Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you feel like yourself again?

Hey guys,

I’m only 2 days post-op and let me just say the last 2 days have been hell for me. Uncontrollable nausea is the absolute worst for me. The night after my surgery I could not stop vomiting blood. It was a 5 hour ordeal and it made my abdomen all the more sore. I can deal with the gas and the soreness, but the nausea is making this process so much more difficult. I can’t even get my Vitamins down without feeling the need to throw up. As a matter of fact, the only thing I ate today was a popsicle (and that took 1 hour to eat). I can’t take the smallest sips of Water without feeling like I need to vomit.

I have been getting my 30 minutes of walking in, but that’s the only thing I’ve been able to successfully do.

I know it’s early and that I need to be patient with myself, but right now it seems like there is no end in sight. When did you start feeling better? What did you do to get rid of the nausea? How long was your abdomen distended for? (Mine is quite large. I gained 8 pounds since my surgery). I really need to get my water and Protein in, but it seems impossible right now. Any advice or comments are welcome.

So sorry to hear you are having so much nausea. I had my sleeve 12/11 and I haven’t had any nausea. The nurse who did my discharge papers actually said out of 10 sleeves that day I was the only one not staying overnight and who had no nausea. I am having a hard time reaching the liquid goal but each day it’s luckily increased. My dietician and surgeon doesn’t allow you to start on Vitamins until week 3 and the first post-op week is Clear Liquids only, 2nd week clear and full and 3rd week puréed. I noticed my stomach is quite distended and I too have gained a few pounds post-op which is crazy since I haven’t eaten more than 500 calories (maybe not even that much) in 3 days. I notice when I get to 3 ounces I start to hear gurgling like a drain clogged and it starts to get uncomfortable so I think that is my limit. I have been walking a lot and I think my gas is almost gone. Hang in there.

Am really sorry it turned that way with you, actually nausea is no jock but try smelling some alcohol swab might help you, it helped me A LOT, and to me it didn't last for more than 3 days, waking is so good for the gas, try to open up your appetite with teeny tiny super small sips, increase gradually, all the best in your journey [emoji123]

Sent from my SM-N950F using BariatricPal mobile app

I never experienced anything that you are, I hope you feel better soon.

But I think I hit my stride and felt like surgery never happened 2 months post op. Hang in there!

Safe Journey 🎈

I was told not to worry about taking the Vitamins the first week post op. I guess the most important thing the first couple weeks is hydration. SF pop cycles and warm broth is supposed to go down easy. Maybe try those.

I had a little improvement each day with major improvement by day 6. It sucks but it won't take long.

They should give you some anti-nausea meds. I've been a post surgery vomiter so they gave me a prescription and I didnt throw up or feel nauseous. Focus on what's most important and just try to get Fluid in in any way you can, whatever grosses you out the least. All of my Protein Shakes and clear Protein tasted vile to me after surgery so there might be something else you can try. I almost made myself broth popsicles but luckily didnt. That probably would have made me yack!

Hello, I am 4 days post-op. My doctor prescribed me medicine for nausea and it works wonderfully. Gas-X and walking are going to be your two best friends to get over the stomach pain. I wish you a speeding recovery.

Thank you all for your responses! I am now 4 days post-op and am feeling SOOOOO much better! I still have difficulty with Vitamins but right now fluids and Protein are my priority. I can't stand Protein Shakes but protein Water is my savior!

I have very little gas pain and I am able to sit up on my own without grabbing onto anything for support. I also no longer need pain meds! The soreness in my abdomen is still there but it isn't anything to cry about.

I found that things that are too cold upset my stomach and give me very painful hiccups, so I've been drinking broth, room temperature water, protein water, etc. However, I don't mind my daily popsicle. I tried introducing some applesauce today but I could only take a few bites -- who cares though, it's progression!

I'm so glad I am feeling like a human being again. I haven't vomited or felt lightheaded since I was discharged. The key is patience! Every day gets a little bit better! :)

Every day, in every way, we can only get better, a journey of a thousand steps starts with just one. And you will love seeing the person you always felt you were start to emerge. And if you don't rule the world, you at least own your little corner of it! Congratulations on all of it!