Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was all set to pursue this - then attended a seminar last night...

And of course, now I'm not so sure. I was very excited to learn about this procedure and then went to a seminar last night and I'm not so gung-ho now. The center that was having the seminar is a surgery of excellence and has a few other awards and certifications and they seem to really know what they are doing it. After asking, I was told they did they lapband by stitching the port and the band into place so that sounds good to help against the port flipping or band slippage. It was the physician's P.A. that was there giving the talk as the doctor was stuck in the O.R. He had prevously had Roux-En-Y which I can tell you after listening about recovery time, the surgery and risks itself and just the drastic nature of what might happen if you don't get enough Protein and keep on top of your Vitamins, it's pretty safe to say that I'm definitely not interested in that and that pushed me even further to looking into the lapband. The one thing he did say about the lapband that has me hesitating now is the fact that since the lapband is a foreign object in your body, like all foreign medical devices - be it hip replacement, knee replacement, etc., it will one day have to be replaced. Now if we're talking 10, 15 or 20 years from now, that's one thing but if it means one or two years from now I'm having to go back on the operating table because of a faulty device, etc., that's where the second thoughts are coming in. He did say that band erosion counted for about 1% of the occurences which sounds pretty low, I guess because the long term data isn't out there that I'm somewhat hesitant now. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this and sorry such a long post.

Thanks in advance!

Heather

I was surprised by your post. I have never heard anyone say the band would ever have to come out. I went to a seminar and they did not mention anything like that. I would like to know what others have heard about this. I will say tho that i love this band and i am so..... glad i did this. Donna PS welcome to the site.

Who knows, maybe he is just partial to the RNY since he had that done and that was just his opinion or speculation on it would eventually have to be replaced one day, but he sure made it sound like fact.

Oh and just to let everyone know, I'm not trying to change anyone's minds or stir the pot, I really do hope through research that I find out that what he said isn't necessarily so and maybe can pursue the lapband one day.

Thanks again!

Everything I heard at the seminar I attended says it's a lifetime thing. I wouldn't consider bypass and I've chosen lap band because of the lower rate of risks and complications.

Good luck in your decision!

I have attended 1 seminar. Then I learned my insurance does not cover that doctor...so I will be attending my second seminar on Thursday. I have never heard of this neither. I have been doing lots of research on the lapband as well.

Erosion, hernias, slippage are currently the most known conditions that are derived with consequences of the band needing removal or replacement. The actual percentage of people that require it are very low. Compare that to malabsorption and surgery risks of nip and tucking and moving and all that they do for all other bypass procedures.

With that said I would have to say he is being biased.

Either he is more comfortable with RNY which is what he might know best surgically performed more of.

I would contact his office and request his stats for surgery. He might just not feel that comfortable performing lapband if he does not have much experience performing it.

We could probably contact wassabubblebut for stats on your doctor.

Keep in mind this was the doctor's physician assistant not the actual doctor himself, so I may need to go back for the seminar when the actual doctor is there.

I would then definitely go back to a seminar when the actual Doctor that will be performing your surgery is there. He will be able to answer your questions directly. And should have more experience on all procedures.

Keep us informed.

:rolleyes:

While I haven't been told this by a doctor, I would not be surprised to find out I needed to get a new band 5 or 10 years from now (I've had mine for 3 years now). It just seems by that point the technology would be far more advanced (There is/was a device being tested in Germany for a more mechanical band where fills are done by remote instead of saline). It doesn't bother me to think I'd need to have another lapband surgery that far in the future.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth....

You are putting a foreign object in your body, but less than 1% have a reaction to that. From what I have researched and heard in seminars..the lapband is for life, there is a POSSIBIITY that after many years (over 10-15) it may need to be replaced..how ever the manufacturer states it is for life. Like any surgery or anything we do in life they have to try and give you all of the worst possibilities so you know them even though the reality of having it happen are slim.

I am not banded-paper work is in the hands of the insurance company as at this time, but have researched between the lapband and bypass for a year and have chosen the lapband for many reason.

Good luck on your journery, keep on this website as you will learn alot.

Sue

It is true.......... there is always the possibility of needing a revision or replacement, or to go back in and fix a port flip or a tube leak............ but the band has been around for 13 years (in other countries).......... only time will tell if you, me or the next guy will need a replacement....... my personal view on this is that if 5-7 years down the line I need a replacement.. I say BRING ON THE NEW AND IMPROVED VERSION!

Good luck with what ever you decide :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone. Maybe one of my mistakes is going over to the lapband complications and life without the lapband discussion pages, there just seems to be an awful lot of people having complications or needing to have theirs removed.

This question has been asked a lot on smartbandsters.com. There is a bariatric nurse that has had the lapband for 9 years now on this site. She has said on numerous occassions that the band will out last you. I know this is meant as a figure of speech but I trust unless you have one of those rare instances that can happen in all surgeries that this is something that most of us will never have to replace.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 54 year old, so I don't know about those of you in your 20's. Jessie just makes the blanket statement. She wrote a pretty good book about banding, too. She's been at goal for 8 years. She had to go to Mexico for her surgery and now works at a bariatric center in Washington.

Hope this helps.

I was told that the band is permanent and can be removed, if for some reason you decide the band is not for you. My surgeon recommends that you leave the band in, because you can gain the wieght loss back plus some extras. I don't think that a person who had gastric bypass and is that a full physician, should be giving the seminar. I recommend that you call and speak with the surgeon or another surgeon, that would be glad to answer your questions. I'm getting banded tomrrow and I'm not letting nothing stop that, I'm tired of being over wieght. The material the band is made of, can last for years, so I would not let that discourage me.

It's true, that not all surgeons want to go through the training necessary to do lapbands; and often have their own preferences. For my part, I researched the band several years before it was approved in the US, took another two years to get approved, had it removed after a slip, and had it put in again after two years. That was a year ago, and I still find every day a 'process.' I never went to a seminar, but was absolutely sure about my decision. It is a tool and has helped me lose a total of 75 pounds. I have heard of no reason to have it removed unless there is a problem.

heather i just attended seminar in spokane washington , and the northwest weight loss surgery clinic which is who put on the seminar and have thousands , said it does not have to be replpaced unless erossion takes place and that is very rare.

erossion only happpens if it (the band) gets absorbed into the stomach. it said all medical devices are at risk for failure but it is extremely rare in the lap band. hope this helps you feel better.

the seminar helped me to make my mind up to definitely have the procedure done.

tara--b