Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprised by this! Thoughts?

I just saw my bariatric surgeon for my 5 week post op visit today. I asked him when I'd be able to eat a larger serving size, and he said:

Plan on eating 2 oz of Protein indefinitely, and up to 1 oz of veggies with it.

Now this surprised me - in my literature from the hospital group (which he's the medical director of), it says to be eating 4-6 oz at this point. He recommends smaller portions but eating more frequently.

Now I don't mind this too much, I'm just surprised. I get down 2 oz easily, and at 2 oz, I never feel that restriction so I never quite feel satisfied. He said if I never eat more than 2 oz, I won't stretch my stomach. "Stretching" the stomach slightly doesn't sound too bad to me if it means there's more room for veggies/nutrients.

What do you all think? I'm just curious!

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Follow your surgeon and don't try to out-think him.

But I love to overthink! 🤪I'm a loner dottie, a rebel!

.....(I'll def follow his instructions). The size just was way smaller than what I expected from reading my guide to the surgery. My food bill is gonna be so cheap lol

I wonder about the frequent small meals v. the larger 3 meals a day thing. I originally worried that the 5-6 mini meal thing would set me on a pattern of grazing, but your surgeon's explanation makes sense, because it will help you maintain your tool longer.

Just now, Swanton_Bomb said:

I wonder about the frequent small meals v. the larger 3 meals a day thing. I originally worried that the 5-6 mini meal thing would set me on a pattern of grazing, but your surgeon's explanation makes sense, because it will help you maintain your tool longer.

It does make a lot of sense. It's also nice because you get to have more variety of food, so you don't get as bored easily, and since you're adding new foods at different times you can tell what food upsets your tummy if you run into an issue. The only negative is if you don't get down enough Water, it's hard to fit it in with all the breaks for mealtime - at 5 weeks out now though, I'm just now getting to the point where I can drink a lot easily.

At 5 weeks 2oz is about right, you are still healing, give it time. Follow what your surgeon says to do.

Eating that small of an amount is crazy if he expects you to do that forever! that small amount you wont even get a good mix of Protein and veggies in. Maybe early out that is recommended however, long term its far from possible. Its been proven that stretching your sleeve will happen overtime naturally regardless. Yes you can prevent it stretching more than it needs to be ensure you consume under 1/2 cup per serving 100-150 grams (3.5-5.5 ounces). The whole idea of this surgery is by the time you reach 2 years out you will have a solid foundation of what to eat and what not to eat or what to eat in moderation.

I will attach a video below it explains about your sleeve stretching no matter what. It also explains that 99% of the time people regain their weight not because the pouch has stretched but because we have learnt how to manipulate the pouch (eating high simple carbs, sugars, processed foods and fats). Our stomachs will NEVER be able to stretch out to be the same size it was before however, overtime natural stretching will occur and you will be able to fit 6-9 ounces of food 3+ years out which in turn will regain weight if you eat poorly.

Create healthy eating patterns and behaviors now that is the only way you'll succeed life-long.

1 hour ago, HarleyS179 said:

Eating that small of an amount is crazy if he expects you to do that forever! that small amount you wont even get a good mix of Protein and veggies in. Maybe early out that is recommended however, long term its far from possible. Its been proven that stretching your sleeve will happen overtime naturally regardless. Yes you can prevent it stretching more than it needs to be ensure you consume under 1/2 cup per serving 100-150 grams (3.5-5.5 ounces).

I'm nearly 11 months post op, and I still have a lot of restriction. My current capacity is 1/2 - 3/4 cup.

5 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I'm nearly 11 months post op, and I still have a lot of restriction. My current capacity is 1/2 - 3/4 cup.

Soo the 1/2 - 3/4 cup size would be around that 3.5-5.5 ounces i would assume ?

Just now, HarleyS179 said:

Soo the 1/2 - 3/4 cup size would be around that 3.5-5.5 ounces i would assume ?

I haven't weighed in a number of months, since I got close to and entered maintenance. But I would say it is on the lower side, definitely closer to 3-4 oz. When I was weighing my meals, they'd usually be in the 2 oz range.

This is a horrible example of the type of food WLS patients should be eating, but someone asked me recently for a visual of what my volumetric capacity is. That is a 1 cup measuring cup.

IMG_0888.thumb.jpg.8f148f3fca403322ff561021e360052b.jpg IMG_0889.thumb.jpg.77608572c6fcc7a4a3fd53d0f466aad8.jpg

12 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I haven't weighed in a number of months, since I got close to and entered maintenance. But I would say it is on the lower side, definitely closer to 3-4 oz. When I was weighing my meals, they'd usually be in the 2 oz range.

This is a horrible example of the type of food WLS patients should be eating, but someone asked me recently for a visual of what my volumetric capacity is. That is a 1 cup measuring cup.

IMG_0888.thumb.jpg.8f148f3fca403322ff561021e360052b.jpg IMG_0889.thumb.jpg.77608572c6fcc7a4a3fd53d0f466aad8.jpg

Yes, even though i measure around 100-150 grams of food I never finish it. The mental struggle sometimes lol. I'm trying to maintain now so trying to work out how i can do that with the limited capacity I have to fit food in.

20 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Furthermore, considering your 11 months PO your portion size of 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup seems to be the normal. I was just looking at a barbaric site and it said.

"Eat small amounts. Your meal portion size will range from ¼ cup to ½ cup of food 3 to 9 months after surgery. After 9 months you may be able to eat ¾ to 1 cup of food at a meal. To keep the weight off, you should eat no more than 1 cup of food at meals. You risk gaining weight and making your stomach larger if you are eating more than this."

Hmmn😋I wonder if Precious Pouch and I will ever make it there? She likes to follow the 2oz at a time plan exclusively.