Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does protein and fluid get easier?

I had a smooth recovery and I have had fantastic losses so far, but I am struggling so much with Fluid and Protein. I have a 30 gram shake a day but I am having trouble fitting in the rest of my protein. Today I made a chicken sausage for dinner and could only eat half, and that was forcing myself. Veggies are out of the question because I just don’t have room. I felt like I turned a corner this week with how much I could sip at a time but Water is still tough. When can I expect protein and water to be a little easier? It seems like when I do well with fluid I skimp in protein and vice versa. I follow the 30 minute rule but often I feel like it needs to be closer to an hour after eating before I can have water comfortably.

What does your day look like? I'm about a week ahead of you and, with planning, I'm doing OK on my Protein and liquid. i think it helps that I only eat veggie and seafood protein, which are lighter and easier to digest. My days typically look like this:

8 AM Premier shake (11oz liquid, 30 oz protein)

9 AM start on a 24 oz bottle of Water. Try to finish before lunch, but often have a couple sips left

12 lunch. Something like egg salad (about 1.5 eggs with greek yogurt, 10g protein) or ricotta bake (about 19g protein). If I eat something lower in protein like the egg salad, I'll have a babybel (5g protein) in the afternoon)

1: continue drinking

2:30 tea 16 oz or so, then some water (like another 8 oz or so)

7 dinner (2-ish oz shrimp or fish, about 12-15g protein with a TBL or so of veg)

8:30 - milk (13g protein for 8 oz)

so, that's a minimum of 67 oz of water and 70-74g protein.

One day I did it without shakes:

Breakfast - one egg, a small veggie sausage, and 5g cheese (17g protein

tea 14oz

Lunch - 2oz tofu 17g protein

water bottle 24 oz

snack: parm chips 17g protein

dinner: shrimp 14g protein

Snack: cocoa (12 oz milk, 1 TBL cocoa, 1 packet stevia) 14 g protein

4 oz water before bed

Total: 66 oz liquid, 78g protein

7 minutes ago, notmyname said:

What does your day look like? I'm about a week ahead of you and, with planning, I'm doing OK on my Protein and liquid. i think it helps that I only eat veggie and seafood Protein, which are lighter and easier to digest. My days typically look like this:

8 AM Premier shake (11oz liquid, 30 oz protein)

9 AM start on a 24 oz bottle of Water. Try to finish before lunch, but often have a couple sips left

12 lunch. Something like egg salad (about 1.5 eggs with greek yogurt, 10g protein) or ricotta bake (about 19g protein). If I eat something lower in protein like the egg salad, I'll have a babybel (5g protein) in the afternoon)

1: continue drinking

2:30 tea 16 oz or so, then some Water (like another 8 oz or so)

7 dinner (2-ish oz shrimp or fish, about 12-15g protein with a TBL or so of veg)

8:30 - milk (13g protein for 8 oz)

so, that's a minimum of 67 oz of water and 70-74g protein.

One day I did it without shakes:

Breakfast - one egg, a small veggie sausage, and 5g cheese (17g protein

tea 14oz

Lunch - 2oz tofu 17g protein

water bottle 24 oz

snack: parm chips 17g protein

dinner: shrimp 14g protein

Snack: cocoa (12 oz milk, 1 TBL cocoa, 1 packet stevia) 14 g protein

4 oz water before bed

Total: 66 oz liquid, 78g protein

Edited by Swanton_Bomb
Mistake

Thanks so much for posting your sample day, that really helps a lot. I'm going to try the parm chips, that seems like a ton of Protein for that amount of food.

Just now, Swanton_Bomb said:

Thanks so much for posting your sample day, that really helps a lot. I'm going to try the parm chips, that seems like a ton of Protein for that amount of food.

I got the Whisp brand from costco. They're tasty. Sometimes I have a serving at lunch with hummus.

Its something like 23 nickel-sized crisps for about 13 g Protein.

Also, I do miss veggies. I can't WAIT to be able to incorporate more of them.

Great menu example!!!!

IMHO part of the trouble people experience with getting their Protein in and eating is at least partially related to hydration issues. If you are dehydrated, your pouch is sticky and finicky. It makes it harder for food to go down and it hangs around in your pouch longer--you get full faster. I've heard this explained on YouTube but can't remember which doc talked about it.

I know for me, my RNY tummy if I don't get all my fluids in is more finicky and I have early satiety if I'm too dried out and irritated.

Try Oikos Triple Zero yogurt— has 15 g of Protein and no sugar

Also string cheese and turkey Jerky are great Snacks

Never heard of them, so I guess I'll follow along.