Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Harder Than Expected, and Easier Than Expected?

So far, what has been tougher than you thought it would be, and what has been easier? Hunger and resisting sweets has been easier than I thought it would be. I also had less pain and fatigue than I thought. What is harder than I thought is drinking Water, not eating and drinking at the same time and getting enough Protein. How about you?

4 minutes ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

So far, what has been tougher than you thought it would be, and what has been easier? Hunger and resisting sweets has been easier than I thought it would be. I also had less pain and fatigue than I thought. What is harder than I thought is drinking Water, not eating and drinking at the same time and getting enough Protein. How about you?

Drinking has been harder than I ever thought it would be. I still can't get down all my liquids. I also still have less energy than I thought I would.

Eating has been easier, and everything else has been easier. Living life - moving around, cleaning things, maintaining my home, etc has all been easier than I expected, quicker than I expected it to be.

The desire to experiment with more foods have disappeared.

I'm basically eating what I was by month 4, very few additions to the rotation.

Either I'm far too lazy for the chore (of complex cooking for myself with substitutions) or busy and would rather eat something really simple.

But

I'm a Michelin rated chef for anyone else (within reason, permitting I care enough lol)

The whole process is easier than i expected. I didnt have any pain once i woke up. I have no issues getting in Water or protein.. even my first cycle post surgery.. while late.. was normal.. I feel very lucky.. overall.

As for my struggles.. not drinking and eating at the same time.. and waiting in between. Getting sidetracked then having to catch up on my water. Trying to drink sip after sip without pausing and the biggest one.. Slowing down to eat. I seem to get too full too fast because i eat too fast. I need to install a habit of putting down the fork, spoon, whatever it is. and Chew Chew Chew.. Once i get these two things figured out.. I will probably be able to eat more. Right now i get full after 2 to 3 bites of anything and only eat 3 times a day.. I am now full menu so i need to be able start increasing my food intake somewhat so i can get more than meat (protein) in and start having a balanced meal.

Easier than expected... at 6 days out... appetite, Water consumption.

Harder than expected... these Protein Shakes. I cannot get this stuff down. I had no problems before surgery, but now I can barely get a sip down. It turns my stomach. Any tips/tricks would be immeasurably appreciated.

Also didn’t anticipate the pain being this intense or lasting this long.

4 minutes ago, Trix1017 said:

Easier than expected... at 6 days out... appetite, Water consumption.

Harder than expected... these Protein Shakes. I cannot get this stuff down. I had no problems before surgery, but now I can barely get a sip down. It turns my stomach. Any tips/tricks would be immeasurably appreciated.

Also didn’t anticipate the pain being this intense or lasting this long.

if you drink coffee use the shakes as Creamer. Get some sugar free Syrup and add flavor to the shakes to help the taste. I have heard some people say they add a little Water to thin it out some. I also get Protein2o. That has 15g of Protein and can be used to substitute some of the shakes. Premier also has a clear Protein Drink. I am now 6 weeks out and still have to drink shakes, but i have set aside the ready made ones for when i am on the go and bought 25g per scoop 100%whey and i make my own shakes now. It helps to change it up. Being 6 days out you are on full liquids probably.. Get some genepro.. its unflavored and can be mixed in your soups.. it has 30g per scoop ( and the scoops are tiny -so you get a lot out of the little bit).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Jazzy1125

Thank you so much! Super helpful AND hopeful.

i appreciate it, Jazzy... thank you!

7.5 weeks here... hard: getting my Water is still impossible and meeting Protein is improving but challenging. Also wasn't "anticipating" an ulcer so that's been annoying, pain-wise. Not weighing daily is a struggle. Finding a good, non-whey protein was hard due to my allergy. New poop habits can be a challenge, lol. Not drinking within 30 min of eating is hard because I am thirsty.

Easy: Had NO gas pain at all post-op... so that was easy. Have no cravings anymore. Very easy to control any hunger. No desire to snack. No desire to switch up foods. All that has been super easy... following an ultra strict regimen. Eating out easier than expected, no temptation.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there bariatric family ♡♡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/22/2018 at 4:39 PM, Jazzy1125 said:

Get some genepro.. its unflavored and can be mixed in your soups.. it has 30g per scoop ( and the scoops are tiny -so you get a lot out of the little bit).

GENEPRO has been sued, and lost for lying about their Protein content, they didn't even bother to show up in court to defend themselves. A very shady and deceptive company.

https://casetext.com/case/si03-inc-v-musclegen-research-inc

Edited by sillykitty

And I suspect Premiere Protein got their feelings hurt when somebody found out they were putting 23-26 instead of the 30 gr they were claimIng, and now my Wally World has only vanilla and chocolate, no Peaches and Creme which I dearly loved and drank faithfully. So don't tell they didn't have sales, because I was buying all I could find. Now I have had to switch to a powder which I don't like as much, just to find a non-vanilla flavor, the thick white tasteless item.

15 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

And I suspect Premiere Protein got their feelings hurt when somebody found out they were putting 23-26 instead of the 30 gr they were claimIng,

Premier Protein's situation isn't comparable. PP had 26.8 and 28.3 grams of Protein vs. the 30 grams advertised. In the lawsuit against GENEPRO claimed they had only 10 grams when they advertised 30, and Genepro didn't dispute that claim.