Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having surgery in 3 weeks and would love some reassurance

Hi people-

So my date is January 22. My mind is all over the place!! Im scared but hopeful. I have full confidence in my surgeon and the hospital. I feel prepared in terms of researching this to death. I know everyone's experience is vastly different which makes it so hard when you have No idea how you will recover.

I have anxiety in general so this is particularly hard for me to go forward thinking everything will be fine.

I have watched too many videos where people struggle, have complications, cant seem to drink their Water, cant get food down, have dumping...etc but I know in my logical brain that does not necessarily mean I'll have those issues. But my anxiety tells me to prepare for trouble.

I hate this kind of self defeating worry cause I REALLY believe in the mind/body connection. I know my feelings going into it can potentially affect the outcome and I need to get my head right!

What I'd love to know is if anyone had these worries before surgery such as, what if I struggle, what if I dont lose that much, what if I have a lot of pain, what if I can't manage to get anything down and then DIDN'T have these things happen?

I want to go into this being positive! My doctor literally called me a "perfect candidate" and lord knows he's run enough tests that I know I have absolutely no health issues. I have every reason to believe I'll have a good outcome but still...I worry so much!

Insights?

I did all the research and prepared myself for what might happen. I am a true believer so i also did a lot of praying for the month beforehand to make sure it was the right decision. I did not necessarily have thoughts about complications but i did have thoughts about not making it off the table.. After much prayer and research i felt in my heart this was the right thing to do. The morning i walked into the hospital it was like i was just going to another doctor appt. I had no issues or worries whatsoever! I have also been very lucky since i woke up from surgery. I am one of the ones that had no issues since waking up from anethesia.. Did not use pain pump at all once i woke up and was walking up and down the hallways since the day of surgery.. Now i have struggles, but all my struggles are mind struggles..how to eat, slow down, wait before eating and drinking so you dont make yourself sick. Learning to know when your full.. etc.. My cycle even came and went normally (even through it was late)... All you can do is be prepared so you know how to handle the things that do happen. I think just being prepared will help you eliminate stress because you will be armed with the knowledge on what to do to make it easier and better to get through it... Good luck on your journey!

Hi people-
So my date is January 22. My mind is all over the place!! Im scared but hopeful. I have full confidence in my surgeon and the hospital. I feel prepared in terms of researching this to death. I know everyone's experience is vastly different which makes it so hard when you have No idea how you will recover.
I have anxiety in general so this is particularly hard for me to go forward thinking everything will be fine.
I have watched too many videos where people struggle, have complications, cant seem to drink their Water, cant get food down, have dumping...etc but I know in my logical brain that does not necessarily mean I'll have those issues. But my anxiety tells me to prepare for trouble.
I hate this kind of self defeating worry cause I REALLY believe in the mind/body connection. I know my feelings going into it can potentially affect the outcome and I need to get my head right!
What I'd love to know is if anyone had these worries before surgery such as, what if I struggle, what if I dont lose that much, what if I have a lot of pain, what if I can't manage to get anything down and then DIDN'T have these things happen?
I want to go into this being positive! My doctor literally called me a "perfect candidate" and lord knows he's run enough tests that I know I have absolutely no health issues. I have every reason to believe I'll have a good outcome but still...I worry so much!
Insights?

I'm having mine on January 21st [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, morphing Mo said:

I'm having mine on January 21st

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

are you doing the RNY or sleeve?

I think it is good to keep in mind that even if you get a complication it will more than likely be just one and not the whole list of possible bad outcomes. And you can deal with it if it happens. I told myself I wouldn't worry about dumping unless it happened to me and then I would figure it out. And your surgeon has dealt with probably all possible complications so there will be a game plan. Just look at any complication as a hurdle. One you can jump with the right tools and support. So if you wind up being prone to dumping you figure out what triggers you and you stay away from it. And most hurdles get smaller as you heal. It gets easier to drink Water. You figure out the best way for you to get Protein in. Everyone is so different so there will be lots of advice available if you need it.

Well it's happening so I'm sort of trying to work it out in my mind that if I'm going to do it anyway I need to just try to get zen about it and let it happen. ugh!

Hi Jasmineinmymind...Congratulations on your journey! I too am scheduled to have surgery on the 22nd. This is mind-blowing that this is my first time Iogging onto the site to get answers and suggestions and the first post I see is yours. I too have had the same questions and concerns. I'm nervous and have this daily battle in my mind whether or not I want to go through with the surgery. I've talked to people that have had it, co-workers that have had it, I've read posts on Facebook, etc... but I'm still nervous and wondering if I'm making the right decision. So I prayed and asked God on yesterday to give me direction. You wouldn't believe I was eating dinner (Chinese) tonight and opened my Fortune cookie and my answer was there (see attached). Then I logged on to this site and saw your post...I think this is confirmation that I (we) must follow thru! Wishing you all the best!

20190103_202817.jpg

That was more than a Fortune Cookie, that was a Fortunate Cookie because it prompted you say Hi to your Surgery Day twin.

I’m scheduled for February 11th and am having all the same anxiety. I’m so worried I’m going to regret having the surgery and wish I could go back to “normal”. That said, I have 4 family members who have successfully had WLS with zero complications and tremendous results. Hugs.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:33 PM, RiaR said:

Where are you getting your surgery done ?

Sent from my SM-G950W using BariatricPal mobile app

UC Davis Sacramento

18 hours ago, Amyalyss said:

I’m scheduled for February 11th and am having all the same anxiety. I’m so worried I’m going to regret having the surgery and wish I could go back to “normal”. That said, I have 4 family members who have successfully had WLS with zero complications and tremendous results. Hugs.

Good to know!

And they say if Family Members have been successful, you will be also!😝🌈