Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op leak



Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I originally wasn’t planning on joining or posting on this forum, but I’ve decided I want to tell my story to help and educate others. I’m 24 years old and the gastric sleeve surgery left me with a leak one week post op. I will first explain my symptoms in order to aid others if they may experience the same as I believe we should be educated on knowing the warning signs so we don’t just shrug it off as dehydration as I did. It started of with abdominal pain and feeling light headed, at first I assumed I needed to drink more and rest. I could feel something wasn’t right as I was 100% pain and nausea free the previous days. The next day I woke up my left shoulder and neck was hurting but it went away as I stood up. I felt nauseous from the upper abdominal pain I ended up vomiting. I went to emergency and there I had a fever, my heart rate was around 120 I believe. They suspected it was gastro or dehydration so they hooked me up to iv fluids. Blood test results came back and my inflammation markers were over 300 (normal range is 0-10) I had a ct scan where they discovered I had a leak. I was transported to the hospital where I had the surgery per my surgeons request. There I had a picc line inserted and had an endoscopy. The endoscopy showed nothing, and the surgeon suggested the leak was the size of a pinhole. To keep this short and not bore anyone, this is my 7th week in hospital about to be my 8th. I was lucky as I had no abscesses, therefore requiring no surgical intervention besides the endoscopy. I’ve had multiple ct scans, blood tests. I am nil by mouth and TPN overnight. I also suffered from another complication during my stay, picc line sepsis which wasn’t fun and I had an overnight stay in icu. I’m now on 3 different antibiotics including vancomycin for the sepsis. Currently I’m allowed the bariatric diet (liquids) on day two and getting lower left back pain.

It’s been a long, hard journey and everyday it’s difficult to stay positive as you think it’s never ending; but there will be an end eventually you just need to be patient and think about how strong you are for enduring this.

Thank you everyone for reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that’s awful. Glad they found the issue early and that you are in the right place getting treatment.Hope you heal 100%soon so that you are able to go home and start living your new life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Life of 🍑 just another TPN wishing you well, we are both going to win this battle. May take a while but I will be here in Ohio USA cheering for you! Please keep me updated, okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lifeofpeach said:

Hello everyone,

I originally wasn’t planning on joining or posting on this forum, but I’ve decided I want to tell my story to help and educate others. I’m 24 years old and the gastric sleeve surgery left me with a leak one week post op. I will first explain my symptoms in order to aid others if they may experience the same as I believe we should be educated on knowing the warning signs so we don’t just shrug it off as dehydration as I did. It started of with abdominal pain and feeling light headed, at first I assumed I needed to drink more and rest. I could feel something wasn’t right as I was 100% pain and nausea free the previous days. The next day I woke up my left shoulder and neck was hurting but it went away as I stood up. I felt nauseous from the upper abdominal pain I ended up vomiting. I went to emergency and there I had a fever, my heart rate was around 120 I believe. They suspected it was gastro or dehydration so they hooked me up to iv fluids. Blood test results came back and my inflammation markers were over 300 (normal range is 0-10) I had a ct scan where they discovered I had a leak. I was transported to the hospital where I had the surgery per my surgeons request. There I had a picc line inserted and had an endoscopy. The endoscopy showed nothing, and the surgeon suggested the leak was the size of a pinhole. To keep this short and not bore anyone, this is my 7th week in hospital about to be my 8th. I was lucky as I had no abscesses, therefore requiring no surgical intervention besides the endoscopy. I’ve had multiple ct scans, blood tests. I am nil by mouth and TPN overnight. I also suffered from another complication during my stay, picc line sepsis which wasn’t fun and I had an overnight stay in icu. I’m now on 3 different antibiotics including vancomycin for the sepsis. Currently I’m allowed the bariatric diet (liquids) on day two and getting lower left back pain.

It’s been a long, hard journey and everyday it’s difficult to stay positive as you think it’s never ending; but there will be an end eventually you just need to be patient and think about how strong you are for enduring this.

Thank you everyone for reading.

