you wake up, take it out! asap

I had no issues doing that and did not bleed out on the table but then again, we wouldn't know because we are knocked out 🤣

On 1/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, looly said:

Would it really be hazardous for the OP to wear a tampon during the procedure? It's not like it's a long operation and your stomach is nowhere near your vagina.

The concern is TSS, toxic shock syndrome - you don’t know what’s going to happen during surgery or how you’ll recover, so my hospital just removed the variable. If there’s no tampon, there’s no risk of anyone forgetting about it.

It’s a similar thing to when my friend went into a coma and only three weeks in did anyone think to say “...****, are her contacts in her eyes still!?” Really stupid small things can be overlooked, so better to remove the risk entirely if you can.

Edited by sideeye

The concern is TSS, toxic shock syndrome - you don’t know what’s going to happen during surgery or how you’ll recover, so my hospital just removed the variable. If there’s no tampon, there’s no risk of anyone forgetting about it.
It’s a similar thing to when my friend went into a coma and only three weeks in did anyone think to say “...****, are her contacts in her eyes still!?” Really stupid small things can be overlooked, so better to remove the risk entirely if you can.
Well don't leave the story there. Did they leave the contacts in or did they have to remove them? What happened to your friend? Is she OK now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Luckily the contacts weren’t in - but she’d been in a nonresponsive vegetative state for a week before we had that revelation and got her glasses. Hard to tell if she’s focusing on people purposefully if she can’t see a damn thing either way!

Unfortunately she’s not okay, though there is always hope of further improvement. She experienced something called an amniotic Fluid embolism during the birth of her first child, which caused a cascade of other complications including a stroke that resulted in the coma. Freak condition, no warning or prevention, just happens. It is completely unreal that this is happening to her and it’s very hard to process that she’s going to need assistance in some degree for the rest of her life, but she’s in there and we get hints of her occasionally. Communication is still a struggle. Her baby survived and is doing well, and frankly that’s what would matter most to her, so.

Every time I visit her I reassure her no, she hasn’t slept away entire years between visits, I actually am losing weight at a ridiculous clip. (This is fine humor-wise, she’s been one of my closet friends since we were 14.) And then I make her husband leave the room and tell her scurrilous gossip.

Unfortunately she’s not okay,

Oh godh@sideeye I'm really sorry. What a blow. My hubby's friend experienced something similar not long after her marriage and it was heartbreaking. She's in a nursing home because she's not really ever recovered and it's just so hard to believe it could happen to someone so young. You are a true friend!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app