Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was all set to pursue this - then attended a seminar last night...

I have a question, what does the stomach/lapband look like years from now, I have seen pictures/videos on newly inserted LBs. does scare tissue form over band? any ideas

SC

not yet banded

I have a question, what does the stomach/lapband look like years from now, I have seen pictures/videos on newly inserted LBs. does scare tissue form over band? any ideas

SC

not yet banded

Yes, that's what really holds the band in place long term, scar tissue. It forms around the tubing as well.

This is from Inamed Health site

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94163_04_LB_Product_Data_Sheet.pdf

The manufacturer of the BioEnterics LAPBAND

® Adjustable Gastric Banding System has designed,

tested and manufactured it to be reasonably fit for

its intended use. However, the BioEnterics

LAP-BAND System is not a lifetime

product and it may break or fail, in whole

or in part, at any time after implantation and

notwithstanding the absence of any defect. Causes

of partial or complete failure include, without

limitation, expected or unexpected bodily reactions

to the presence and position of the implanted

device, rare or atypical medical complications,

component failure and normal wear and

tear.

Just makes you think twice.

the band might make you think twice..

but compared to the risks for other gastric bypass procedures....thanks but no thanks...

I will choose the band anyday.

:(:biggrin1:

Oh....in case anyone is wondering...

info displayed on webmd for gastric bypass risks

1.9% of gastric bypass surgery patients died within 30 days after the procedure, which is four times higher than the rate of about 0.5% suggested by smaller previous studies.

Nearly half of all early deaths occurred after the patient came home from the hospital.

The risk of death within 30 days after gastric bypass surgery was nearly five times higher if the surgeon had performed less than 20 of the procedures than if the surgeon had more experience.

Of the cases in which the patient died within 30 days after gastric bypass surgery, 81% were among the surgeons first 19 gastric bypass surgeries.

:omg:

I went to a seminar and the Dr. said that at one point that he would have said "it will last forever". However, now he hesitates to say this because there have been a couple cases recently from those who were banded over 10 years ago in Australia/Europe that have had to have it replaced.

IMO, it is no big deal if you have to have surgery many years down the road. I have to have revision surgery on a port flip bc it came unstitched from my muscle. Things like this just happen, but the good results from the band outweigh potential complications.

My 2 cents... :)

Tara...if you choose to have your banding done by NWWLS I can personally tell you that you have chosen an excellent surgeon and support staff. They did my surgery just over a year ago and I have nothihng but completely positive things to say about all of them.

As far as the 'quote' from the Bioentrics/Inamed site....I would personally read that as a disclaimer. Go to any website that makes a device like the band (artificial heart, fake knee or hip joint) and I'm betting you'll find close to the same statement. They have to put it in the site so that when you recieve a defective band...because let's face it, every company that mass produces an item makes the odd 'lemon'...their butt is covered.

For the original post....surgery is scary, and this is most definitely surgery. As easy and quick as it is, some have problems and take longer to heal. That said, mine was very quick and uneventful... And after a year if my surgeon told me tomorrow that I would have to have it replaced every 5 years I would book my appointment for replacement surgery without hesitation.

Good luck in whatever you choose !!!

Patricia

11/16/06 - Band date

306/206/undecided

Surgery/today/goal

oh my gosh we are off by like one day, I attended the seminar 11/14/07, I have my consult on 11/28/07 but I dont have any other appts yet. I cant wait. I had wanted to do this a year ago and was scheduled and then my father got ill and my husband wasnt bheing too supportive and I just had toomuch going on, now we have a different insurance, and anyhoo, good luck to you.

I went to a seminar and the Dr. said that at one point that he would have said "it will last forever". However, now he hesitates to say this because there have been a couple cases recently from those who were banded over 10 years ago in Australia/Europe that have had to have it replaced..... quote]

Ok, now it got me wondering,, How would one know if there is problems with the Band due to erotion? Do you get an infection? Do you start hurting? headaches? fevers? gosh, hmm, not that I am changing my mind, I plan on doing this, but how would one know the band, either brand new, of a few years down the road, is having issues and or needs to be removed/replaced/readjusted/etc/? :)

I went to a seminar hosted by another doctor who really pushed bypass..even for me who is young and not morbidlly obese..When i talkedto my doc he said he couldnt make a comment, but hisPA sure did. Basically she said it came down to money. 70,000 and up for bypass...30-50000 for band..thats a good bit of diff and a good deal of money..now im not saying all docs are greedy, and many paitents are better suited for by-pass, just letting everyone out there know of a different option. As for any risks with a non-native object..You can develop these reactions to anything, some people develop them to thier own organs. They made the tubing and port as less invasive and threatening to the body as possible. Most people dont have problems with it bc weve all had saline in us and plastic at some point. Surgery is scary. I dont try to sway people one way or another...but I found that this piece of plastic in me, has helped me discover who am really am :)

good luck with your choice

Well I was told my surgeon (who will be doing my surgery) and at the seminar I did not hear this either... but they did say that the band is a silicone object. Chicks get silicone boobs everyday!! Those are just as much a foreign object in the body as the band is... So go figure... Think of what your LIFE would be like if you didn't take this risk right now... you will most likely continue to fail at these fad diets as we all have that's why we are here. We are all here trying to get our life in order none of us are getting this surgery for fun!! It's because we want to be happier people and live a healthier lifestyle. We are all scared of complications and this not working ... but just pray and hope for the best ... focus on this working have FAITH that things will be just fine!! None of us want to be at the Brookhaven hospital for the obese!! Yeah we have all seen that show LOL!! Thats the next step for most of us here if we don't follow through with this. Keep your chin up AND KEEP IT MOVING!! As my Nanny would say "Dry your eyes and put your big girl panties on"!!! LOL! Much love to everyone here!! Apples!!

Read Ariel Ortiz's book Lap-Band for Life.

Lap-Bands started in 1993 and I havent heard that those are being replaced. Thats over 10 years so far. Don':clap2:t give up just yet.