Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass tomorrow I am really nervous. What was surgery day like for you?

Call on me Teacher- I know the answer! Please Please Please!
Extra urine sample is for,pregnancy rule'out
Blood sample- my Bariatric hospitall will not operate on someone with blood sugar above 100. They rationalize- if you have been fasting for 8-14 hours and you are still THAT HIGH, it Bears more study. Happened to me, luckily I had been early, only had fasted for 5 hours, but my big bad self,laid there until they got one of 80 and became satisfied.

Wow more blood and pee? I already did pre-testing what else do they check for again with the blood on surgery day? But Im glad everything went well for you!!
My white(? I think?) blood cell count was a little high the last time I had blood drawn because I was just getting over a sinus infection when I had gotten blood drawn. Not high enough to postpone surgery, so he just wanted it checked. I'm pretty sure they took my urine test because they enjoy it so much. They have a collection of my blood and urine that they're using to frame me in case they ever commit a crime.

Sent from my LGL59BL using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't had surgery yet, but I just wanted to wish you good luck and please try not to be too scared! I am sure you will do just fine. :)

Sent from my H60-L04 using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, elcee said:

They can never be too careful

Girl, I hadn't gotten laid in 18 months AND have an IUD and they still did a blood test for pregnancy. C'mon now.... I'm not the Virgin Mary. Immaculate conception.

So I barely slept and woke up my husband at around 3:45AM. I showered and used Dial soap that they had advised me to take (they had these clothes, but they gave me an allergic reaction so I was told to shower with gold Dial soap.) I made sure we had everything, which consisted of:

Nintendo Switch (the handheld part and a charger - for my husband while we waited.)
Laptop (for my husband)
Kindle (for me)
Deodorant
Pajamas for both my husband and I
Change of clothes the next day for my husband and I
Gas-X Chewables
hair ties
and slip-resistant sock slippers (they were bears - I thought they were super cute.)

We got to the hospital and registered in. I got a little band around my wrist. They finally called us back after about 15 minutes. We got to a certain spot down the hallway and the Nurse turned around and told us that there is where the waiting parties advance ahead and the rest of us go into Pre-Op. I hugged my husband, gave him my purse and jacket, cried a little, and we parted ways.

The first thing they had me do was produce an urine sample. Then I was lead back into a room that had multiple beds with curtains separating each "area." I got to my space in the far back corner and was told to strip down completely, put my clothes into a bag, put on the purple gown, and lay in the bed. For the hour and half prior to my surgery, Nurses would come in and ask my health history, put in IVs, and essentially prep me for the surgery. I also got visitations from the anesthesiologist, the nurse anesthesiologist, and the surgeon himself. The amount of understanding and patience from these people (my nurse was nice too just as a reminder) was amazing. I know they get hundreds of people like me; scared and uncertain, but they made the time and effort to make sure I knew that I was in good hands.

Finally, it was time to wheel me away. I will say that this is where it gets a little hazy (especially towards the end.) One thing that struck me really interestingly about the whole experience being wheeled back to the OR is that it definitely does not look like what they show on TV. It was cold and very grey. But not. . . completely devoid of emotion. The atmosphere back there was one of focus (I dunno, I'm being weird.) I was wheeled into the room and everyone said hello to me. They asked me if I was comfortable and I said I was cold. . . they threw a warm blanket on me after I transferred to the operating table. They asked me if the relaxation medicine was working and I laughed and said not really, but it's okay, I feel better anyway. They positioned me a bit more and then the lady (who I had met earlier) said, "Okay, it's time. We're putting the medicine into your IV now."

And I was out.

Then I woke up.

This is probably the worst part of the entire day. I heard my name and that I was in the recovery room, but my first thoughts waking up are, "Okay, I guess I'm alive" and, "What the f**** is wrong with my back?"

The worst pain of the day, honestly the worst pain of the surgery, was my back from laying on it for about four hours. You see, general anesthesia does a number on me and it had been a time to rouse me (I wasn't in any danger, I just was really groggy from the medicine.) My throat was also dry and raw from the breathing tube and I could barely talk.

After about 30 minutes, they found a room for me and I was wheeled up to it so I could meet up with my husband.

I spent most of the day sleeping and then being woken up to get my vitals done.

I was really scared, but it ended up being a very positive experience (even with the pain in my back.)

It'll be okay. ❤️

Thank you so much for your whole experience! I survived and everything went well surgery wise and all my tests and vitals were good afterwards. It is now this pain and discomfort I have to deal with afterwards that is bothering me 😣😣

Thank you so much for your whole experience! I survived and everything went well surgery wise and all my tests and vitals were good afterwards. It is now this pain and discomfort I have to deal with afterwards that is bothering me
Glad It went well for you. The pain passes fairly quickly. You are going to do great!

Sent from my LGL59BL using BariatricPal mobile app