Thank you for sharing. Can't wait for you to get well ,home and happy. Stay strong ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awful. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you get well soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your story. I am 6 days post-op and was feeling pretty good until yesterday. Now I am having increased pain in my left side so much so it's hard to walk. I don't have a fever though, and my heart rate is normal, but I did get diarrhea today, so I am nervous as to what it could be. I called my doctor today and he said he thinks I might have over exerted myself and as long as I don't have the fever or high heart rate the pain should subside. I have a follow up with him on Friday but honestly this pain is the worst it has ever been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Newbie34 said:

Thanks for sharing your story. I am 6 days post-op and was feeling pretty good until yesterday. Now I am having increased pain in my left side so much so it's hard to walk. I don't have a fever though, and my heart rate is normal, but I did get diarrhea today, so I am nervous as to what it could be. I called my doctor today and he said he thinks I might have over exerted myself and as long as I don't have the fever or high heart rate the pain should subside. I have a follow up with him on Friday but honestly this pain is the worst it has ever been.

Hi love,

where is your left side pain located? Do you feel nauseous at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, Orchids&Dragons said:

That's awful. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you get well soon!

Thank you love xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 7:31 AM, GreenTealael said:

Thank you for sharing. Can't wait for you to get well ,home and happy. Stay strong ❤

Thank you 😊 xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 7:28 AM, Frustr8 said:

Life of 🍑 just another TPN wishing you well, we are both going to win this battle. May take a while but I will be here in Ohio USA cheering for you! Please keep me updated, okay?

Hi love,

I hope you’re going well with your battle! I’ve finaly been feeling ok without pain and the doctor said once my CRP levels are stable and low I can proceed to puréed food :) How is your TPN going? Wishing u all the best with your journey xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 7:28 AM, elcee said:

Wow that’s awful. Glad they found the issue early and that you are in the right place getting treatment.Hope you heal 100%soon so that you are able to go home and start living your new life

Thank you love :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lifeofpeach said:

Hi love,

where is your left side pain located? Do you feel nauseous at all?

It's mostly in my upper quadrant of my abdomen right behind my main incision. It goes through my body to my back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lifeofpeach said:

Hi love,

where is your left side pain located? Do you feel nauseous at all?

And no nausea at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • WeGettingThere

      Hey all! So I went in for my weight management class. I thought that would be my last one but I actually have to wait until the nutritionist clears me. She has to decide if I'm ready. I''m not mad at it. It looks like my surgery will be happening in the summertime. So instead of focusing on the surgery date, I'm putting my energy into losing weight and making sure all these appointments are taken care of. It feels like doing mini quests on a video game before trying to fight the BIG BOSS. I'm not ready for the BIG BOSS yet. haha. Feeling pretty good! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Goody222  »  Dana me

      Me too! I am following the plan. How about you?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jobber

      Finished my 6th and final NUT appointment yesterday.  Everything is done except the psych eval and submittal to insurance.  I did everything required of me including the 100 pages plus of food tracking, I lost 5% of my total weight, and I went to every NUT appointment.  
      Hoping for the best, things seem to be lining up well for me and in the end, I think I will be able to fully have my wife on board with this whole thing.  She says she is, but I know she doesn't think I should do it.  Just like I replied to another post earlier, i'm doing this either way, it's my decision at this point and I know I can get her to come around at some point and maybe even convince her to look into it as well.
      Also, I just started with an APAP machine a couple weeks ago and "holy sh*t" has my quality of life improved greatly so far.  I wish I had looked into this years ago.  I didn't think I had apnea until I had the study done and i stopped breathing an average of 12 times an hour.  That's nuts...
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AshMarie794

      1 year anniversary from the start of my journey. My very first apt with my surgeon. At my highest weight. And then now, post op 5 1/2 months. Life feels amazing and everything has changed. couldn't feel better! Down 100 lbs!!!! Seems crazy.....

      · 3 replies
      1. Chrisb428

        You look amazing, congrats!

      2. AshMarie794

        Thank you!

      3. GradyCat

        Way to go!

    • Aeasterling

      I'm 13 years out from having weight loss surgery. I would have to say it was the best choice I have ever made. I have been successful BUT now I'm feeling like I'm sliding back and getting comfortable with old eating habits. I absolutely do not want to ever go back to where I came from. I'm just needing support and some pointers to get me focused again. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×